A Question?

Yoshi112

Hello, I'm planning on making this fictional route. This route is more like a loop around town. I'm either going to make a light rail route or a narrow gauge loop around the fictional town. Now which should I add first, the tracks, the road, or the buildings? (Note: This is my first time making such a route so any tips will be helpful.) Thanks. :)

Hello, I'm planning on making this fictional route. This route is more like a loop around town. I'm either going to make a light rail route or a narrow gauge loop around the fictional town. Now which should I add first, the tracks, the road, or the buildings? (Note: This is my first time making such a route so any tips will be helpful.) Thanks. :)

Always lay Track first. Then Roads. Then you can fit the buildings in, and use smaller details to finish the empty parts off.

Use FT track as a guide, or radius guide template, so your curves are prototypical...between 90m and 1500m radius, athough some narrow gauge RR's had much smaller radius curves. Gradients should be generally less than 2%, but as high as 4%, or more if you're modeling the "Cog" Railway, Mt Washington NH.

generally, history has shown us, that the railroad is always first. If a town starts near a rail line, it will almost always take the shape of the track ... not the other way around..... the best way to start is to place track that would be considered "economically" correct for the railroad (in being, that only the needed amount of track is layed, and there is not too much excess that would cost valuable money).... then after, fill in the town (start with the mainstreet then work out)

Always lay Track first. Then Roads. Then you can fit the buildings in, and use smaller details to finish the empty parts off.

Hmmm.. that make sense. I just start with the track first before doing anything else. I think I just start off with an light rail route first.

Also unless your city is on completly flat ground, then work the topography as the very first thing. It is much harder to work the land around the track, then vice versa.

Matt

Back