A few questions

LNERlover5

Average Grad
Currently 2GB of RAM is not proving enough for the majority of tasks (FPS in Trainz drops to about 10). To upgrade to 4Gb DDR2 would cost a minimum of £30 but 8GB DDR3 would cost the same, future proof my system slightly and of course run at higher speeds. So my questions are.

.Will a Pentium D Extreme Edition 840 take to a new socket 775 Motherboard with DDR3 support?

.Will changing the motherboard mean i will have to reactivate Windows 7 (Its currently running in 32 Bit but i intend to re install as 64 bit)

The only reason I will stay with socket 775 is because my processor is still up to the task with specs similar to much more modern dual cores.

:)

As long as the psu+mobo are socket 775 you should have no problems.
Re-activate windows, I don't see why, your using the same hard drives.

Replacing the motherboard will require Windows to be re-activated.

No way around that.

Be aware that if it is an OEM version, it may reject the code, as it treats it as a new system.

Shane

1. There were plenty of motherboards that can do what you ask, though finding them today might be tricky and expensive; you may find it's more feasible to go with, say, a new Phenom system. At any rate, I know Gigabyte makes P45-based boards that support the 840 and DDR3, so look at their EP45 lineup. Most support DD2, but a lot support DDR3. I'm sure other brands based on that chipset have some as well. FYI, a few people lately have proposed to do what you're considering, though AFAIK they upgraded entirely with a new CPU and chipset.

2. Almost certainly. Also, if you have an OEM copy of Win7, that's tied to the motherboard; this does not just apply to OEM in the sense of copies that come from big manufacturers, but also if you buy a copy marked "OEM" from retailers like Tigerdirect.

Ok board, though not the best if you want to overclock, but that's a very good price. Also, you realize Trainz can't use more than 4Gb, right? And, in my experience, you won't get it to use much more than 2. I assume you want the extra memory for other stuff or as a hedge against future versions.

3.2 GHz default is enough although on my current board (Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H) I've hit 3.6 GHz (17 x 213, 1.2V) and could probably go further with a better cooler. I don't know how a G41 compares to a nForce 630i however.

As far as the RAM is concerned i'm aware of Trainz's limitations but as I use this machine for other intensive games such as Crysis I think 8GB will go down a treat and leave me with enough for several years. :D

Back