116302 on M1 Mac & Monterey: still not working

I cant' believe at my eyes: since the introduction of Monterey in October we don't have a working version of Trainz. In 115925 it could start up but all routes crashed randomly. Now, in 116302 as in 114841 it crashes at startup. I really admire the porting of Trainz on the M1 platform and the Metal framework as speed improvement and scenery quality have been far longer better than on similar Intel/OpenGL hardware, but... I have no words. Waiting and waiting and waiting... Or is 116302 just working with 12.1 and not with 12.2 which I updated just today (together with Trainz)?
I'll wait.

116302 won't launch on my M1 with Big Sur either.
see THIS POST in the '22 beta forum - I like to think the best and stay positive but it does makes me wonder which Mac machines N3V tests with. Luckily I have Windows to run Trainz on. I use the Mac install just to compare.

When trs19 sp3 came out worked like a charm. Finally it was playable alsoo on the Mac platform thanks to the Metal framework and was very smooth regardless the fps. This was on Big Sur. On Monterey (which, unfortunately, I was forced to swith to) was sluggish. Then sp4 came out and was a disaster. No way to launch it. Since then I have been able to run just 113925 with random crashes on any route and, again, smothness was gone. Maybe it's a Monterey problem but, please, Trainz developers, check out how smooth is x-plane on the Mac with Metal ALTHOUGH still for Intel platform.
IMHO, since ever, Trainz's graphics engine is a mess. Is that so impossible to move to Unreal graphics engine, as Train Sim World did,for example? Is it just a matter of royalties? I've paid 129$ for trs22 gold edition. No problem in paying a little extra for Unreal's royalties...

Last edited:
Or is 116302 just working with 12.1 and not with 12.2 which I updated just today (together with Trainz)?
I'll wait.
The same goes for me. 116302 is not working with 12.1 as well. The process makes me wonder if the gold class membership is worth it, on a Mac.

The same goes for me. 116302 is not working with 12.1 as well. The process makes me wonder if the gold class membership is worth it, on a Mac.

There's something I've found out: whenever it crashes for any reason (see below my main 2 reasons) it will crashes forever until you'll replace the data folder with a copy of the one I had with Trainz working. Therefore, when it crashes for the following matters here:

1) saving some routes at a a certain point
2) crashing at startup on variable frame rate display (I have 2)

I need to re copy the data folder from my backup to the HD in order to have a "virgin" data folder.

Regarding point 1: I suspect a pref file goes corrupted. But which?

Regarding point 2: we know Monterey is a disaster with external displays but... X-Plane works like a charm on both. Then?

There one thing that hasn't changed from Monterey's introduction: smothness. Either 27 fps on C&O routes or eithe 57/60 fps on the Hiddertalbahn route, it's sluggy. This an uncommon behaviour for graphic frameworks such as Metal an Vulkan (don't know DX12).

Investigating further. If I get news I'll inform the developers.

Remember... it's happening to me with Big Sur on my M1 Mini. (crashing at startup) - and after a brand new install. Won't even start the first time.

Remember... it's happening to me with Big Sur on my M1 Mini. (crashing at startup) - and after a brand new install. Won't even start the first time.

Also on mine (Big Sur - fresh install). But's notva crash, it's an error message from the app (can't remember the exact msg).

It'll be repaired soon enough.

Remember, this is beta and beta mean the program is released with caveats and for us to report bugs so they can be repaired. This is why it's always more than recommended and more like a mandatory step to use a separate database from the currently working version rather than updating that version to the current beta version for testing.

You do have a backup, don't you?

Thanks for the feedback. If you aren't able to run 116302 can you please provide your logs to QA@n3vgames.com

Click on Developer > Show Logs then copy and paste the full text into an email with details of your hardware and OS.

It'll be repaired soon enough.

Remember, this is beta and beta mean the program is released with caveats and for us to report bugs so they can be repaired. This is why it's always more than recommended and more like a mandatory step to use a separate database from the currently working version rather than updating that version to the current beta version for testing.

You do have a backup, don't you?
Thanks for the nuance. Yes, I can use an earlier version.

Thanks for the feedback. If you aren't able to run 116302 can you please provide your logs to QA@n3vgames.com

Click on Developer > Show Logs then copy and paste the full text into an email with details of your hardware and OS.

Big Sur 11.6
Mac Mini M1, 2020

Here my log as requested by qa. The following was also sent to QA via email.

Renderer initialization has failed.
Details follow:
Type: Shader compilation error.
Summary: GLESLinkProgram: Failed to link shader.
Details: Program name: UIShader.Error Description: Function frag_main is using language version 2.4 which is incompatible with this OS.
File: /Users/n3v-build/Perforce/cbergmann-m1-n3v-build/trainz/candidate/trs21_q2/engine/RenderAPIMetal/GLSLProgramMetal.mm:231
Details: Program name: UIShader-tex.Error Description: Function frag_main is using language version 2.4 which is incompatible with this OS.
File: /Users/n3v-build/Perforce/cbergmann-m1-n3v-build/trainz/candidate/trs21_q2/engine/RenderAPIMetal/GLSLProgramMetal.mm:231
Details: Program name: UIShader-voa.Error Description: Function frag_main is using language version 2.4 which is incompatible with this OS.
Details: Program name: UIShader-tex-voa.Error Description: Function frag_main is using language version 2.4 which is incompatible with this OS.
Details: Program name: QuadBlit.Error Description: Function frag_main is using language version 2.4 which is incompatible with this OS.
Summary: Failed to get the UI quad shader.
Details: Shader for thread: Draw.MultiSample : false.VertexColor : false.Masked : false.Layered : false
File: /Users/n3v-build/Perforce/cbergmann-m1-n3v-build/trainz/candidate/trs21_q2/engine/RenderServer/DrawInterface.cpp:103
Type: Unspecific generic initialization failure.
Summary: Failed to initialize the draw interface object.
Details:
File: /Users/n3v-build/Perforce/cbergmann-m1-n3v-build/trainz/candidate/trs21_q2/engine/RenderServer/RenderServerManager.cpp:520
Type: Unspecific generic initialization failure.
Summary: Failed to initialize the renderer.
Details:
File: /Users/n3v-build/Perforce/cbergmann-m1-n3v-build/trainz/candidate/trs21_q2/engine/RenderServer/RenderServerManager.cpp:1558
TrainzDRMClient::performPlanetAuranLogin> not yet authenticated with planet auran
TrainzDRMClient::performPlanetAuranLogin> logging in to planet auran cache
TADTaskThread::ThreadExec
Unable to start Database Repair - Engine startup failed
TrainzDRMClient::performPlanetAuranLogin> cache login successful, setting session cookie
Metal device name:Apple M1 lowPower:NO removable:NO headless:NO unifiedMemory:YES location:MTLDeviceLocationBuiltIn gpuFamily:MTLGPUFamilyMac2

I've just sent a couple of crash logs (launching the a game - no database) and launching Content Store in order to create a "virgin" database.
HTH.
Simon

Thanks guys - very helpful. We'll get an update out with a fix hopefully in the next couple of days.

Thanks guys - very helpful. We'll get an update out with a fix hopefully in the next couple of days.

If info helped at all I'm glad... I'm a Mac guy who built a PC just to run '19 when Early Release came out. I tried '19 on my old iMacs and MacBookPro but performance just wasn't there. I currently have '19 on my M1 and I have to say that I'm rather impressed at how well it runs. In fact, being a Mac guy, I'd love making the M1 my main Trainz machine. I like the "look" (gui and such) so much more. Even something like CM is so much better to the eye to me. But I'll keep the PC as my main Trainz machine as I can (obviously) run with higher and additional graphics settings. (I'm not convinced my monitor on the PC is good enough even though it is an ASUS gaming monitor.)

I have to say, '19 on an M1 is now a very good experience. I'm happy for those Mac users who don't have a PC gamer.

Excellant job Tony and N3V.

If info helped at all I'm glad... I'm a Mac guy who built a PC just to run '19 when Early Release came out. I tried '19 on my old iMacs and MacBookPro but performance just wasn't there. I currently have '19 on my M1 and I have to say that I'm rather impressed at how well it runs. In fact, being a Mac guy, I'd love making the M1 my main Trainz machine. I like the "look" (gui and such) so much more. Even something like CM is so much better to the eye to me. But I'll keep the PC as my main Trainz machine as I can (obviously) run with higher and additional graphics settings. (I'm not convinced my monitor on the PC is good enough even though it is an ASUS gaming monitor.)

I have to say, '19 on an M1 is now a very good experience. I'm happy for those Mac users who don't have a PC gamer.

if they bring out a mac mini in 2022 with a more powerful chip I'd seriously consider give one a go as my 2010 mac pro days are numbered re using trainz. My biggest issue is storage, the minis ssds are small and its horrendously expensive to upgrade. i also have many older drives and that may cause issues when shifting to a newer OS . I'd want to know just how well an M2 would play with higher end routes on trainz before i took the plunge. i can envisage a scenario where i still use a mac pro to make routes and to store most info and then having a mac mini to test or run routes for newer trainz versions as the mac pros wont run 2022.

The CPU side is enough. The GPU side should be enhanced.
Simon

Back