"08" Interlocking Smart Signals

DJReonic

Insane EMT
Hey, guys, I have a question. I'm trying to set up 4-Track crossovers on my route project, but I can't figure out the proper way to set up the 08 signals. Here's a screenie to show what I'm talking about.

gJ75crh.jpg

vZNJxrR.jpg

As-is, they display Limited Clear for the "straight" route, and then more restrictive aspects for the crossover routes. I'm trying to figure out how to set the "Forward" route so they will display "Clear" allowing trains passing through to continue at the set speed limit. Right now they are slowing down to go through interlockings, even if they are not changing tracks. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yeah pretty much what was posted above is how to set those. You can set them for just that first junction or you can set them all the way until the next signal. If the straight path is to navigate the turnouts you would need to set the R, L, F, accordingly.

Mike

F is forward. for 3 way junctions. Just for clarification, the Restricting option is so that the signal will display a restricting if there is enough room from the signal to another obstruction for a train. so for instance if you are following another train into the block and the signal detects there is enough room in the block for both trains, it will show a restricting. if the other train is stopped or begins to move in the opposite direction, the signal will display stop.

Last edited:
So this is rather interesting. I did what you suggested, and now I can get the 08's to display clear for trains running through the interlockings, but only on the CLight and Trilight signals. The Searchlight signals will default to Medium Clear, even though I'm setting them up exactly the same way as the other ones.

In this picture the signals are set up for the "straight" path through the interlocking. As you can see, the CLight and the Trilight behave properly, but the Searchlight does not. (Note: the signal on the far left has no train in front of it, and is supposed to display STOP when aligned for that track)

7OPamBm.jpg

you must be setting at least one of the directions incorrectly. keep in mind all of the directions are set from the single track end, even if you approach them from the opposite side. for example, your screenshot shows the first lever met by that searchlight to be Left

I went and set up a test interlocking on a blank board. I'm identifying the routes by the loco road name in the following shots. CSX: L.R.L.R, BNSF: R.R.L.L, and UP: R.L. There are 3 shots, each done with a different signal type (CLight, TriLight, and Searchlight, respectively) The last shot is of what happens with the Searchlights after you flip one of the switches back and forth to try and "reset" the route to straight.

XUXMSbu.jpg

CLights=PASS

r5mdPOB.jpg

TriLights=PASS

8kuf3w3.jpg

Searchlights=FAIL

1ruMnwU.jpg

I forced a STOP aspect by switching a junction out of alignment, and then switched it back. Both top heads go yellow for about a second, and then the signal goes back to Medium Clear (or whatever the red-green-red aspect is). It only happens with the Searchlights, and they are stock, right off the site, with no alterations.

The other signals in the shots are the respective 05's and 04's to the 08's.

Last edited:
I have had the situation when setting these do the same thing. Make the changes you need to set them right, then remove the test engines totally and replace them. This has happened a couple times to me and once I removed and replaced the engines I was testing it worked just fine. If you are still having trouble shoot me an email to supprt with this baseboard attached and I'll see if I can make any sense out of it.

PS: Not sure if you are working today or not, but you have a Southbound Q613 headed at you for Winston Yard in Lakeland. It has CP & BNSF power out front! Just crossed into Florida about 15 mins ago.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm not working today, Mike, but if the locos are still there tomorrow, and I get a call into Lakeland, I'll definitely look for it, and see if I can get a picture like i did when that CP GEVO was in Mulberry.

Hey, guys, I have a question. I'm trying to set up 4-Track crossovers on my route project, but I can't figure out the proper way to set up the 08 signals. Here's a screenie to show what I'm talking about.

gJ75crh.jpg

vZNJxrR.jpg

As-is, they display Limited Clear for the "straight" route, and then more restrictive aspects for the crossover routes. I'm trying to figure out how to set the "Forward" route so they will display "Clear" allowing trains passing through to continue at the set speed limit. Right now they are slowing down to go through interlockings, even if they are not changing tracks. Thanks.

Sorry to bump this thread but where did you get those overhead signal cantilevers?

Back