Why do some steam locomotive tenders have interiors within them?

screecher

So I found this a little weird. I picked up Bill Klene's Old PRR E6 from the DLS, and some other models. When I try to enter the cab interior on the loco, it says camera change rejected. When I go to the tender, the interior is an electrical cab car that is totally unrelated made by Auran. I just want to know why some people put this on their locos. Also, sometimes, the cab is embedded in the ground

Not wanting to criticise the work of asset creators, and creating a steam loco is one of the most difficult and time consuming tasks in Trainz, but sometimes a creator will take the easier path by using the interior of a different loco - but choosing the interior of an electric or diesel loco instead of one of the many available steam interiors is a strange one, to say the least.

I have never received a "camera change rejected" message so I can only speculate - perhaps there is no interior for that loco (is that even possible?). Likewise the cab being embedded in the ground is a new one for me - perhaps an error in one of its config.txt settings (speculation again)?

PS: I tried searching for this loco on the DLS with various combinations of "PRR" and "E6" but only found two by "wdkandsk". Could you identify the loco with its <kuid>?

Last edited:
Not wanting to criticise the work of asset creators, and creating a steam loco is one of the most difficult and time consuming tasks in Trainz, but sometimes a creator will take the easier path by using the interior of a different loco - but choosing the interior of an electric or diesel loco instead of one of the many available steam interiors is a strange one, to say the least.

I have never received a "camera change rejected" message so I can only speculate - perhaps there is no interior for that loco (is that even possible?). Likewise the cab being embedded in the ground is a new one for me - perhaps an error in one of its config.txt settings (speculation again)?

PS: I tried searching for this loco on the DLS with various combinations of "PRR" and "E6" but only found two by "wdkandsk". Could you identify the loco with its <kuid>?
@pware

This one, I think <kuid2:44797:111:1> PRR E6 #460 by wgkandsk - that's Bill's Trainz ID

Rico

I can confirm the following:-
  • The loco <kuid2:44797:111:1> PRR E6 #460 by wgkandsk does not have an interior as supplied by the creator
  • The loco tender <kuid2:44797:4540:2> Tender_E6 does have an interior from a non-steam loco (either diesel or electric). Any rolling stock asset can have an interior added by the creator so this in itself is not unusual (but not expected for a tender) and the choice of a loco interior is highly unusual and probably an error.
  • I did not notice the cab being "embedded in the ground" as per the original post above at any stage.
I did a simple experiment by copying the interior tag from the config.txt file of another steam loco and pasting it into the config.txt file of the PRR E6 #460 loco. When viewed in Driver, by pressing the "1" key, the loco now has an interior.

To further add to the above, the tender <kuid2:44797:4540:2> Tender_E6 does not have an interior tag in its config.txt file so it should not show an interior in Driver. I speculate that pressing "1" when the tender has the camera POV makes Trainz jump to the loco interior (which is normally the case when the rolling stock asset at the POV does not have an interior). Since the loco also lacks an interior then Trainz drags a "default" view out of its vault from somewhere since, like us, it expects the loco to have an interior view. This is speculation of course.

When the tender is at the camera POV in Driver and is coupled to the modified loco (with the interior tag added to its config.txt file) then pressing "1" will jump straight to the supplied loco interior (as is normal).

There is also someone who regularly doesn't provide interiors for steam locos and instead just uses the electric cab car interior for the tender

Oh and also if you uncouple the loco from its tender, you cannot go back into the cab
You can only go into the cab of a consist that has a driver. If you uncouple the lender from the loco then the tender (and any other attached rolling stock) no longer has an assigned driver, which always stays with the loco, so you cannot go into its cab.

Re the cab in the ground question - this is because the cab attachment point, a.cab0, is mismatched to the chosen interior. i.e. the mesh is in the wrong place. A cab mesh insertion point is at a.cab0.
Cab interiors can be harder to make than the loco itself and especially for steam locos. I often think that budding creators, having made their first loco, realise they need a cab and just bundle in an unsuitable cab and never test it.

I think that if you fail to specify a cab, the game will default to one called something like "Cab Gen QP60" (I can't recall the exact name), which is some sort of electric cab, so it could be this that people are seeing.

Back