Weird signal behavior - why?

MSGSapper

Trainz route developer
I am testing my New England Coastal route and have run into a problem. I have a <kuid2:45324:24341:3> Searchlight Signal 06-LD Gantry that is showing incorrect signal lights on the track. I have checked to make sure all track is connected correctly and it is. Here is what I am seeing:

Signals.jpg

As you can see the junction is not set to the left diverging path so the lower signal should be red. I have tried moving the signal closer and further away from the junction throw switch but the lights remain the same.

Any idea what is causing this and how to fix it?

Bob

it is reading the next signal and is an appropriate aspect for the straight route. it is saying approach the next signal prepared to diverge, if you look at your screenshot you can see the next switch set to diverge, so there is no problem here.

it is reading the next signal and is an appropriate aspect for the straight route. it is saying approach the next signal prepared to diverge, if you look at your screenshot you can see the next switch set to diverge, so there is no problem here.
The problem is the lower signal, which is for the left diverging track, not the upper signal. That lower signal should be red.

Bob

that's just not how they work. the aspect is "approach diverging" because the next signal is red over green for diverging clear. this is prototypical and intended operation. if the next signal were clear indicating a straight on path, then the signal would show green over red.

that's just not how they work. the aspect is "approach diverging" because the next signal is red over green for diverging clear. this is prototypical and intended operation. if the next signal were clear indicating a straight on path, then the signal would show green over red.
I am sure it is crystal clear to you, and I appreciate your trying to help me, but maybe I just don't understand how this is supposed to work with these particular gantry signals. See the following image:

Signal1.jpg

I have a lot of signals on this large route but only have seen this issue in just a couple of cases. In the image you will see three left diverging tracks which all end in dead end tracks which I put an "invisible signal" at the end of so my gantry signals work correctly. Here is what is shown:

1. In the first gantry signal past the locomotive the lower signal shows red as I see throughout my route in similar situations. Green for the upper part.

2. In the second I see a green for the lower part of the signal. For the upper part of the signal I see yellow. The upper part makes sense to me since the third signal shows red in the upper part. The lower part (green) makes no sense to me since I don't see this elsewhere on my route and I have not thrown the switch to have the locomotive go on the left diverging track.

3. In the third signal, lower part, I see a yellow. In the upper part I see red which makes sense. The lower part (yellow) makes sense since I threw the swith to have the loco go on the left diverging track.

At this point I am somewhat confused about what I see here, but in the end even if I don't undertsand this will probably just leave things be and accept what appears weird to me.

Bob

I am sure it is crystal clear to you, and I appreciate your trying to help me, but maybe I just don't understand how this is supposed to work with these particular gantry signals. See the following image:

Signal1.jpg

I have a lot of signals on this large route but only have seen this issue in just a couple of cases. In the image you will see three left diverging tracks which all end in dead end tracks which I put an "invisible signal" at the end of so my gantry signals work correctly. Here is what is shown:

1. In the first gantry signal past the locomotive the lower signal shows red as I see throughout my route in similar situations. Green for the upper part.

2. In the second I see a green for the lower part of the signal. For the upper part of the signal I see yellow. The upper part makes sense to me since the third signal shows red in the upper part. The lower part (green) makes no sense to me since I don't see this elsewhere on my route and I have not thrown the switch to have the locomotive go on the left diverging track.

3. In the third signal, lower part, I see a yellow. In the upper part I see red which makes sense. The lower part (yellow) makes sense since I threw the swith to have the loco go on the left diverging track.

At this point I am somewhat confused about what I see here, but in the end even if I don't undertsand this will probably just leave things be and accept what appears weird to me.

Bob
be careful what you say bob NS37 Designed and Built those signals for the game and Knows how things work to IRL and the Prototype operations of them..
Second 3 switch is Set for the Diverging Route and are showing Approach Medium or Limited Clear.. you start out with a Clear signal then Progress to an Approach Medium Signal which is set for the Diverging Route with the 3 Switch being set for the Diverging Route......

Signal1.jpg

Bob

Yes this is all correct. When a signal has multiple heads, it is to convey more information to the train crew about the situation ahead. You mustn't get confused into thinking the 2 lights can only mean top light for straight ahead and bottom light for the diverging route, while that is generally the message conveyed by the signal in most cases, it is not how the signal operates. If a signal has 3 heads for example, it doesn't mean there is a 3 way switch or anything like that, it just gives ability to display more information.

In the situation above where you have a 2 head signal with a 2 head signal beyond there is the ability to show more information than you could have with a single head. The signal is displaying an "approach diverging" (yellow on top = approach, lower head anything but red meaning meaning diverging) meaning the train needs to approach the next signal prepared to take the diverging route. It is also worth noting that this could be a valid signal indication even if the switch was thrown, assuming you have another signal protecting a junction along that line. The idea that the top light is for one direction and the bottom light for the other direction is a misconception.

Yes this is all correct. When a signal has multiple heads, it is to convey more information to the train crew about the situation ahead. You mustn't get confused into thinking the 2 lights can only mean top light for straight ahead and bottom light for the diverging route, while that is generally the message conveyed by the signal in most cases, it is not how the signal operates. If a signal has 3 heads for example, it doesn't mean there is a 3 way switch or anything like that, it just gives ability to display more information.

In the situation above where you have a 2 head signal with a 2 head signal beyond there is the ability to show more information than you could have with a single head. The signal is displaying an "approach diverging" (yellow on top = approach, lower head anything but red meaning meaning diverging) meaning the train needs to approach the next signal prepared to take the diverging route. It is also worth noting that this could be a valid signal indication even if the switch was thrown, assuming you have another signal protecting a junction along that line. The idea that the top light is for one direction and the bottom light for the other direction is a misconception.
OK, thank you for the explanation and clarification.

Bob

I'm wondering if the signals are too close to the switches and/or the switches trigger radius is defaulted to 20 meters. Try setting the switch radius to .5 meter.

Back