less lag for better runnings

so eh anyone know how to make the game lag less it seems to lag around 70% for me i put on the game on lowest gfx setting possable

how do i also add more squares in the model railway that you add deco on it im stupid and i couldnt still find how to
In Surveyor, click on the Topology tool in the upper right corner.
Go to the place where you want to add another baseboard.
Click on the Add/update ground button on the lower left.

A baseboard will be added with the grass on it ready for use.

Shorten the distance settings and change the performance sliders to lower settings.

Your hardware makes a big difference, if it's really low end then try running Middleton for Laptops and see how that goes. Most content for it is here: https://www.jatws.org/johnw/middleton.zip

I suspect you're trying to run this on a laptop? Do you know what your hardware is?

Thanks John
yes i am runing laptop and idk of the hardware thank you for your advice ill report back after my try on middleton

In Surveyor, click on the Topology tool in the upper right corner.
Go to the place where you want to add another baseboard.
Click on the Add/update ground button on the lower left.

A baseboard will be added with the grass on it ready for use.
thank you for the tip but can you place the baseboard in a place where you want it hope I'm not bugging you

Shorten the distance settings and change the performance sliders to lower settings.

Your hardware makes a big difference, if it's really low end then try running Middleton for Laptops and see how that goes. Most content for it is here: https://www.jatws.org/johnw/middleton.zip

I suspect you're trying to run this on a laptop? Do you know what your hardware is?

Thanks John
so a update i have no ideal what the middleton does all ik its just a tram engine now i dont mean to be rude but thats all ik sorry...

so a update i have no ideal what the middleton does all ik its just a tram engine now i dont mean to be rude but thats all ik sorry...
First just use it as a test. It should run as it doesn't require a lot of GPU to run. This will demonstrate if the software will run on your machine or not. If it will run without lagging then the next step is to select assets that will run on your machine. The loco is a tram engine because it's around 2,000 polys and there aren't that many locos that light in poly count. One or two small diesels will work.

What exactly is your hardware? I'm interested in the CPU and if you have a GPU what it is.

Thanks John

As background trainz draws assets by rendering lots of polygons. Your computer hardware has the capacity to render a given number of polygons in a given time. 24 frames per second is film so 24 is about the minimum to aim for. Generally speaking a 3D score of 10,000 https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php is thought to be reasonable for the GPU.

The content is mainly made by the community and varies enormously in how computer friendly it is. Some content creates take the view that if it runs on my i9 with a liquid cooled RTX 4090 that's fine and just look at the detail. Others try to create more efficient assets relying more on texture rather than polygons. You can get an idea of how demanding an asset is by looking in manage content, right click on the asset open, preview asset then look at the triangle count. Zoom out to see if it drops by using LOD.

Middleton for laptops uses a number of techniques to keep the demands on the computer low. It doesn't use speedtrees for example. All the wagons use the same base and repetition means less impact on the machine.

Laptops in general are designed to run from a battery so you pay a premium for low power parts which translates into low performance for games. Desktops on the other hand tend to be better but even here you need a decent graphics card and that means a decent power supply. If you can find one a refurbished Dell 5820 workstation, ideally direct from Dell with something like an RTX 4000 graphics card and an eighteen core W Xeon processor will give you reasonable performance at a reasonable price and the power supply is good enough to upgrade the video card at a later date.

Cheerio John

thank you for the tip but can you place the baseboard in a place where you want it hope I'm not bugging you
You're not bugging me. You need to click on an edge, if that's what you mean. As you click, your route grows in size by 720 x 720 meters. Three of these baseboards in a row are a bit over a mile from end to end.

Last edited:
First just use it as a test. It should run as it doesn't require a lot of GPU to run. This will demonstrate if the software will run on your machine or not. If it will run without lagging then the next step is to select assets that will run on your machine. The loco is a tram engine because it's around 2,000 polys and there aren't that many locos that light in poly count. One or two small diesels will work.

What exactly is your hardware? I'm interested in the CPU and if you have a GPU what it is.

Thanks John
now i think about it it has been running fairy smoothly now i think about it ill shall do the steps but uh wait what assists like the ones that come with the j70?

now i think about it it has been running fairy smoothly now i think about it ill shall do the steps but uh wait what assists like the ones that come with the j70?
A lot is going to depend on your hardware. A 1366 by 768 screen has 1,049,088 pixels that need to be driven, a 1920 by 1080 has 2,073,600 pixels so you need twice the computing power to get the same frames per second.

Some integrated graphics CPUs have a 3d score of 2,688 better than some standalone GPUs. Some gaming laptops have an RTX 4090 GPU with a 3d score of 28,138. https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

When you start trainz under developer is profiler, that will show you the frames per second on your machine you may have to <alt> <tab> windows to see it.

the 17_5 assets were just me playing around to see how computer friendly I could make them on they'd run on a low end lap top I had lying around.

Cheerio John

A lot is going to depend on your hardware. A 1366 by 768 screen has 1,049,088 pixels that need to be driven, a 1920 by 1080 has 2,073,600 pixels so you need twice the computing power to get the same frames per second.

Some integrated graphics CPUs have a 3d score of 2,688 better than some standalone GPUs. Some gaming laptops have an RTX 4090 GPU with a 3d score of 28,138. https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

When you start trainz under developer is profiler, that will show you the frames per second on your machine you may have to <alt> <tab> windows to see it.

the 17_5 assets were just me playing around to see how computer friendly I could make them on they'd run on a low end lap top I had lying around.

Cheerio John
thank you on the advice ill keep it noted

Back