Alternative Editing Software other than Photoshop

A thumbs up for Affinity. Apart from Affinity Photo they do Affinity Designer (vector) and Affinity Publisher (DTP) and they all integrate. Back in the day when I was a graphic designer it was all Adobe - apart from Quark Express - but the subscription was too onerous for me: the only currency my wallet deals in is moths. So Affinity - being a (very reasonable) one-off payment sealed the deal. I'm sure those other apps you highlighted are very good too.

Texture editors (all free) I use for Trainz

Gimp : perspective correction, everything with alpha
Windows Paint: most used for simpler editing and making textures
TGAtools: opening .TGA and editing coupled to Windows Paint
IrfanView: resize, rotate, resave, crop, color correction, tiling

use tools you master, not tools that have gazillion options you never use.

Gimp for adding text and graphics to the color map, editing normal maps, creating parameter maps and final tweaking of rough, AO and metal channels within. The upcoming release of Gimp 3 will add non destructive editing and import more font file formats.

I have tried several but always end up back on PaintDotNet, several others may have more features, but they are also harder to use, and none of them beat it on Price as it is Free.
A definite vote from me for PaintDotNET as well. It does what it says on the tin and it's simple to use. All of the goods wagons I've done that are now on the DLS had their texturing created with PainDotNET.

IRfanView is a fantastic little image editor that I use for most image processing - rotating, cropping, resizing and can also do bathes of files. If it needs complex editing, then I use GIMP.
I use MS Visio for drawing network maps but is not the best...I am open to suggestions for alternatives for my fictional London Underground style maps.

Well, I've used Photoshop for thirty years now and made many times the cost with it. I have the Photographers Bundle now. Ten dollars a month for the latest Photoshop and Lightroom as well as the mobile apps of both programs. Fair deal I say although I have given thought to trying out Luminar Neo for its AI features.

Well, I've used Photoshop for thirty years now and made many times the cost with it. I have the Photographers Bundle now. Ten dollars a month for the latest Photoshop and Lightroom as well as the mobile apps of both programs. Fair deal I say although I have given thought to trying out Luminar Neo for its AI features.
How do you get it for ten bucks when mine cost $21.00 a month??

How do you get it for ten bucks when mine cost $21.00 a month??
I had the $20 plan with 1 TB of online storage so when my annual term came up for renewal I searched the website and found a way of changing my plan to the one with just 20 GB of online storage which is $9.95 per month. As far as I could tell, you only have the option to change your plan in the month your plan renews. I couldn't do it until then. Remember although you pay monthly you have to commit to a plan for a year.

Here is that plan.

Look under your account for your renewal date.

I just looked at my account details to see what you should do. I logged into my account and then went to Manage my account, then Manage my plan and on that page I have change plan as an option. Now I may be seeing that because April is my renewal month.

Last edited:
I've been using GIMP for 12 years for all my reskinning. I'm probably too long in the tooth now to try anything else!

Back