Northern Arizona Route

I must say, I took a look at this thread and it taught me a couple of lessons for trainz such as patience and route building. Did you use Transdem to get the elevations. If you used Transdem, did you use basemaps or google earth as a reference or did you use memories and photos. Keep up the great work. It's amazing what you can find on the DLS. This looks very realistic.
Thanks, this route really started as a few baseboards I did for a screenshot of the week competition in November. In January I decided to start building a route from those original baseboards. It would be a realistic impression of the ATSF/BNSF mainlines between Flagstaff and the Lupton AZ. I’m using the new Mac version of Trainz. When I made the decision to map this route out more accurately I looked into DEM maps and Transdem. The problem is all elevation maps and Transdem are for Windows only. I found a map utility for Mac that gives me gives me the info I need (elevation, satellite, track and roads). I actually enjoy creating all the terrain by hand. It gives me the ability to improvise with terrain features to keep it visually interesting from trackside.

Here are a couple of new shots of areas I’m still filling in. ‘just having a little fun with the sign. There is no Bullwinkle Arizona.
Gordon

Thanks for the compliments. I knew that curve in the mainline would make a good screenshot location even when it was just track on bare baseboard. I also thought I’d try a little more detailing on I-40 as it will be running parallel off and on throughout the route.
Subconsciously combining Bullhead City and Winkleman?:D
I did not know about Winkleman (I Google mapped it) that’s a very small town. Anyway I still think there’s a place for Wasamotta U on this route, maybe somewhere in Flagstaff.
Gordon

GNdome55: Are you still planning to put something to gether and putting it on casper's thread,Scenery lets get real??I hope so because I sure admire what you are doing..

Thanks Bob, I do plan on contributing something to that thread. I have some screenshots ready but I’m not sure what to write about it. Keep up the good work Bob. I’ve enjoyed your screenshots and watching the progress you’ve made. Stay cool there in Arizona.
Gordon

Good night,

Gordon, you're an absolute master !

That's one of the most realistic screenshots I've seen ! Terribly atmospheric. ;)

Keep up your excellent work ! That's a Photograph...

Kind Regards Frédo93.

@Euphod, thanks, I’m sure I’ll find a place for your Mexican restaurant when I get to working on Flagstaff.

@FREDO93, thank you for those kind words!

Here’s another shot where the sky is an obvious focal point. This reminds me of a typical mid to late summer sky in Arizona. Oh yeah and there’s a train in the shot too.
Gordon

Deane’s Missouri Mexican restaurant fit right in Winslow Arizona.

The orange Arizona setting makes those Mexican murals look even more lurid! But I'm happy you found a place for it.

Your choice of bushes in that Winslow shot looks very natural and planting some in the sidewalks is a very nice touch.

Last edited:
Back