British Railways 9F

philskene

Some of the older members on this Forum may remember a session I did for my Riverside Railroad Company using the 9F by LieLestoSbrat (Rob Hill):

RRC_9F_01.jpg

RRC_9F_02.jpg

I've taken the 9F and modified it for use in TS2010. The modifications include a revised enginespec, sounds and changing the direct-drive tags. Unfortunately Rob's magnificent 9F cab is not TS2010 compatible so I had to substitute one of the cabs that comes with TS2010.

With the kind permission of Rob I've mounted this TS2010 version of the 9F on RapidShare. Many thanks to Rob for allowing me to do this.

I've used the locomotive in a session for the Krashnburne Railroad:

9F_05.jpg

For those who are not familiar the Krashnburne go here:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=61183&highlight=krashnburne

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=61575&highlight=krashnburne

and for a video go here:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=61823&highlight=krashnburne

The session with the 9F on the KRRCo is, in itself, quite simple:

"Charlie and Harry, this is Train Control.
The hoppers loaded with scrap standing in Transfer West are for unloading and leaving at Steptoes. The empty tank wagons in our main yard and at the fuel point at MultiManufacture are for leaving at Stoopid Fuels.
The bogey bolsters at the Port are for loading at the Heavy Lift Wharf. Unload the log at Wood Wurms and the steel slabs at MultiManufacture. Reload the bogey bolsters at Multi with girders and leave them for unloading at Heavy Lift.
Load the Procors at the Bulk Wharf and leave them in Transfer West.
Sign off at Loco. Remember to add coal and water to the tender before you depart.
Give priority to the mainline trains. In crossing loops the mainline trains will always take the right track. You must follow our Standard Operating Procedures at all times.
You are authorised to travel at up to 40mph except in yard areas where the normal limit apply.
Train Control out."

The combination of using Cab Control (and we all drive in Cab Control don't we?) where it is necessary to continuously adjust regulator, cut-off, boiler water feed and firing the fire box plus interacting and anticipating the movements of the AI makes it quite a challenge. in fact, about a two hour challenge.

However, the locomotive steams extremely well, is very responsive and is a real pleasure to drive on the route:

9F_01.jpg

9F_02.jpg

9F_03.jpg

(CONTINUES)

Last edited:
(CONTINUED)

When driving on the route it is essential to follow the five rules of the Standard Operating Procedures for the KRRCo:

1. The switches with tall switch stands must be returned to the straight through setting if the setting has been altered for switching purposes.
2. Do not follow directly behind an AI train into a single track section if there is the possibility that an opposing AI train will be waiting in the next crossing loop. If you do you might find that the AI train locks your facing switch.
During switching operations
3. If the player train runs forward over the switch leading to the single track, then it must continue moving forward until the last vehicle passes the signal behind the train, that is, the protecting the entry to the loop.
4. If the player train runs past the box with red and green lights standing to the right of the track in the single track section, then the train must proceed onwards into the next loop.
5. If the player train moves through the section of track between the Limit of Shunt signs, then the train must continue on until all the vehicles have cleared the signs.

In general, give priority to the AI. In crossing loops the AI will always take the right track.

The player train can take control of a single track section. Providing the player train has passed the box with red and green lights on a single track section before an oncoming AI train in a loop passes the signals allowing it to enter the single track section, the AI train will stop and allow the player train to continue onwards and enter the AI train loop.
_____

One situation that might arise is this (the locomotive is traveling tender first):

9F_04.jpg

The AI train following behind you has set the switch for the right diverge whereas you need to take the left. The switch will be locked by the AI but do NOT panic. When the AI train stops at the signal protecting the rear of your train the switch will be released, it can be changed for the left and you can proceed.

The route and session is for RS2010 + SP3. Unfortunately SP3 content does not appear on the Download Station. It will, however, appear in Content Manager (soon).

Phil

Last edited:
That's good news Phil! Just a thought - how does this version compare with the (presumably) TS2010 compliant version built into Settle & Carslisle? Just wondered if one will obsolete the other?

Paul

As long as the version number on the kuid of the locos doesn't exceed 5 then the S&C version will be automatically be substituted.

Rob

The session is now available in Content Manager.

Paul --

The version on RapidShare is :3 so, as Rob says, the S&C :5 will be substituted for it in the session. Actually, I was not aware that the S&C 9F was an updated version of the one on the Download Station - I'd always assumed it was a new model with a new kuid altogether.

If you do have problems with continuously popping safety valves or difficulty in maintaining boiler pressure with the S&C 9F, you might like to try the enginespec with my :3 version. It does perform extremely well, particularly with the correct driving technique.

Phil

The S&C and TC3 versions have a new models, and shortly after TC3 was released I updated the DLS 9F's including Black Prince and Evening Star to be TC3 Compatible. All the updated TC3 9F's where included in the S&C package. My plan all along was to update the DLS 9F's for TC3, which can still be downloaded from the TC3 website. Reason for this being if anyone imported a route and session that used them they could just download the updated versions and they should just automatically replace the old and work.

To drive the session, I'm looking for these kuids I miss:

Unknown Location: <kuid2:101839:1038:3>
Unknown Location: <kuid:311512:6002>
Unknown Location: <kuid:71662:52105>
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52039>
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52051>
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52052>
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52053>
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52054>
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52055>
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52056>
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52057>
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52058>
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52059>
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52060>
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52061>
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52062>

Some idea where I can find it? I just checked LieLestoSbrat material on the DLS unsuccessfully

Thank you for help.

Last edited:
Unknown Location: <kuid2:101839:1038:3> BR1G Tender Early logo on the DLS
Unknown Location: <kuid:311512:6002> Steam3 Auran content, TC3 and higher?
Unknown Location: <kuid:71662:52105> ?
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52039> 9f boiler shell black on the DLS
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52051> BR Dampers handle TC3/S&C only
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52052> BR Speedometer dial TC3/S&C Only
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52053> BR Boiler Pressure dial TC3/S&C Only
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52054> BR Steam Chest Pressure dial TC3/S&C Only
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52055> BR rocker grate TC3/S& Only
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52056> BR small handle TC3/S&C Only
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52057> BR steam brake TC3/S&C Only
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52058> BR Reverser body TC3/S&C Only
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52059> BR Water guage glass frames TC3/S&C Only
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52060> BR brake dial TC3/S&C Only
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52061> BR side window TC3/S&C Only
Unknown Location: <kuid:101839:52062> BR ventilator TC3/S&C Only

Hi Andrea --

"Some idea where I can find it? I just checked LieLestoSbrat material on the DLS unsuccessfully."

Hmmm - I've just downloaded the route and session plus the RapidShare file into a clean install of TS2010 + SP3 and the session does not need any of those assets.

Are you sure you have:
a) Installed the route correctly?
b) Downloaded the session?
c) Captured the missing dependencies for the BR TTA tank cars?
d) Downloaded and installed the locomotive and tender using the RapidShare link?

If you have, as I have just done, it should be perfect.

Hi Rob --

"The S&C and TC3 versions have a new models ... ."

If they are even better than the DLS versions they must be even more awesome.

Phil

Edit:

Andrea -- as an afterthought - you might have :5 of the locomotive and tender installed, and they are seeking those dependencies. If you have :5 try removing the loco and tender and installing the RapidShare cdp.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies.
I cannot download the second rapidshare (http://rapidshare.com/files/417173603/KrashnburneRRCo_Plus_Template_SixSessions.zip.html) file, because it give me I'm over the quota f DL, and I think the problem is there.
On the DLS I find <kuid2:101839:1038:2> but not <kuid2:101839:1038:3>.
The missing kuid belong to the BR 9f Double Chimney.
I use TS2010 SP3.
I will wait for the quota to clear up and then I'll try to download the sessions again.
Thank you anyway

Hi Phil,
d) Downloaded and installed the locomotive and tender using the RapidShare link?
I must be missing something. Where's that link? I only see links to other forum threads and over there only the locomotives from bdaneal are the obvious steam locs?

Greetings from overcast Amsterdam,

Jan

Let's all take a deep breath

There seems to be a lot of confusion, some of it probably of my own making.

Getting the 9F:

Because the build number is 3.3 the session will not appear on the Download Station.

Fire up Content Manager and in the "Search" pane type in Krashnburne. Search the Download Station. The Krashnburne route and sessions will appear in the main pane.

Drag and drop KrashnburneRRCo Session 7 into the "Download Helper" pane and download.

It will grab all that is needed, except perhaps the textures referred to above for the BR TTA tank cars.

The tank cars may have a "?" against them, so drag and drop them into the Download Helper pane and it should download the textures.

Now click on the session in the main pane. In the "Asset Details" pane on the bottom left there should be a thumbnail and below that some text:
This session is for the route KrashnburneRRCo. The session uses the British Railways 9F steam locomotive and tender by LieLestoSbrat (Rob Hill). I have modified the 9F for use in TS2010 by using a revised enginespec and sounds, and it has been mounted on RapidShare with the kind permission of Rob. Many thanks Rob. The 9F and tender can be downloaded from
and then the RapidShare download link.

Copy and paste the link into your Web browser, download the zip file, unzip and drag and drop the cdp fie into the main pane of Content Manager.

You should now be right to go.

The 9F versions:

:1 is for TRS2004 and is on the DLS.

:2 is for TRS2004 and is on the DLS. It has an expanded kuid table to help those who had difficulty finding the five thousand plus kuids needed by the cab. Unfortunately there is an error in the kuid table - there is one kuid that is not on the DLS (and is not needed by the locomotive anyway).

:1 and :2 may work in TS2010, but the sound will be out of sync and the performance may be a bit woeful. :2 will certainly need Compatibility Mode because of the missing kuid.

:3 is my revision for use in TS2010. The sound is in sync and it performs well. It does not need Compatibility Mode.

:5 is the TC3 version as mentioned above by Rob. This will certainly work in TS2010 but my enginespec in :3 might be an improvement over the TC3 version.

The session looks for :3. If :5 is present it will use that instead.

Please tell me if this helps.

Phil

Last edited:
After downloading the 9f from Rpidshare, I eliminate the textures <kuid:311512:6002> from the locomotive's config, and all seems to work.
Tomorrow I will give a try to the session.

Thank you for the help.

Hmmm - should I shout?

There's an old axiom that when the British travel overseas and talk to a native inhabitant who does not understand English, they SHOUT to make themselves understood.

So 505657j -- READ MY POSTING ABOVE AND IN PARTICULAR "GETTING THE 9F".

Anybody else having problems?

Phil

Last edited:
Now click on the session in the main pane. In the "Asset Details" pane on the bottom left there should be a thumbnail and below that some text:
[snip]
and then the RapidShare download link.

Copy and paste the link into your Web browser, download the zip file, unzip and drag and drop the cdp fie into the main pane of Content Manager.

You should now be right to go.
Hi Phil,

I feel a little dumb now :hehe: , since you've allways mentioned the needed rapidshare link in the descriptions of your sessions. I just didn't think of looking there.
From this point on all went well, thanks. :cool:

Greetings from rainy Amsterdam,

Jan

I just come out from a little playing with your sessions. Very good. It is complex enough to keep people interested a little more then the usual few minutes.
Compliments, I like it!

There's an old axiom that when the British travel overseas and talk to a native inhabitant who does not understand English, they SHOUT to make themselves understood.
So 505657j -- READ MY POSTING ABOVE AND IN PARTICULAR "GETTING THE 9F". Anybody else having problems? Phil

Deleted by poster.

Sorry Phil, initially had trouble downloading the file, but managed to get it on the second attempt. - http://rs662.rapidshare.com/files/419140023/Euro_Loco_BR_9F_TS2010.zip
Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
Back