Model Railroadz

This thread is amazing and the idea behind it is fantastic. I'm very impressed by all the great screen shots and helpful "how to" hints that have been posted here, and it has rekindled my interest in Trainz after a very long absence.

I started tinkering with a few ideas, and have come up with a process for transferring printed track plans into Trainz as high-resolution pseudo-basemaps that are shaped like the layout itself. There are many details still to be worked out, but I wanted to share my progress so far and start getting some feedback. The following images show the Fox River Grove RR, a 12x12 foot N-Scale layout that appeared in the February 1975 issue of Model Railroader and was designed by Frank E. Stastny. It has been one of my favorite plans for a long time, so I decided to use it for my testing; although, seeing it now, I do not think I would actually build it in Trainz as there is too much hidden track.

In any case the images that follow show the results of my experiments so far. The layout was put together very quickly and is not intended to be any great showpiece, just to demonstrate what I am trying to accomplish.

Shot #1 is the overall layout.

Shots #2 and #3 show the detail that is possible with my method.

Shot #4 shows what the image looks like when you are zoomed in close enough to actually do some work.

In the end this actually wasn't all that hard to achieve, although there were several subtle "gotchas" that I discovered along the way that turned out to be very important to achieving the right end result. The only tools I used were IrfanView, SketchUp and my RubyTMIX exporter; in fact, I think the "surrounding room" could also be done with SketchUp and RubyTMIX, but my experiments have not reached that point yet.

Opinions about this process are welcome. Once I get the bugs worked out, and figure out just how much can really be done, I will certainly be glad to write up a tutorial if there is sufficient interest.

Thanks again to the OP for this awesome idea and for everyone who has contributed to this thread so far.

Regards,
-Mike
I've been looking to do something similar, if you'd write up that tutorial at least one person would be grateful.

Looks interesting to me. Would be nice to be able to do as there are some routes I would like to make. The only thing I could see that would be hard to do is make terrain with this as the 'image' would move up and down. Is there a way to lock and objects height? I guess you could lay all the track then make the terrain would have to play around with it I suppose.

In practice this would work exactly like a regular basemap or a flat UTM tile; you would push the image object down below the terrain and then use wireframe view to do your track work, laying it all "on the flat" without regard to final elevations. Once the track is laid, then you can adjust elevations and do terrain from there. It would also be helpful to place the plan image on its own layer so its visibility can be turned off when needed, and of course at the end the basemap object would simply be deleted.

Regards,
-Mike

That is a great idea! I think I might try doing that with me and my dad's track plan of our yet-to-be built MRR. It might me a little harder because it is double decked... I will

try though.

He is a shot on my new Industrial module, I like this route, although it KILLS my frames, anyone have ideas for a computer that will run Trainz well? I 'm looking into building

one but dont exactly know what i want...

Last edited:
How to get a printed track plan into Trainz as a Basemap

Very briefly, the process is as follows. Programs required are IrfanView, SketchUp and the RubyTMIX plug-in for SketchUp - all freely available at the links provided.

1. Obtain an image of the track plan (i.e. scan it from a magazine). Try to get it as a bitmap as that will give you the best clarity; JPG and other compressed formats are lossy by definition.

2. Know the real size of the plan and its width/height relationship; i.e. is the layout 4x8 feet, 12x12 feet, etc. Also know the modeling scale of the plan (N, HO, etc.) Calculate the width-height ratio of the track plan area of the image as width divided by height, and write this number down.

3. Load the plan image into IrfanView and see if it is straight or crooked (skewed). If it is skewed you will need to use the "Custom / Fine Rotation" tool on the Image menu (Ctrl+U) to rotate the image very slightly until it is square. This will take some experimentation. Note that the value you type into the "Fine Rotation" dialog is cumulative, not a total rotation number; so if you need to make multiple adjustments, it is best to reload the image each time, since that will maintain the best image clarity (ie you are not rotating an image that has already had its quality reduced by a prior rotation).

4. When the image is square, use the selection tool in IrfanView to select the area that contains the actual track plan. As you resize and move the selection rectangle, watch the IrfanView title bar; it will show the size of the selection rectangle and the ratio of width vs height. It is critical that this ratio number matches the number you wrote down in step 2. If you need to tweak the selection rectangle to get the right ratio number, add extra space around the outside of the plan.

5. When the selection rectangle is the right size and ratio, use the Crop Selection function on the Edit menu (Ctrl+Y) and then save the result to a new file (Ctrl+S) - be sure to name this file differently (i.e. add "- Cropped" to the end of the name) so you don't overwrite the original scanned image. Again a bitmap is best to retain the highest quality.

6. Open SketchUp. Multiply the width and height of your track plan by the scale factor for the modeling scale; ie multiply by 160 for N, 87.1 for HO, etc. Draw a rectangle that matches the calculated size and which starts at the SketchUp origin. For example, if you have a 4x8 foot layout that you want to re-create in HO scale, your rectangle would be (4 x 87.1) by (8 x 87.1), or 348.4 feet by 696.8 feet. In the N-scale example I showed, the track plan was 12x12 feet so my rectangle in SketchUp was 1920x1920 feet.

7. Go to File->Import and import the track plan image you cropped and saved from IrfanView. Be sure the option 'Use as Texture' is selected in the Open File dialog. Apply the imported texture to the rectangle by clicking first at the lower left corner, then at the upper right corner. If you were careful to make sure the ratio number of your selection in IrfanView was correct, then the image of the plan should snap right into place at the opposite corners of the rectangle.

8. Use the drawing tools in SketchUp to remove any unwanted parts of the image. For example if you had an L-shaped plan, you would want to use the line tool to create new faces for the areas that fall outside the plan image, and then delete those faces. You can also use the arc tool for rounded corners.

9. EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: Once you have the track plan trimmed as desired, right-click the plan and choose 'Make Unique Texture' from the context menu.

10. Save the model in its own folder as you normally would for any RubyTMIX model. Export the track plan using RubyTMIX just as you would any other object, and import it into Trainz in the normal fashion. This is your custom-shaped "basemap".

11. Start a new route. In the Terrain tab, right-click the Add Terrain button and, in the dialog that appears, set the terrain to 5m resolution; this will help with terrain shaping later on. Next, go to the Layers tab and add a layer called 'Basemap', and leave that layer active. Now go to the Objects tab, find your basemap, and position it on the terrain in relation to the 10m gridlines so you can cut as close to the edges of the basemap as possible with your dig holes without having to actually chop away pieces of the plan (dig holes only operate on the 10m grid).

You should now have your track plan in Trainz, properly sized and positioned. From here, the process is the same as for any other "layout" as already discussed earlier in this forum.

Please note that this process will probably only work well for track plans that are less than 1 baseboard in size, as Trainz has trouble dealing with very large objects.

I hope this helps folks get started in the short term, as it is going to take a fair bit of time to create a proper tutorial with screen shots, and which also accounts for very large layouts and special cases like layouts that go through walls and so on. I also want to do some more experimentation with a few other ideas related to this and, if things work out as I hope they might, I will include that information in the formal tutorial as well.

Regards,
-Mike

Last edited:
should be simple enough to follow the directions but if I get time I may try and do a tutorial video (no guarantees.) Everything is basically simple the only thing I'll probably have a problem with is RTMIX and that's just because I don't use it often enough to know how to get all my files in one place >.>

HI there Jackie G
I was wondering where you got those SOO loco's from
They look very nice
Chris Sullivan

PS
Also this new fan-dangle idea that MODELER MJ has come up with
what programs do I need to do this

The SOO locomotives can be found here: http://trainzforge.weebly.com/new-releases.html

Haven't added much lately-
fce82ac7420007abdca642f71fca971b.jpg

406a3047bb35ffdb403ccf18b43caa02.jpg

Did some more work on my little Industrial route. I'm kinda liking how this is turning out, tell me what you think.

Looks good other than it needs some more junk along the line to give it that really back alley industrial look. But its a good start.

Thats looking fantastic, Jackie! I nice start to a fun switching layout I'd say :D
Do you mind if I ask the name and author of those buildings, mainly the brick ones. They look like suitable structures for my own project :)

Cheers
Stevo

Thanks Chad and Stevo! They are called "Industrial Building 1-21" they are by Auran so i'm guessing they are built-in to TS12. They are very hi quality and dont kill frames,

so I highly recommend them! More shots coming later today so look out for those!

Cheers, Jackson

*Update*

So no one has posted since I have this morning so I'm just going to add in my promised screenshots!

*Continues on next post*

Last edited:
Back