National Train day 2014!!!

amtrak2041864

High Speed Rail!!
May 10th, 2014. The day most railbuffs/Amtrak enthusiast long for is coming and here is Amtrak's Promo

Passenger rail travel is to me, a very special travel option as it allows a person to have a mini vaction before getting to where they have to go or back to the real world. With that said I support Amtrak and all passenger rail systems. I don't hate something because it loses money or to others it is for other countries but this is America. And from what I know, America is where I live and traveling across this land on a train is breathtaking. National Train Day 2014! Also you can't ride a freight train. How about (if you want to), relate an experence or your feelings about passenger travel/Amtrak trip, lets keep it postive.
Thanks For Your Time!

National Train Day Link

Have any enthusiasts traveled from Toronto to Albany on Amtrak? It kind of deflates the enthusiasm out of the enthusiast. In entails an disorganized 3-1/2 hour US boarder crossing, bathrooms smelling up entire coaches, bouncey and rickety trackwork not suitable for passenger cars and speeds. An eight hour trip can turn into a whole day, and you feel like *&(* when you get off the train.

Also the Vermonter, when it gets to Palmer, Massachusetts has to do a reverse switchback (usually entailing a 1/2 hour of deadtime becuase they also wait for CSX and the NECR to clear the diamond), just because, for all these millennium, they do not want to spend the money to install a west to north interchange track at the diamond.

I haven't been on Amtrak California, but the only halfway decent service in the east is the auto-train between Virginia and Florida, but now thats gone downhill because they converted all the observation cars into dining room style seating.

It costs over $100 to go between Boston to New York, about 275 miles.

IMHO, publicity will get some more one-time riders.

Passenger rail travel is to me, a very special travel option as it allows a person to have a mini vaction before getting to where they have to go or back to the real world. With that said I support Amtrak and all passenger rail systems. I don't hate something because it loses money or to others it is for other countries but this is America...
Thanks For Your Time!

National Train Day Link

An economy can be no stronger than its transportation infrastructure.
With the rising price of fuel, it's becoming more difficult to drive, intercity buses are dropping smaller markets and airlines are retreating to key hubs. It's time to let the trains expand to meet the existing demand so we can keep our economy moving.

An economy can be no stronger than its transportation infrastructure.
With the rising price of fuel, it's becoming more difficult to drive, intercity buses are dropping smaller markets and airlines are retreating to key hubs. It's time to let the trains expand to meet the existing demand so we can keep our economy moving.

Absolutely, but Amtrak has been part of that retreat, and has not filled in those small markets. In fact they have retreated from classic major passenger routes, such as the B&O route east of Chicago.

I haven't been on Amtrak California, but the only halfway decent service in the east is the auto-train between Virginia and Florida, but now thats gone downhill because they converted all the observation cars into dining room style seating.
Actually, The Auto Train now has 1 Sightseeing and 1 Lounge car, and has a 4 star rating, but lately it has been running a little late. like 1-5 hours late, but that's mainly CSX fault, lol

Actually, The Auto Train now has 1 Sightseeing and 1 Lounge car, and has a 4 star rating, but lately it has been running a little late. like 1-5 hours late, but that's mainly CSX fault, lol

But the revision of the Sightseeing car from beautiful swiveling high chairs to fixed dining style table and chairs is not CSX's fault.

Have any enthusiasts traveled from Toronto to Albany on Amtrak? It kind of deflates the enthusiasm out of the enthusiast. In entails an disorganized 3-1/2 hour US boarder crossing,
That isn't Amtrak's problem. They can only pass thru Customs & Immigration as fast as C&I will let them. They've actually sped up the process recently. But if you think about it, 3.5hrs is actually pretty fast for a couple agents to do 300 or so people (I don't have the ridership numbers, but 300 is about a good average for a train that size). On average I would expect to wait about 15+ mins to cross the border in my car by my self, and thats one agent doing less the a dozen people.

bathrooms smelling up entire coaches,
It's a known fact that Amtrak needs new equipment, and they are getting some. But it's pretty hard for Amtrak to buy new equipment when they lower their budget every year (that's not entirely true, but good enough for arguments sake).

bouncey and rickety trackwork not suitable for passenger cars and speeds. An eight hour trip can turn into a whole day, and you feel like *&(* when you get off the train.
Again not anything Amtrak can do. That is the host railroad's responsbility, there are standards that are supposed to be held, but the agency charged with overseeing them is in the pockets of the freights & has no real thing they can about it besides say "hey you need to do this" it ain't going to happen.

Also the Vermonter, when it gets to Palmer, Massachusetts has to do a reverse switchback (usually entailing a 1/2 hour of deadtime becuase they also wait for CSX and the NECR to clear the diamond), just because, for all these millennium, they do not want to spend the money to install a west to north interchange track at the diamond.
More likely is that they can't. Amtrak has one of the smallest budgets in the Federal Government & in generally every year it shrinks (as more gets put into defense...). Our Federal Government (namely the republican party) will not fund Amtrak to the point it needs; until that changes. Your not going to see the improvements you want.

It costs over $100 to go between Boston to New York, about 275 miles.

IMHO, publicity will get some more one-time riders.
Sounds like you haven't been on the NEC. Trains are regularly on time, it's used every day by way more people then AmCal. And sure if I were to walk into Penn Station tomorrow & buy a ticket for the next Regional north to Boston (South) it'll cost me about $125, which actually isn't that bad. But who buys tickets to travel (long distance) on the same day? Most people buy their tickets, regardless if it's for Air, Bus, or Train; in advance. If I buy a ticket right now to travel 3 weeks from now, it's less then $75. And if I bought one for almost a year from now? $50.

This is my problem when people start complaining about Amtrak (especially pricing) they look at it in way you wouldn't for other forms of transport. I regularly see people compare a first class Amtrak fare to an economy class air fare.

Absolutely, but Amtrak has been part of that retreat, and has not filled in those small markets. In fact they have retreated from classic major passenger routes, such as the B&O route east of Chicago.
It's bigger then Amtrak my friend, it's the Feds. Get the Feds funding Amtrak & you'll see Amtrak expand and become better. So write to you're senators & congressmen!

peter

Unfortunately, Amtrak is a typical butt-backward government entity. Combined with the questionable practicality of its product (outside the Northeast Corridor and a few well-travelled routes,) Amtrak needs to clean up its act or let someone else take over the viable routes.

@PerRock:

It is not a question of whose fault it is, if you read the conclusion of my first post, it is a question of whether it is worth investing major publicity dollars in a National Train Day for Amtrak if the new customers will be one time customers. I guess the answer is: even if they break even, it is worth it.

More likely is that they can't. Amtrak has one of the smallest budgets in the Federal Government & in generally every year it shrinks (as more gets put into defense...). Our Federal Government (namely the republican party) will not fund Amtrak to the point it needs; until that changes. Your not going to see the improvements you want.

Democrats had full control of Congress from 2007 until 2011 and have control of the Senate to this day. Might want to check the facts a bit. One party is not denying anything. Until passenger hauling becomes profitable nothing will happen. I would rather my tax dollars go towards helping existing railroads expand trackage across the country and allow them to take on passenger service again. *Billions are wasted on pipe dream high speed rail that could have gone to regional carriers with existing trackage being torn up for scrap. Look at Rails to Trails. Give regional shortlines the money and use existing abandoned trackage to set the seed. If you think I'm going to drive 30 miles to take a train the existing 40 miles you're crazy. Hop a local to get to the corridors I'm there.

Democrats had full control of Congress from 2007 until 2011 and have control of the Senate to this day. Might want to check the facts a bit. One party is not denying anything. Until passenger hauling becomes profitable nothing will happen. I would rather my tax dollars go towards helping existing railroads expand trackage across the country and allow them to take on passenger service again. *Billions are wasted on pipe dream high speed rail that could have gone to regional carriers with existing trackage being torn up for scrap. Look at Rails to Trails. Give regional shortlines the money and use existing abandoned trackage to set the seed. If you think I'm going to drive 30 miles to take a train the existing 40 miles you're crazy. Hop a local to get to the corridors I'm there.

You've made an excellent point, and something I ran into last year when I investigated taking the train from Boston to Oklahoma City for a storm chasing trip. As it turned out by the time I worked in my travel plans, I would have to leave 5 days early to ensure on-time arrival, not because of the distance, but because of the awful schedule and out of the way travel. To get from Boston to OKC, I'd have to take the Late Shore Limited (note spelling) to Chicago where I'd have to wait 6 hours if I arrived on-time, and this train has an 80% late arrival! I'd then catch the Texas Eagle to Fort Worth, TX, wait 4 hours, then take the Heartland Flyer 4 hours north to OKC. This train would arrive at 4:00 am or something like that and then I'd have to hire a cab to get to the hotel! It was faster to fly and I was guaranteed to arrive in OKC on schedule.

John

I'm not saying it's only when the Republicans control the House & Senate funding goes down. It almost always goes down every year regardless. But in general it is the Republicans that push harder for funding to be more drastically reduced or even eliminated.

And just because the Democrats may have a majority in the House or the Senate doesn't mean that the Republicans can't have anything they want. Regardless of who controls them both parties tend to get some things they want thru.

peter

@PerRock:

It is not a question of whose fault it is, if you read the conclusion of my first post, it is a question of whether it is worth investing major publicity dollars in a National Train Day for Amtrak if the new customers will be one time customers. I guess the answer is: even if they break even, it is worth it.

If you want to see with your own eyes if trains are ontime, on to Amtrak's website and click on track a train. The Empire builder will be late but if it is in 10-20 late it is ok.

I find it quite sick that America refues to build up its own surface transport (mainly rail). Who cares what other countries are doing, in America we have a rail system that is even slower then the first railroads who owned them. That needs to change, I hope the new surface transport bill is passed. Why? As we can evenly distrbute the budget amoung all surface tranport and not just highways and cars.

Last edited:
You mean it is ok if it is 20 minutes late???
Look at the distances the California Zephyr has the travel, over 2400 miles. Your telling me nothing can happen over a trip that long. Also you must factor in that Amtrak doesn't own any track. So if a train is 20 mins late and it is coming from Chicago and your in Reno, I call that ontime. It could be better but nothing is perfect.

Look at the distances the California Zephyr has the travel, over 2400 miles. Your telling me nothing can happen over a trip that long. Also you must factor in that Amtrak doesn't own any track. So if a train is 20 mins late and it is coming from Chicago and your in Reno, I call that ontime. It could be better but nothing is perfect.

I didn't say nothing could happen in 2400 miles, in fact you hadn't exposed "the trip" is one of 2400 miles; yet the above long distance rationale for being late for arrival is a poor one. If I have to drive only 5 blocks, but leave 3 minutes late, I could never hope to recover from that loss, and would unavoidably arrive late. If however, I am making a 3 day journey, there is much more time available to make up for any lost time, especially where there is open country like on the Zephyr. It is short trips that are susceptible to lateness, not long ones, unless they're outright poorly scheduled.

Let's hope non-ownership of track is factored into the schedule, as well as the track condition, or else Amtrak would really be misleading its riders.

Last edited:
Back