My First Rant... Lack of descriptions on Routes/Sessons AGAIN. Maintain a TRS19 list?

1611mac

- - . -
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam... I can't keep silent any longer.

I've only been using Trainz since last October. I've not had a good rant yet. But if anything is worth a rant it's when I try to find routes of interest to download from CM and the contributor didn't even bother to provide the most basic information in the description. Heck, what am I saying. A good number don't even have a description.

C'mon people. This is crazy.

If I were running the CM contributors would at least have to give version of Trainz a route was done in, size of route (baseboards), and some basics such as "scenic," "shunting," etc. And sessions??? Ha! A session that says "A session for my route" and no route name is even given. Really????

Isn't it possible for someone to "reject" submissions without any description???????

Please.....................

Is there any way we can start and maintain a TRS19 Route/Session list (along with T:ANE routes that work well in TRS19)?????

Rant over....

the contributor didn't even bother to provide the most basic information in the description. Heck, what am I saying. A good number don't even have a description.
Isn't it possible for someone to "reject" submissions without any description???????
I agree, a description would help alot

Ahh, to dream ☺

I am certain that many of us have felt the same way at various times. But alas no. One of the great strengths of the Trainz community is that we accept submissions from all - no entry test, no minimum levels of ability or competence required. That is how we all (if you ignore the dieties amongst us who can create masterpieces without raising a sweat) learned our trade.

So patience Grasshopper. Look to the Freeware Announcements Forum for your guidance and do not be led astray by those who lack understanding and/or common courtesy. I always avoid those routes and sessions that have no worthwhile descriptions, thumbnails and a Freeware announcement with follow-up support and, as a result, my life is so much more relaxed.

I agree. No description and no properly composed thumbnail that shows what the download is I simply don't bother with it. If the original creator didn't think enough of their asset to describe it properly and to provide a good picture then plainly they didn't care much about it to start with and it's likely to be rubbish.

Quite allot of the DLS has one same generic preview image, that in no way resembles the asset ... and the description has one same generic phrase that never describes what the asset really is

Not so ...A lot of the DLS assets have absolutely no preview image, nor any description ... And some are absolute works of art, magnificent wonders of the world

The only problem is how would you know without having to download it to look at it and then (as is usual) delete it because it was no darn good. I agree there are some 'absolute works of art' hidden away, but finding them is the difficult bit.

And don't get me started on the ipad garbage on the DLS........

Last edited:
Not so ...A lot of the DLS assets have absolutely no preview image, nor any description ... And some are absolute works of art, magnificent wonders of the world

I agree with this, but I have to say the vast VAST majority of the routes on the DLS are rubbish (garbage). I never download any routes from the DLS. In fact, I never download ANY routes from anywhere, as I prefer to play with my own creations, but if I did, I'd look to the forums for guidance (and screenshots) on which routes to check out.

We are not machines

The problem is that people have this thing called 'free will'. This means they do what they want to do, not what they are told to do and no amount of persuasion, education, prayers will change this. You can make the description field mandatory, but then some people may enter 'blah blah' or they can even write an elaborate story on how magnificent this route is and you still may not like it. I don't download any routes from DLS, I don't download any routes from anywhere, I only play with my own routes and I still don't like them. But at least I am happy I have a choice.

Last edited:
I will echo obirek's comment and add that having a thumbnail is no guarantee of quality either. There are many assets on the DLS that have a thumbnail image that shows just the contradictory message "This is not a thumbnail". Do you want to waste the bandwidth charges by downloading them to check them out?

The DLS needs serious work, a lot of things need to be improved.

A statement that has often appeared in these forums. The problem is agreeing on the finer details of the "serious work". Who is going to do it? What will be their criteria? Will only certain approved creators be allowed to upload (if so how do new creators get started)? Will it require all uploads to be vetted before appearing on the DLS (I can already hear the howls of protest over the delays that that will cause)? Etc, etc.

No matter what decisions are made about "quality", there will always be demands for exceptions. What I consider to be "rubbish" others may consider to be "gems".

I do recall N3V admitting some time ago that they inadvertently let the "genie out of the bottle" with iPhone, Android and iPad uploads (but I concede that the "recall" may just be my imagination), in any case that horse has bolted.

>Isn't it possible for someone to "reject" submissions without any description???????

Sounds like censorship to me.

Cheerio John

When you buy something online you have a field where you are asked to enter your credit card number. If you do not follow directions and don't enter your card info you get an error. Are you being censored? No. You are free to use your card but it is up to you to enter the correct information. There is some obligation with your freedom to use your card. This is not censorship. It is common sense.

And I guess I'm being censored every time I am forced to enter my username and password to get on the forums?

Last edited:
Ahh, to dream ☺
-snip-
So patience Grasshopper.

Taken from Wikipedia:
Master Po: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Young Caine: I hear the water, I hear the birds.
Po: Do you hear your own heartbeat?
Caine: No.
Po: Do you hear the grasshopper which is at your feet?
Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?[SUP][9]
[/SUP]

-snip- I don't download any routes from DLS, I don't download any routes from anywhere, I only play with my own routes and I still don't like them. But at least I am happy I have a choice.

Yes, I know that's true of a lot of people but I've learned a lot from examining other routes. I do run other routes but even outside of that one of the first things I do is to look at assets and how they are used.

I've downloaded almost all of MSGSapper's routes. They all work great in TANE, provide useful hints on what assets to use in route building, and they serve as a fine backdrop for vintage diesels and branch line steam locos. They are about the right size and complexity for a nice driving experience.

I agree with this, but I have to say the vast VAST majority of the routes on the DLS are rubbish (garbage). I never download any routes from the DLS. In fact, I never download ANY routes from anywhere, as I prefer to play with my own creations, but if I did, I'd look to the forums for guidance (and screenshots) on which routes to check out.

Very sound advice, IMO - the routes that make this grade are usually those that have undergone some close scrutiny from those who know what they are about

Loads of assets, not just routes, suffer from missing or improper thunbnails. Say you are looking for a set of "road narrows" and "road widens" signs. Every search turns up stuff like "roadsign 1, roadsign 2, roadsign 3," etc, yet the picture accompanying each of the 45 signs is a cluster of 45 signs. You either have to download ALL of them to see if TWO of them are what you're looking for, or continue your search looking for a creator who cares enough to include a RELEVANT thumbnail for each piece of content.

Bill

Back