Trainz, Youtube and COPPA

pagroove

I'il leave this video here. This may affect the future of Trainz youtubers as trains are considered child friendly:

Please watch the video and discuss. Do you think Trainz Youtube movies have a future on the platform?

And youtube also plans to shut down commercially non-viable channels per December 10th.

This is my biggest concern, but the commercially non-viable is the least of the problems. Its my train videos, Trainz videos, and another train game, and while I marked my entire channel + videos as not for kids, I really would like some deep info regarding this, as the fines are pretty steep:eek:

I'm going to be keeping my eyes on this one, as it might actually answer some of my questions I have that are invisible

Cheers

Slowly all fun things in life get killed by big corporations and rules. Stupid rules. Sorry for being a bit emotional. But some people just don't get that people want to do something for fun and everything has to be monotized. This Coppa Thing is actually caused by ads. I have ads off on my channel. But it doesn't matter because we still have to comply with these stupid rules. The fines are ridiculous.

What does COPPA have anything to do in relationship to the Trainz Forum ?

Last edited:
Honestly I don't think that youtube will through with this in its current form. The amount of chaos this would and already has caused would destroy the platform. This is exactly the sort of thing that similar yet smaller platforms have been waiting for. If this goes through in its current form there will be a mass exodus from the platform and the site will die. It makes no sense. On the plus side there are rumors that a higher up in the FTC (I can't remember who) will meet with some content creators regarding this issue and we can only hope that they will be able to open their eyes.
Here's another great video explaining the situation.watch

I imagine that it is all because several gazillion people have uploaded their nonsensical videos: "Here's a 6 min video of my ugly baby eating a cheerio off of their sticky spitty finger", or "Here's my last video just before I fell off of the Grande Canyon while taking a selfie", now YouTube is now chock full of bazillions of nonsensical videos, just like Photobucket was inundated.

Last edited:
Parents should be responsible for what their kids watch.

Good example of bad parenting: My late sister let her 5 year-old watch whatever he wanted on YouTube. It was "too hard" to setup parental guards or to direct him to YouTube Kids. In other words, she was too busy doing her own thing and didn't care. When I asked her about it, her answer was "Whatever".

If it has to do with advertiser content, then Google should be responsible for what runs on all channels and police its advertisers, but wait it's all about money when it comes to Google.

I imagine that it is all because several gazillion people have uploaded their nonsensical videos: "Here's a 6 min video of my ugly baby eating a cheerio off of their sticky spitty finger", or "Here's my last video just before I fell off of the Grande Canyon while taking a selfie", now YouTube is now chock full of bazillions of nonsensical videos, just like Photobucket was totally inundated. Someday Facebook will be purged.

This has nothing to do with if a video is suitable for children or not. Watch te videos.

This has everything to do with Youtube running ads under videos for children and secretly collecting data via these ads. As it is forbidden to collet privacy data from children under the age of 13 they where sued and fined for that. However youtube made a deal with the FCT. And now the content platform is no longer liable but the content creator itself.

Parents should be responsible for what their kids watch.

Good example of bad parenting: My late sister let her 5 year-old watch whatever he wanted on YouTube. It was "too hard" to setup parental guards or to direct him to YouTube Kids. In other words, she was too busy doing her own thing and didn't care. When I asked her about it, her answer was "Whatever".

If it has to do with advertiser content, then Google should be responsible for what runs on all channels and police its advertisers, but wait it's all about money when it comes to Google.

Agree 100 %

Honestly I don't think that youtube will through with this in its current form. The amount of chaos this would and already has caused would destroy the platform. This is exactly the sort of thing that similar yet smaller platforms have been waiting for. If this goes through in its current form there will be a mass exodus from the platform and the site will die. It makes no sense. On the plus side there are rumors that a higher up in the FTC (I can't remember who) will meet with some content creators regarding this issue and we can only hope that they will be able to open their eyes.
Here's another great video explaining the situation.watch

Thanks for the insight an link.

Another regulation that has so-called good intent but fails to define key aspects and has little restraint on power of the regulation.

regulations upon regulations. I see this going through many legal battles sooner than later.

This has nothing to do with if a video is suitable for children or not. Watch te videos.

Do not bother listening to him. The waffle king will probably be banned again soon enough.

This isn't going to affect anyone, the whole COPPA rule is on YT so if a video is marked as made for kids, you can't collect user data, and the fine is there for those who try doing so on a video labeled as Made for Kids

This isn't going to affect anyone, the whole COPPA rule is on YT so if a video is marked as made for kids, you can't collect user data, and the fine is there for those who try doing so on a video labeled as Made for Kids

But the issue lays in the fact that there aren't really any rules or specific guide lines that make something kid friendly. I mean sure you have the extremes like swearing or nudity but for other things like train videos the line can be blurry, train videos aren't necessarily for kids but they aren't inappropriate for children to watch. What one person thinks is kid friendly some one else might think other wise and that's were things really get tough. Its not the content creator who dictates what is and isn't kid friendly, its YouTube and the FTC. Say for instance I make a video on youtube with a mild swear word like crap or damn, those words aren't very severe and most children have heard a thousand times, with this reasoning I label the video child friendly. Now say the bot or who ever is in-charge of enforcing this new regulation comes along, hears the word damn, and deems the video inappropriate for children then dishes me a heathy $40k fine. Neither of us are inherently wrong but I still have to pay $40k. The regulation in its current form just isn't fair and very much affects all who use Youtube, my friend Hiawatha is a good example, he's considering leaving Youtube because of this, the guide lines are too vague and risking it could cost you $40k. This isn't only going to affect a few people who intentionally mislabel their videos, its going to affect everyone who uses the platform.

P.S. Sorry for writing a novel, but this can't just be played off like its not a major issue, hundreds of thousands of people who make videos are in serious trouble if this goes through and not everyone can pay $40k in fine over a misunderstanding.-MK

So, "something" happens on youtube and I get a 40k fine. Mate, good luck getting 40k out of me and if they wanted to extradite me to the USA it would cost them more than 40k to get me there (wouldn't mind a free trip to the USA though)
Fine me 40k, I'll tell em they're dreamin'.

So, "something" happens on youtube and I get a 40k fine. Mate, good luck getting 40k out of me and if they wanted to extradite me to the USA it would cost them more than 40k to get me there (wouldn't mind a free trip to the USA though)
Fine me 40k, I'll tell em they're dreamin'.

Well, since you don't live in the States (according to your location), they'll more likely just terminate your entire YT account (and if really serious, your entire Google account). Now if you lived in the States, then it'll be different.

========

Anyway, found an update about this mess. Hopefully it'll help some of you out:

Cheers

If you make money from uploading Youtube videos (though the ads), you should be responsible for the proper designations of that video. You are basically a billboard owner renting out space to the ad makers. Therefore, if you cannot properly mark your videos in the appropriate manner, then you should be responsible for the ads not being placed in the right neighborhood. That is why Youtube was found partially responsible for the violations. Big fish/little fish thing I suppose.

Anyways, I wonder how much money this guy is generating from people watching that video, over and over again. Personally, I couldn't make it all the way through one time.

Last edited:
If you make money from uploading Youtube videos (though the ads), you should be responsible for the proper designations of that video. You are basically a billboard owner renting out space to the ad makers. Therefore, if you cannot properly mark your videos in the appropriate manner, then you should be responsible for the ads not being placed in the right neighborhood. That is why Youtube was found partially responsible for the violations. Big fish/little fish thing I suppose.

Anyways, I wonder how much money this guy is generating from people watching that video, over and over again. Personally, I couldn't make it all the way through one time.
While this is true the issue is that what you deem child friendly the bot or algorithm might not. Bots can't think they just do what they are told and are often wrong. Take the monetization bot, this bot is known for falsely demonetizing videos, this bot has been revised and fixed many times but it still falsely demonetizes people. Most likely the bot that youtube will use to enforce this new regulation will have the same issue of false flagging, and instead of costing you a couple hundred bucks it can destroy your life, $40k is a lot of money and not many people can just shell out that much, and this can happen multiple times on every "mislabeled" video you've made. Peoples livelihoods are at stake and for many Youtube is a major or their only source of income so they can't just up and leave.

Back