ugly trains

c6498d0488b900feeed89ed3501ccfc0.jpg

What's so bad about Canadian Pacific locomotives?

Anyway, how's about this: the BR Class 89.
7107307807_fd04b7fb05_z.jpg

2845778035_d67db9f7b2_z.jpg

This one seems to divide opinion. RAIL Magazine praised it as one of the most beautiful locomotives ever to run on British metals when it was first unveiled. Many enthusiasts seemed to disagree, bestowing on it nicknames like 'The Badger' and worse, 'The Aardvark'...
I personally think it's alright, a bit ungainly perhaps but I like it. I don't think the later InterCity Swallow does it any favours though.

Is it's because Canadian Pacific tried to buy Norfolk Southern the reason why I see so many photos of CP engines? If that is not the joke then I don't get it. Plus PDkoster can you please explain why you hate the engines that you post please.

Last edited:
Remember folks...beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do think 611 is a beautiful locomotive though.
The same can't be said for the following:
Class_458_railway_DC_Unit_-_South_West_Trains_livery_-_Virginia_Water_station_-_England_-_280404.jpg

Class 458/0.
Unit_460008_at_East_Croydon.JPG

Class 460 (Thankfully now withdrawn)
332002_at_Paddington_ABU.jpg

BR Class 332.
I'm not entirely sure what it is that puts me off these three classes...they just look 'wrong' if you know what I mean. I think the light arrangement on the 358 makes it look like it has a permanent, psychotic Joker-like smile and the 332 looks like the sort of train the aliens in Independence Day would use.

Last edited:
Those are some amazing shots, a Land Jet vs a Propeller Head, what they won't do for extra Speed sometimes.

Reminds of someone who put Jet Pack assists on his car to see how fast he would go, ended up buried in the side of hill on Salty Flats, his body was unrecognizable........Packs where made for Planes not Cars, I wonder what these inventors would have said if we could talk to them today?

Pretty Cool stuff here.

I typically don't post in this topic but I found this photo of this train (While looking for Drawings for Rolling Stock) that I just had to post here.

273418f92a4d1a1a4ed566affac2b794.jpg

Back