Unified Driver Surveyor Feedback (pre-beta)

Tony_Hilliam

Trainz Plus - enjoy Trainz from just 20 cents a da
We've released a sneak peek video of the upcoming feature that allows you to instantly switch from Driver to Surveyor. There's also a short blog entry here.

We've taken a fairly extreme approach to editing in the short video, and we really can't wait to hear your feedback on more practical uses you come up with.

There are still a few more tasks to tidy up before we get the first build out to our Gold Class members for testing in the coming weeks.

Feel free to ask questions and give your feedback here on what you've seen so far.

Hi Tony --

OK, a real life example. I've constructed a layout. I go into Driver with a locomotive and a couple of freight cars. I'm driving along and find that the clearance at a particular structure is a bit too tight.

I pop into Surveyor and move the structure back slightly. I go back into Driver.

Is the change that I made in Surveyor saved? And do I also have the option of not saving the change?

Phil

Is the change that I made in Surveyor saved?
>>
Yes and no. The changes done in edit mode are there in Driver when you switch back, but not actually "saved" until you decide to save it. So when exiting, if you then Save or Save as, your changes will be saved.

And do I also have the option of not saving the change?
>>
Yes, just exit and "Do not save" just like you can now out of Surveyor.

Hi Tony

1. Will the game have any extra lag due to the switch between route/surveyor? I expect the more assets we accumulate and the larger the route lag times may be an issue.
2. In the video I had a hard time telling which mode it was in had to follow the "arrow" to see what was going on. Is there a way to make it more obvious - ie: coloured highlight border for example.
3. Overall I love the new concept.

Been a feature of DTG's Railworks (TS20xx) for years, so about time it came to Trainz.

Very useful feature in Railworks, so i hope it works as seamlessly in TRS19.

Gets a thumbs up from me, if it does.

Mike.

1. Will the game have any extra lag due to the switch between route/surveyor?

No; the actual time to switch is under a second in normal conditions and there is no effect on frame rates beyond that.

2. In the video I had a hard time telling which mode it was in

We're still working out the fine details, but it's hopefully already pretty obvious from the UI - driving controls being present means Driver, whereas if you have editing tabs then you're in Surveyor.

chris

This really looks fantastic and would be great for making routes and sessions. I guess I will have to really think harder about getting TS19 now. LOL

I have been waiting for this feature for as long as I have been working with Trainz. Looking forward to this!! However, take your time guys! Don't rush it and make sure it works seamlessly. Thus far TRS19 has been a pleasure to work with!!!
;)

Just watched the video. My question is this: while back in surveyor mode, is the time in driver mode suspended (paused)? Or in the case of the video, you have to "race" against the time to place the additional track.

Last edited:
Excellent work. I see a lot of creation will now be done on the fly as we drive along. For some reason the same glitch looks obvious when driving and invisible in Surveyor.

... Or in the case of the video, you have to "race" against the time to place the additional track.
If time is not paused, it would probably be good practice to stop a consist so it doesn't run out of track. Unless a moving train is required to check some clearances.

Yes, a good idea to stop the train, but what about other consists? I guess what I am saying is "suspend" the simulation while going back into surveyor mode.

interesting and great idea, probably a feature that people have wanted for along time. when might this be available to gold members?

Another wrong sentence, he is a pain Tony. He is taking my name. He will not stop. Please help me. Get rid of him.

Last edited:
This is something I too have been asking for for a very long time - probably since I first started using Trainz TRS2004 in 2013!

As a route builder, this is most useful for many of the reasons mentioned. There are places that require constant checking, but are now done, but exiting Surveyor, loading, loading, waiting, loading, entering Driver to test, but find things still aren't up to par so the cycle starts again. With this instant switch, we can work more efficiently.

This is also a good way to check performance of a route. What loads up great in Surveyor, doesn't always translate to Driver when factoring other things such as consists, rules, and scripts that interact with the environment.

Tony,

This looks like a brilliant feature and major step forward.

A quote from your blog
"We're also very excited about opening up the powerful editing tools to those who haven't ventured far out of the Driver mode (yet)"

Which made me wonder how many gold members are serious route bulders, or are they mostly drivers?
Don't you need seasoned builders/testers who are not Gold members (like clam1952) to test this major step forward for you?
I am sure that TRS19 would benefit from their inclusion and that testing would be both quicker and thorough.

Back