Model Railroadz

Well said ModelerMJ. I was also wondering how Phil creates his routes. Amazing to see it come to life step by step.
Thanks Phil for sharing your process.
Bob

scratchy --

Love that shot. A question. That wonderful cracked baked earth texture under the bridge. What is it's name and is it built-in or on the Download Station?

as always happens phil you will get there in the end, just keep slogging on

Great work

Do have the switching dock railway for you to play with, track down and graded, just needs the phil touch to finish it. send me a PM where to send it.

Tom

Tom

Hi Tom --

Thanks. But no. There is just far too much to do in my life at the moment.
_____

I decided what to do at Laramee. The original intention was just a basic but large yard plus loco depot to allow big power to haul big (well, in the model Trainz context) consists around the layout.

But having go thus far it seemed better to give the whole layout some operational potential. So on the layout there are two mines, a log camp, a dry sort yard and a stock yard. At Laramee there is now a MoW yard, workshop, saw mill, minerals tippler, stock holding yard, a steamship wharf and a railroad barge ferry.

Saw mill bottom left, workshop middle left, barge ferry and MoW top right:

MannPhromLaramee_Prelim8.jpg

Foreground, left to right, minerals tippler, steamship wharf, stock holding:

MannPhromLaramee_Prelim9.jpg

And also the texturing undercoat, RRM Gravel 03 (middle setting) under water, HP-Sand series 04 (maximum setting) for the ground:

MannPhromLaramee_Prelim10.jpg

MannPhromLaramee_Prelim11.jpg

The ground undercoat looks uniform and repetitive because I no longer use texture rotation. I'll add several more un-rotated texture to give the final effects.

It's turning out reasonably well. A lot better than I originally anticipated.

Phil

Last edited:
Phil, can I make a quick suggestion? Can you move the railroad barge ferry over to where the mineral tipper is? I can see it being used as a connection to another railroad represented by a staging yard. There are several in use here in America, the most notable is the Alaska Railroad, who are connected to the rest of North America's railroads via ferries running from Whittier, Alaska and both Prince Rupert, British Columbia (with the Canadian National), and Seattle, Washington (with Union Pacific, BNSF, and others). However, you'll need a locomotive in the staging yard to remove and/or load cars onto the ferry. Or you can do like the shortline Bay Coast Railroad, which transports both the locomotive and the rest of the train across the Chesapeake Bay from Norfolk, Virginia (where they interchange with CSX and Norfolk Southern), to Cape Charles, Virginia, on the other side of the Bay. There is also a track plan featured in one of Model Railroader's numerous track plan books that was based on a Canadian Pacific ferry, in I believe is/was in British Columbia, for access to an isolated lumber mill on the other side of a lake from the rest of the North American railroad network. Both the locomotive and cars are/were transported on the ferry across the lake.

Last edited:
I think its something along the lines of "cracked earth" or cracked soil and its by Joe (socalwb909), it should be on the DLS :) Your route looks really good, personally id muddy the water slightly for the industrial area

Hi philskene and scratchy
The cracked earth shows as built in and it is called "soil cracked" and is by socalwb909 as scratchy points out. Scratchy your stuff on JR is awesome.
I love watching your route come together philskene, thanks for sharing.
Bob

Joe --

That's a great texture. I'm glad that I've discovered it.

Jordon --

The barge ferry. I actually first put it at the location you suggested. But space is very tight there and I suspect more players will use the ferry and not the tippler. The ferry will, of course, perform the same function no matter where it's located. It might just have to sail slightly further.
_____

I've made more progress. Added overlay textures -- HP-Sand 07, 05 and 02 (the last for the highlights). HP-Gras22 and murva 17 (the last to add some greenery where the trees are spotted). And of course the Soil Cracked 1.

I need to go down to the model shop tomorrow and buy a couple of hundred cactus. Then plant them. Add the walls too. After that it's a matter of further changes and making sure there are sufficient clearances for locomotives and freight cars. And then ... .

The latest images:

MannPhromLaramee_Prelim12.jpg

MannPhromLaramee_Prelim13.jpg

Looking back through this thread I see that I first started this layout and posted some screen shotz on 12 September. That's Tuesday of last week. It's now Sunday. I've only been able to work on it part time. So I've made reasonable progress. It should be up on the Download Station this week.

Phil

I've still got the paper work to do (description, map, screen shotz, ... ).

It's been said that routes and layouts are never finished. It's just that the creator eventually gives up. I could probably spend weeks on changes and final adjustments but at some stage I'll have to call it "done".

I'm done and here it be (full screen / 1080p):

Once I've packaged it up I'll make an announcement in the Freeware Forum, soon.

thanks 2 forum

i learned a lot from this forum...
after playing and merging with routes of other people (mainly philskene), reading many technical advises (e.g. shaneturner, jcitron, mikeaus e.o.) and downing a lot of nice beauties (with favourites as jointed rail, k&l trainz, davesnow, jankvis and much, much more), i started to make my own route(s)...

i had to change rooms: the little space with modelrailroad to a larger level in my maisonette ...
so i record the track (roco) like it was: sharpest turns, multilevel, nonscenery (just the "boystuff") ... i measured the real dimension/size and brought it to surveyor in TANE .. just 2 levels ..
i don't dig holes (!), so i lowered the floor, like my teacher(s) did ... and so on ...

Back