Locomotives and Rolling stock blacked out

Trainz1212

I have an issue where all the locomotives and rolling stock I downloaded from jointed rail are all kind of blacked out with a bit of random color spots. Some of them are like they are in a wireframe. I have downloaded all of the same content before onto another computer about a year and a half ago. It all has worked fine on there. Now I just got a brand new Dell with an Intel core I7 processer, 16 GB of ram, and a NVidia GeForce 750m graphics card. I re-downloaded all the content onto my new computer and have now seen the issue. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled trainz but it is not affected. I currently have Trainz 2010 which I am pretty sure is compatible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

upgrade video hardware drivers and reinstall the content. (you can try just one item and see if it works)
if that fails turn off hardware texture compression in the settings panel of Content Manager and reinstall the content.

Compresses the textures using the hardware, if it's off it's done by software and committing takes a fraction longer. Doesn't affect the actual game it's used during the commit / install process by content manager.

Wow. Just hitting one button fixes it all! what does that hardware texture compression do anyways?

When you get a .cdp file you get an archive like a zip filled with the configuration, meshes, and textures etc for a Trainz asset. When you apply this to CM the files are extracted and the textures, usually in a .tga .bmp or other format, are copied and converted and compressed into .texture files for the sim to use internally. Some video hardware drivers will produce a compression incompatible with Trainz for whatever reason.
Hardware compression has the advantage of being faster but may produce an incompatible result.
Turning that off results in the software handling the compression, which produces a compatible result but can be very much slower for some systems.

I have been using Alienware laptops for several years with Trainz and I have seen this problem myself a couple of times. The answer is always one of the above methods or changing the video driver or just going with software compression.

Back