trainz crashing... ALOT

So, I just got a new computer. And thus I had to install Trainz 2009 again, on the new computer. This computer has Vista, which might be the problem.

So here is what is going on.... First I was fine in surveyor mode. I would hardly have a problem with crashing. But I was having issues when in driver mode. Every so often, the game would go all white, and then a few seconds later crash to desktop. This was annoying, but I could still build, so I did not worry about it to much. Now, however, when in surveyor mode the program crashes almost every time I try to do something. Mostly when adding/removing/modifying track. I thought maybe it was my video card, so I updated my drivers. Still have the problem.

I have played the following games with no hint of a problem: Battlefield2, Simcity4, and DarkSpace.

So wtf is going on here? The game runs GREAT on my new laptop, when it runs....

I'll go out on a limb and state that the PC is able to run Trainz if it is able to run Vista!

Processer: Intel Core 2 Due CPU, P7450 @ 2.13GHz
Bus Speed: 1066MHz
L2 Cache: 3MB
Ram: 4GP PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM
Video: Nvidia GeForce 9800m GS, 512MB DDR3

Bestbuy link to product: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9173262&type=product&id=1218044029168

I should have no problem running this game what so ever. Like I have said in other posts... The game runs great, when it runs.

It is a shame I am having these problems. I love Trainz 2009 WBE and look forward to the release of the engineers version. Auran has made a damn good product. It just sucks that I am having such a bad experience with it.

Last edited:
It is a shame, but I admire you for taking some of the heat. Have you done a Dx Diag, and if so; is there any indication of a conflict or driver issue?

Hi crohakon,
I suggest you run a good RAM scanner, Trainz really makes your computer work hard.
In the past I have had the same problem on a old computer, games every thing else works fine but Trainz/TRS2004 would crash the computer. Replace the slightly faulty RAM stick and problem solved.

Hope this helps,
Lindsay

No conflicts found.
I have tried using both renders.
And unable to find any issues with ram.

My guess is it has something to do with Vista x64

Edited my route and played on it for about an hour today with no crash... not sure what happened. Seems to be working fine now. I had not even rebooted my laptop.

Hmmm, could it be temperature related?

Or graphics related. I've not seen this issue, but I had a bad one where random artifacts would be displaying on the screen, while testing to see if a laptop repair company's repair actually worked. Netherless to say that it didn't, so its gone back for another round on their workbench.

It maybe a VRAM failure or a GPU failure. Both in a new product, highly unlikely, but nVidia GPUs do have known failures, I've got 4 laptops that are at high risk of failing, due to this problem and one already has (Asus Z92T, GFG7600 card), the other maybe on the brink of failing (Acer Aspire 9810, GFG7600 card) as I see strange abnormalities from time to time, one which has a years warranty, soon to extend it, because it could be at a huge risk of the nVidia failure (Acer Aspire 9920G) and one that has a possiblity, depending if the card was shipped before the laptop was made, because the shipment date when nVidia changed some materials was a day before my laptop was manufactured. (Acer Aspire 8920G - has a 3 year warranty.)

I wouldn't speculate a problem with the graphics card, until you stress test it and be accertain that the GFX chip is on its way out and annoyingly, soon after you recieved it.
While you are at it and assuming you are on about the laptop, get an extended warranty, especailly with nV chips!

I'm running '09 on Vista, 64 bit setup, and I've had a few random problems similar to what you're describing. I'm not sure, but I think I can attribute my problems to faulty assets that I loaded into '09. The problems were too random to really diagnose for sure, but it seemed to happen after I DLed something that had weird results in Surveyor and/or Driver. I deleted whatever assets I thought might be the cause, and '09 seemed to go back to working fine. Something to keep in the back of your mind.

I ran a stress test on the GPU and had no problems at all.

One thing I did notice is that after the last crash, items I had added before my last save disappeared. Could it be an issue with assets I am using? I have downloaded almost 1gb of content.... and I have noticed that the CM keeps popping up windows about errors after some downloads. And two the of the routes I downloaded I cannot play on as it says there are errors...

also note, the temp in the room is kept at 65f... and according to the on board sensors I have had no over heating problems... they might not be working though, who knows. I will keep posting here as I deal with this issue.

Auran claims that faulty content bears the responsibility for most of the problems with Trainz. Some content can end your use of the program. I advise you delete content flagged as faulty if you cannot fix it, and try again.

look at the route in CMP, r/click on it and view dependant assets/errors, some you will be able to ignore ( tag errors etc) others will need to be fixed.

Back