Why Windows 10 sucks

JonMyrlennBailey

YHOj9qX.jpg

What?

It's not Windows, it's you. Why do you not have the full toolbar at the top, where you can easily tell it how to display files and their icons? Find the little up/down arrow icon up at the top/right of your window, next to the blue "?" icon. Toggle that arrow boy.

HZIjDz1.jpg

Last edited:
You have to click on View tab first. Too much work. Too much time. In Windows 7 the view options only required a short move and a single click.

Control key + mouse scroll wheel.

/thread

That only makes the icons large or small. In Windows7, Details, thumbnail size, etc. was in easy reach. I like thumbnails because I'm a visual person. They had the layout of Windows 7 perfected. They can't leave well enough alone.

That only makes the icons large or small. In Windows7, Details, thumbnail size, etc. was in easy reach. I like thumbnails because I'm a visual person. They had the layout of Windows 7 perfected. They can't leave well enough alone.

Shocking, isn't it, that "they" don't make the world and everything in it to exactly match our individual predilections and preferences. When I'm dictator it'll all be different! Mind, these differences may suit you even less. Still, as long as I'm happy. After all, I am the centre of the universe, despite what the cat and you think. Oh yes I am!! :)

There is an alternative outlook, mind - one I have been forced to adopt until the ladywife arranges the revolution that will make me dictator: adapt one's expectations and behaviour to the often awkward ways of the world. After all, that's what the other 7.5 billion folk have to do.

Lataxe

When I'm the dictator Microsoft will totally rewrite Windows to work and look exactly like Apple OSX..... :) So you all better start learning OSX now! :)

by the way... I run a Mac keyboard on my Win machine and use AutoHotKey to mimic Mac key combo's. I'm on my way to ruling the world...

Last edited:
If I need a quick change of view, I use the context menu. Right-click and choose "View -->".

What bugs me the most is Windows keeps changing a folder view after you leave it and go somewhere. You come back and it's set to a different view. It NEVER remembers (although is is supposed to).

Bill

I don't think Windows 7 changed folder/file views as much when you returned to them. There should be a default view setting in Explorer the user can select globally. When you select large thumbnails for one thing it should be the same for everything on the computer. I should also be able to custom position the quick-view icon. Large thumbnails is the one I use most by far for hunting for stuff in Explorer. The search bar is handy too.

Never mind personal computers. When I'm dictator of the world, we'll have to use CRT video-terminals connected to my cloud mainframe. There will be a choice, however, between white on black, green on black, or pumpkin.

The editor will be line edit, and if anything needs to be bold, underline, blinking, or italic, you better learn the old escape-codes that begin with CTRL[7M to insert those lines.

There will be no local printers and if anyone wants a permanent record, they'll need to visit the computer operators at the door in person and fill out a request form for all output which will be delivered once the batch job has been processed successfully.

No local storage allowed and data storage will be kept to a few 2 megabytes and will be purged periodically after n-days. Data backups will be processed daily and stored offsite with full backups done weekly, monthly, quarterly, and year end. The oldest tapes, however, will be overwritten if no requests come in for that data.

Email will be Netmail or Pine, and will not all attachments.

Just think, this was computing a mere 30-40 years ago!

Well, back in my day (as the old dude begins his tale), we had to do our typing on an IBM 029 card puncher. Then we collated all the cards into the proper order for the programming language (usually COBOL, but FORTRAN and NELIAC were also used). Carry the loaded trays over to the card reader, set the computer up to input from the reader, press GO and let it do its thing. Meanwhile, the 6-foot-tall reel-to-reel tape machines spun and recorded the program for future use. After a while, the computer would spit out which tape to take off the machine and store away with your program.

Heaven help anyone who caused a flat of cards to fall to the floor. He'd spend eternity getting back into the proper order.

EDIT: By the way, I still have three of the IBM boxes of blank cards. They make great bookmarks, notepaper, and other stuff.

Bill

Last edited:
Valid complaint about the ever-changing folder view modes in Windows 10. Like pcas1982, I prefer the Details view, but it keeps reverting to thumbnails. Maybe there is a setting to stabilise it, but I never found it.

And, don't get me started on the outrageous update situation. I've quit trying to get updates newer than February 2021. The update process is broken and MS doesn't care. I'm still running version 1909 (July 2020) and cannot get past it. It always fails. I rarely connect to the Internet, except to use the DLS, so I really don't care. If N3V would produce a Linux version of Trainz, I'd be off MS for good.

Bill

Erm it's under folder options...... been there since Win 95.......

Set up the folder how you would like all of them to look in file explorer.
Click view so it shows large icons, small icons etc, on the right click options, which opens Folder Options.
Click view, under top item Folder views, click apply to all folders.

Has to be done from File Explorer as it needs an open folder to use as the template.

Job done

Back