Is the Boxed Edition of TRS2019 Available?

I think a way to solve the DRM problem is for N3V to make the box version where you can check the DRM box on or off. I think they have done this in the past with Trainz.
Alco_P-A

Meanwhile the same people shoot down the idea of a need for a DRM free version every time it's brought up

If we are both correct then it is a small number of users who are passionate enough to post messages opposed to DRM and a similar number who post in favour of DRM. I suspect that the vast majority of users simply do not care. What N3V will make of that I do not know.

I think a way to solve the DRM problem is for N3V to make the box version where you can check the DRM box on or off. I think they have done this in the past with Trainz.
Alco_P-A

Yes they did and I did have that version. I found it a pain to turn DRM on when I wanted to access the DLS because it immediately started verifying all my content. In the end I simply left DRM checked on.

Alco_P-A

Yes this was done for TANE, think the boxed leastwise the Deluxe boxed versions are all DRM free, I got DRM free as at the time having an extremely unreliable Internet connection, I wanted avoid issues with not being able to get on-line, since that was resolved I have never turned it off. Incidentally turning the DRM off disabled all your DLC so not really the way to go if you like collecting DLC.
We could have been lumbered with a far worse DRM than needing to connect every 30 days, like permanently online.
likewise for the record, I would prefer not to have DRM but as I have seen no adverse effects, have accepted it and moved on.

The update is we're very close (perhaps even closer than you might think ;) ). There have been a few technical setbacks that simply take time to work through bit by bit.

We'll keep you posted.

Now 10(!) days since my last post in this thread. Apologies for being a cynic (actually I am just keen, and disappointed with the continuing delays), but seems like "closer than you might think" is the new NV3 "soon" for 2019.

It is easy to be critical (or cynical) about delays without knowing the causes and issues involved. One thing that (I believe) that N3V has learned from the past is not to rush out products to meet a deadline or to placate demands of "we want it now". I would prefer a very late product that works reasonably well over an "on time" release that doesn't work well at all.

10 days ago, I thought we were moments away from release (in fact I nearly said "it should be ready later today").

However testing uncovered a problem with the "install from disk" option that we've been working on to allow people to install payware from a DVD rather than only from a digital download.

We sorted out that issue, then in further testing discovered a problem with updating that installed content with a newer version, so we then fixed that issue.

We then retested, and this time we had updated hundreds of the "DLS content that is listed as payware but should not be" assets, and that worked fine - except for when it was installed via the new process.

So, back to the drawing board. The fix for that is unfortunately quite long and involved, so we've reverted that content back to the "wrong status", and will address it in a future update.

If it was easy, and there were no problems, then it would be ready now. If we didn't try to improve things, it would be ready now. Instead, it's undergoing final testing yet again, and if it passes all the tests this time, it will be released "real soon". If new problems are uncovered in testing, then it will be delayed further.

While not shortening your wait, it does hopefully give some idea why things get delayed.

Re Gold update release timing - we'll see how we go for the release this week. We won't be releasing it if it isn't ready.

Thanks for your reply Tony. Apologies, but I've read it several times, and still don't get it. From where I sit I still don't understand why there is such a delay between the release of the hard copy versus the currently available download. (which has now been available for several months) . I don't recall this being an issue with past releases. Is it planned to include patches/fixes in the hard copy ?

Last edited:
From my reading of Tony's post is that they discovered a problem in the hard copy installer which the digital download installer obviously does not require. The subsequent problems they discovered may, or may not (it is unclear), have also been unique to the hard copy version. It may not be wise to compare the "lack of issues" in developing the hard copy version of earlier Trainz releases with the issues that have occurred with the current release.

I would assume/hope that the hard copy, when it is released, would be the latest version, fully patched, as at the time of release.

Well you asked, so here's a snapshot summary...

First up, we delayed printing DVDs to avoid having to reprint if the release version required an urgent update.

Next, we had our Christmas break. Even N3V staff get holidays ;)

Then we discovered issues with the installer permissions on certain drive configurations (which we fixed).

Then we were ready to print and decided that we could offer a better option than our "base install":

Choice 1: Offer a 12GB DVD version, and users download a further ~15GB of DLC to get their full compliment of content.
Choice 2: Provide an option to purchase the DLC content on DVD as well, to avoid downloading files bigger than the original version.

We went with choice 2. Getting that ready has taken much longer than anticipated.

Meanwhile we've been working on updates, service packs, bug fixes, mobile, planning, designing. There are a handful of us, and everything takes time.

Summary - if it could have been out earlier it would have been. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the update Tony, just a small question.

Will this also be DRM free or will it be DRMed?
TBH, it doesn't bother me ultra much, but just would like a heads up :D

Thanks again. For me "Choice 2" was the way to go, and I am happy to wait on that. At the the risk of spawning more "DRM vs no DRM" diatribes, I hope you might please reconsider the DRM thing.

Last edited:
Back