Download Station whinges

rhban

Download Station is one of the most important parts of TRS for those of us who love creating new routes. To some extent, it always was a bit of a mess because few people bothered to follow any kind of naming convention, but what I see currently is very difficult to use. One of the main problems is the lack of columns: previously, I was able to add extra columns, and the most important for me was the one that told me whether the item was a thing or a route. I no longer seem to be able to do this in either trs2019 or trs2022.
Most routes include, if not a number of cities, at least one large town, and to make this look realistic you need a very large number of buildings - I have found the European buildings prefixed AD extremely useful along with the City Block series created by Dave Snow, but type in "city" now and you find the number of items has multiplied immensely, especially with "City & Country USA", and, as far as I can see, a large number of these are routes and - much to my horror - unfinished routes. There is a block of items suffixed with "autosave"!
Is the no control at all over what is put into DSL? Finished routes are a different story, but I think it is a cheek for people to add their experiments here.
All the same, it would life easier if I could see at a glance which are genuine assets and which are someone's first attempt at creating part of a route.

In Content Manager you can add additional columns by right-clicking on the column bar and then choosing the column you want to add. Content Manager will put these added columns on the far right any they can be moved wherever you want along the bar and resized as well. I found that adding all the columns in is most helpful. Your content can then be sorted by clicking on the column header.

Hi Rhban
The DLS includes both 'PC/Mac' and 'Mobile' created routes (we do list the mobile routes, as quite often mobile users have wanted to take their route and continue working on it on a PC/Mac version to expand upon their ideas), and so you may need to add a few additional filters.

The first step, after choosing 'download station' in the 'Filter' drop down, is to click the grey triangle to the left of 'filter:', this will then show the actual filters list.

Then if you are looking specific asset type, such as buildings, you can click the '+' button on the right hand side of the list to add a new filter.

By default it should add the 'category' filter in this case, which is the filter we want. To set what category is shown, click the right hand drop down box and then select 'building'.

If you want to be more specific in your name searches, you can add further filters the same way.

As to the actual columns shown in Content Manager, you can add columns by clicking on any of the column headings and then go to 'insert column' and click on the column you wish to insert.

Regards

In Content Manager you can add additional columns by right-clicking on the column bar and then choosing the column you want to add. Content Manager will put these added columns on the far right any they can be moved wherever you want along the bar and resized as well. I found that adding all the columns in is most helpful. Your content can then be sorted by clicking on the column header.
I used to be able to do that with TANE, but I can click any button I like on my mouse and no new column heading appears

Hi Rhban
The DLS includes both 'PC/Mac' and 'Mobile' created routes (we do list the mobile routes, as quite often mobile users have wanted to take their route and continue working on it on a PC/Mac version to expand upon their ideas), and so you may need to add a few additional filters.

The first step, after choosing 'download station' in the 'Filter' drop down, is to click the grey triangle to the left of 'filter:', this will then show the actual filters list.

Then if you are looking specific asset type, such as buildings, you can click the '+' button on the right hand side of the list to add a new filter.

By default it should add the 'category' filter in this case, which is the filter we want. To set what category is shown, click the right hand drop down box and then select 'building'.

If you want to be more specific in your name searches, you can add further filters the same way.

As to the actual columns shown in Content Manager, you can add columns by clicking on any of the column headings and then go to 'insert column' and click on the column you wish to insert.

Regards
Thanks for that. I will look for grey triangles and + buttons.

I used to be able to do that with TANE, but I can click any button I like on my mouse and no new column heading appears

They may have off screen to the far right. Resize your columns, or even your Content Manager window and I'm sure they're there.

They may have off screen to the far right. Resize your columns, or even your Content Manager window and I'm sure they're there.
Got it now. I can only assume I wasn't clicking the right hand button properly.
All the same, I am still puzzled as to why people are allowed to add unfinished routes to the DLS.

Got it now. I can only assume I wasn't clicking the right hand button properly.
All the same, I am still puzzled as to why people are allowed to add unfinished routes to the DLS.

I'm glad you got the columns figured out.

It ceases to amaze me why that's allowed if the route is purported to be a finished route. This has been an issue since the early days, so it's nothing new. If the description says this route is an ongoing project, well that's something else.

Back