How to upload TrufFX assets to DLS

Christopher824

CDETrainz.com
How to upload TurfFX assets to DLS

So I have found that a TurfFX asset's need two assets to save. Here are the most basic lines in the config.txt files

The base geometry of the effect;

Code:
kind                               "turffx"
trainz-build                          4.9
category-class                   "FF"

How to use the effect;

Code:
kind                                   "effect-layer-preset"
trainz-build                          4.9
category-class                     "TURF"
effect-type                          "turffx"

The first one uploads to the DLS with no issues, the second one gets this error;

An Error Occured with <kuid2:647907:102005:1> turffx - CDE TurfFX Grass Long 01
- Unable to determine asset category type from either the category class, kind or KUID range.

Any one else have any ideas how to publish a TurfFX to the DLS correctly?

Last edited:
Here are some that can be downloaded. Maybe take a look at these and see what the difference is.

<kuid:806431:106647> TurFX - wlad5 grass - Seasonal
<kuid:806431:106580> TurFX - wlad3 grass - Seasonal

Try uploading via My Trainz instead of through Content Manager. The old tried and true method seems to work better unless there's something amiss.

As a test I just uploaded one of my TurfFX layers to the DLS with no errors or warnings reported by CM in the upload process. I will await the automated email report from N3V for a final judgement.

The config file, the only component in the asset apart from the thumbnail, is as below:-

Code:
kuid                                    <kuid:45176:100755>
trainz-build                            5.1
kind                                    "effect-layer-preset"
category-class                          "TURF"
username                                "Grass Long Dry TurfFX"
effect-type                             "turffx"

effect-properties
{
  turffx-asset                          <kuid2:661281:65035:4>
  turffx-density                        "4,3,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000"
  turffx-height-scale                   "0,3,1.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000"
  geometry-scale                        0.5
  blade-width                           0.1
  blade-width-noise                     0.4
  blade-height-noise                    0.5
  width-scale-near                      "1,1,1,0"
  width-scale-far                       "1,1,1,0"
  bending-scale                         0.2
  dispersal                             0.1
  bunching                              0.5
  expansion-constant                    0.3
  expansion-multiplier                  0.2
  number-of-seeds-multiplier            0.2
  avoid-water                           "1"
  altitude-range                        "-3000,3000"
  gradient-range                        "0,90"
}

kuid-table
{
  1                                     <kuid2:661281:65035:4>
}

thumbnails
{
  {
      image                             "thumbnail.jpg"
      width                             240
      height                            180
  }
}

EDIT: Got the report back

The addition of your content file kuid_45176_100755.cdp has failed due to the following reasons:

An Error Occured with <kuid:45176:100755> Grass Long Dry TurfFX
- Unable to determine asset category type from either the category class, kind or KUID range.
<kuid:45176:100755> : Asset <kuid:45176:100755> uses an invalid trainz-build number. Trainz-build numbers above 5.0 are not supported.

I had previously been able to successfully transfer this exact asset through email to another user via .cdp file.

I will report it as a possible bug.

Last edited:
Also tried uploading a Clutter Effect Layer with the same rejection error message.

N3V QA got back to me on the problem.

We are aware that the 5.1 assets currently uploaded to the DLS are being rejected.5.1 Assets will be fully supported at release

So, awaiting the full retail release of TRS22.

pware,

The issue is not the 5.1 build. If you take your asset and change the build to 5.0 or lower, then try to upload, you will get the same error without the 5.1 reference, which goes back to the type of asset, "TURF" not being accepted for any build. Mine was 4.9.

So the QA team only answered part of your request.

Here are some that can be downloaded. Maybe take a look at these and see what the difference is.

<kuid:806431:106647> TurFX - wlad5 grass - Seasonal
<kuid:806431:106580> TurFX - wlad3 grass - Seasonal

Try uploading via My Trainz instead of through Content Manager. The old tried and true method seems to work better unless there's something amiss.

These are only 1/2 of what you need, these are kind "turffx", category-class "FF", and upload fine. The ones in question are the other 1/2 of the effect, kind "effect-layer-preset", category-class "TURF"

pware,

The issue is not the 5.1 build. If you take your asset and change the build to 5.0 or lower, then try to upload, you will get the same error without the 5.1 reference, which goes back to the type of asset, "TURF" not being accepted for any build. Mine was 4.9.

So the QA team only answered part of your request.

Put in a bug report with a copy of the 4.9 build asset as a .cdp file.

Also tried uploading a Clutter Effect Layer with the same rejection error message.

What is the category-class of the Clutter Effect Layer? maybe if you have an asset with that category-class, send them a bug report of that also, maybe they will fix both at once? They seem related. Just a thougt. I have not jumped into the clutter yet, but it's coming soon.

Just tried uploading a Clutter Effect Layer with the same result. before uploading I changed the build number from 5.1 to 4.6 and CM had no problem submitting the change and the DLS reported no error at the time of upload.

The error report I received some time later read:-

An Error Occured with <kuid:45176:100756> Stones Track Clutter
<kuid:45176:100756> : Asset <kuid:45176:100756> uses an invalid trainz-build number. Trainz-build numbers above 5.0 are not supported.

This "above 5.0 are not supported" is interesting particularly in light of the fact that I changed it to 4.6, but perhaps some error check detected the alteration based on other criteria.

Can someone tell me where you FIND the DOWNLOADED turffix to use after you download one on CMP?

In classic surveyor it will be under the topology tool. Under advanced click ground and it will display it.

In Surveyor 2.0 its in the asset tool the preset filters. The icon that looks like a bush (all the way on the right)

That did not work. I just tried creating new TurfFX and new Clutter layers in one copy of Trainz+ and then transferring them to another copy of Trainz+.

In the second copy, after importing each layer as a .cdp file. I had to:-

1. Open the Edit Effect Layer Window (Edit Menu, Edit Effect Layers)
  2. Create a new effect layer (the + button)
  3. Select the correct type of layer (TurfFX, Clutter or Water)
  4. Enter the exact name of the layer as imported from the .cdp file

After which each layer then became available for painting using the ground brush tool.

That did not work. I just tried creating new TurfFX and new Clutter layers in one copy of Trainz+ and then transferring them to another copy of Trainz+.

In the second copy, after importing each layer as a .cdp file. I had to:-

1. Open the Edit Effect Layer Window (Edit Menu, Edit Effect Layers)
  2. Create a new effect layer (the + button)
  3. Select the correct type of layer (TurfFX, Clutter or Water)
  4. Enter the exact name of the layer as imported from the .cdp file

After which each layer then became available for painting using the ground brush tool.

I have had success moving the files via a .cdp without issue. I have also been able to get the setting through a TCCP / DLC Route project. I don't know how they get transferred in that process as the asset does not show as a dependency, but it works somehow, which makes me think its stored in the Route file somehow as a setting.

I'm still waiting to see if it gets transferred in a DLS Route. I have a route that will be available in about 24 hours on the DLS and will see if it transferred over correctly. If it works the answer may be that you simply set the route up and it saves it there? I'll post back with results.

That would still leave the question on how to put the effect on the DLS for others to use without having to download a route.

I'm still waiting to see if it gets transferred in a DLS Route. I have a route that will be available in about 24 hours on the DLS and will see if it transferred over correctly. If it works the answer may be that you simply set the route up and it saves it there? I'll post back with results.

I have achieved that by transferring a route (the route .cdp file) from one install of Trainz+ to another without also transferring its effect layer via a .cdp file. The grasses, stones, bushes in the effect layer appeared in the transferred route but the source effect layer was not accessible for editing or additional painting. So presumably there is no problem for route creators adding effect layer scenery (TurfFX and Clutter) without also having to add a new dependency (the effect layer itself) to the route.

That would still leave the question on how to put the effect on the DLS for others to use without having to download a route.

That has been a puzzling experience so far. My method in a post above seems to work but it should be far easier - perhaps it is still a WIP.

Last edited:
To clarify a few things, effect layers are saved as part of a route. They cannot be saved individually as an "Effect Layer" directly.

Effect layers are also not currently merged when merging routes. But, you can merge an existing route to a route that has existing effect layers. This will provide the existing route effect layers and wipe any effect layers from the merged route.

S20 introduces a whole new set of options to make things easy to move from one route to another.

You can save effect layers and transfer them via .cdp (and therefore via the DLS) as part of a "Scrapbook" asset. This isn't limited to effect layers.

There are a number of new "Prefabs" such as forests, and various pre-built track setups.

In the image below, each set of tracks was placed by selecting from the prefab list, settings the radius to an appropriate size, and clicking to paint. So now a 10 track yard ladder can be placed in a few seconds.

2022-05-17_120455.png

The first one uploads to the DLS with no issues, the second one gets this error;

An Error Occured with <kuid2:647907:102005:1> turffx - CDE TurfFX Grass Long 01

Any one else have any ideas how to publish a TurfFX to the DLS correctly?

Hi Christopher824,

I've added some missing DB data for the "effect-layer-preset" asset kind, which should fix this error.

Thanks for the report, and please let me know if you have any further issues.

Terry Palmer
Programmer
N3V Games

Hi Christopher824,

I've added some missing DB data for the "effect-layer-preset" asset kind, which should fix this error.

Thanks for the report, and please let me know if you have any further issues.

Terry Palmer
Programmer
N3V Games

Thank You!

I have re-submitted my example above. It is currently processing, and will have an answer soon if it works. I think this will open a new door for Trainz users.

<kuid2:647907:102005:1> turffx - CDE TurfFX Grass Long 01

Last edited:
The 'TURF' now works. Grass available on DLS

kind "effect-layer-preset"
category-class "TURF"
effect-type "turffx"

<kuid2:647907:102005:1> turffx - CDE TurfFX Grass Long 01

This is exciting, thanks for your work on this Christopher. Does this mean we can all now upload Turfx assets and share with the community?

Paul

This is exciting, thanks for your work on this Christopher. Does this mean we can all now upload Turfx assets and share with the community?

Paul

You can download the effect above, but I can't figure out how to use it in a new route. Still an open subject

Back