Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Metrorail (Work in Progress)

car112

Hello everyone! I have some excellent news. I have started building my first long term project. This route will be huge! It will include the following:

Red Line (Shady Grove to Glenmont)
Orange Line (Vienna to New Carrollton)
Yellow Line (Huntington to Fort Totten. Rush hour service from Franconia–Springfield to Greenbelt)
Green Line (Branch Ave to Greenbelt)
Blue Line (Franconia-Springfield to Largo Town Center)

All stations will be from original ideas even though they will be in the same place. Also, there doesn't need to be a ton of scenery too.

I will need a ton of support and help when making this route. I will update as I build each line.
Currently, Branch Ave station on the Green Line is complete. I still need to lay down the track.

Here is the first screenshot of the route:

1355a4f29c8f58de56b53e6d8f1b9c07.jpg

And here is the route of the system. I'll be using Google Maps as a reference.

Washington_Metro_diagram_sb.svg

I will need a ton of support and motivation to complete this project. Currently, I have started working on the Green Line from Branch Ave. Already, the station is completed and the yard is almost finished. If there is anyone who would love to work on one of the lines, please send me a PM. After I finish the Green Line, the Red Line will be built next, followed by the Yellow Line. Next will be the Orange Line and finally the Blue Line. If you have any questions, please comment below or send me a PM.

Every station needs to be passenger enabled. I prefer for a train to load passengers instead of opening the doors and seeing an empty platform.

Thank you and stay awesome!

P.S. Version 5 of the EBTA is expected to be completed by December 2016.

Looks like a solid start. Good luck on your route-building endeavours. Nice map, too.

Thank you applegathc. It seems that this kind of endeavor has not been completed yet. There are some people who have tried to build the red line but have left it incomplete. I can't wait to finish the Green Line.

Just a quick note, this thread should belong in Screenshots. I do apologize for starting the thread in Freeware Announcements. Thank you. More updates will be posted next week.

Edit (by oknotsen):
Topic moved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update!

Wow, it has been awhile since I've updated this thread. But, I have some news and a few questions.

1. Branch Ave and Suitland stations have been updated a bit, adding those AJS walls with windows on them to the station makes them look so pleasing. Naylor Road and Congress Heights are still fine and dandy but they are both still a work in progress. As for Southern Ave station, I have added two escalators and two elevators to the station. There will be screenshots of the route when I get the chance.

2. If you guys have any questions at all or any feedback about the route, please send me a private message or post a message in this thread. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

3. So far, I'm using Russian subway cars that were made my Cyritrainz. They are a bit too loud and I'm considering on using the WMATA subway cars instead. Maybe I could use a different type I don't know. I'll just need to see which one works the best.

4. I've been using the destination signs made by boat for the Sen City route that display the route and destination. I'm looking for a better electronic destination sign that could be used to display the subway train's destination once it arrives at the station. For the underground stations, that won't be necessary.

5. Is there a possibility to create the actual subway stations on the WMATA and import them to trainz? It would take months to achieve but in the end, it could be worth it.

6. Since I'm working on the Green Line, I'm wondering if there is anyone who like to build the other lines? That would be the red, orange, yellow, or blue lines. If you would like to do the silver line, that won't be necessary.

7. Even though this project is slow, I'm doing my best to work on it as much as I can. I would need beta testers once I get the green line to the first transfer station: L'Enfant Plaza.

8. In conclusion, I thank you all for your support. If only I started this route much earlier.

Thank you and stay awesome!

P.S. I will be using the premetro station asset for underground stations on the route until I can make the station meshes for the WMATA green line.

Well, this is interesting. Nobody seems to be interested in this route. I would like to apologize because I've been very busy. I will try to post some screenshots of the route tomorrow. I will be on spring break so I will have enough time to work on the route. Thank you all for your support so far and stay awesome!

Never go on the lack of re ponce , for no interest . I would vary much like to see more shots of your work . Light rail holds great interest for me . But as I'm a Steam nut , this for me is to learn and watch . I don't have any knowledge that would be helpful on the subject .

Matt

I agree with Railwoodman. Do not take lack of response as a disinterest among the majority. There are soooo many different type of train buffs here, not all are into commuter trains, subways, or trams so they really have nothing to say because they only know steam locos or long distance freight diesels. Look at it this way too, you have not released anything "yet" so there's nothing (virtually) tangible too discuss. Most people only respond when something is "not" working properly, so if you release something that's being consistently downloaded and don't hear much about it, that's a good thing because what you released is working fine.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I have some bad news. I have to completely shut down both the EBTA and the WMATA route projects. I know I have worked hard on both of them but I want to have a fresh restart. I promise that I'll come up with a new route someday. It was nice to work on these routes. The EBTA that I uploaded to the DLC will remain on there but that's it. Thank you all and stay awesome.

Wow, I can’t believe it’s been awhile since I’ve posted to this thread. Anyway, I have some good news I would like to share. I have started working on this route again, starting at Branch Ave on the Green Line. I’ve been building the yard nearby and will be working on the station when the yard is done. Progress images will be posted when enough progress has been made. I will try to see if I can design the interiors of the subway stations using blender or a similar 3D program. I just can’t believe that the stations created for the Trainz version of the Moscow Metro look so nice. I’m referring to the ones created by Cyritrainz. I wish I could try to contact them about my interest in working on this project, but I don’t think I’ll be able to do so.

For those of you who are interested in the Washington DC Metro System and would like to provide any form of assistance, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much, and have a good one.

I have always been dreaming driving the WAMTA trains. I look forward to this project. I wish you the best of luck on working on this

I have always been dreaming driving the WAMTA trains. I look forward to this project. I wish you the best of luck on working on this

Thank you! I’ll make sure this route looks as simple as possible. I’m open to any questions, feedback, or comments as well.

Hello everyone. Here’s my plan for how I’ll be constructing this route:

I’ve started working on the WMATA Green Line between Branch Ave and Greenbelt. Once that line is done, I’ll work on the WMATA Yellow Line between L’Enfant Plaza and Huntington. Next, I’ll work on the WMATA Blue Line from Franconia-Springfield to Largo Town Center. After the WMATA Blue Line is complete, I’ll work on the WMATA Orange Line between New Carrollton and Vienna. Finally, I’ll work on the WMATA Red Line and the stretch of the WMATA Silver Line from East Falls Church to Ashburn.

I’m very impressed that there has been progress on Trainz projects that relate to the NYCTA and BART systems, respectively. I’m disappointed that interest in the WMATA has been lost almost completely, but I will try to revive and gain interest in WMATA as much as I can. As always, I will appreciate feedback, comments, suggestions, and questions about the project.

Happy Holidays, and stay awesome!

Car112,
I was really pleased to see you reviving the Metro for DC route. I spent a lot of time on the big five colors when I lived in Northern Virginia and headed into DC. The silver and purple lines didn't exist back then. I was always on the Blue line to Reagan, or Blue-Yellow-Red to Chinatown. There was a really neat pub, the Irish Channel Restaurant and Pub, just off Chinatown, that we frequented. The food wasn't all the special, but they had Guiness on tap. That was amazing.

Lots of good memories on the Metro. I'm pleased to see you working on it. Having ridden on it a lot, I've always wanted to drive it. I wish you luck and perserverance.

Heinrich505

Car112,
I was really pleased to see you reviving the Metro for DC route. I spent a lot of time on the big five colors when I lived in Northern Virginia and headed into DC. The silver and purple lines didn't exist back then. I was always on the Blue line to Reagan, or Blue-Yellow-Red to Chinatown. There was a really neat pub, the Irish Channel Restaurant and Pub, just off Chinatown, that we frequented. The food wasn't all the special, but they had Guiness on tap. That was amazing.

Lots of good memories on the Metro. I'm pleased to see you working on it. Having ridden on it a lot, I've always wanted to drive it. I wish you luck and perserverance.

Heinrich505

Thank you very much! On weekends, I used to ride all the lines to their endpoints when I used to live in Maryland. I knew that a connection to the Dulles International Airport would be possible someday, hence why the Silver Line was built. Getting off at the Pentagon City station for the Blue/Yellow Lines was very convenient, especially for those who went shopping at the Pentagon City Mall. Enjoying lunch at the now closed Johnny Rocket’s was always a treat, as I looked forward to sitting on my knees in the front backwards-facing seat of the front car, being able to see the viewpoint of the driver. When the driver had to check the doors on the left side, that wasn’t much of a problem. However, the rear car backwards-facing seat was amazing. Unfortunately, these can’t be done on the 7000 series stock.

Thank you for your interest, and have a good one.

Hello everyone. I would like to apologize for not responding to this thread in awhile, but due to personal reasons, I have failed to work on this project. This kind of endeavor would have to be a team effort as a group collaboration. I just can’t work on this project on my own. I don’t want to assume that there has been a lack of interest for subway systems being recreated in Trainz, but I think the necessary goals for this WMATA project would have to be the following:

1. WMATA Rolling Stock (2000 series, 3000 series, and 7000 series Metrorail cars. Optional: WMATA work locos, WMATA Money Train, and WMATA Maintenance of Way Equipment.)
2. WMATA Metrorail Stations (Surface, Underground, Elevated, and Sub-Surface)
3. WMATA Metrorail Rail Yards (Brentwood, Branch Avenue, Greenbelt, Glenmont, New Carrollton, Largo (Tail Tracks), Shady Grove, Alexandria, and West Falls Church.)
4. Scenery and Infrastructure nearby the WMATA Metrorail. (To be as simple as possible. Underground stations will only have the underground station, nothing else above or below.)
5. WMATA Track, Bridges, Signals, Tunnels, Platforms, Elevators, Escalators, Station Accessories, etc.
6. Other rail lines interacting with WMATA. (To be as simple as possible and will have portals or loops with layover yards beyond the map.)
7. Other things not mentioned in this list.

I hope that a group of awesome people can come together to work on this project. I would be happy to contribute if necessary. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you very much, have a good one, and stay awesome!

Last edited:
Hello everyone. It has been over a year since I've replied to this thread. Trying to get back to working on this project will be difficult, but I hope I can do my best to make sure it will be a good one. To make things simple, I need to come up with a plan for the route. What I plan to do is to work on this project in various phases. For example, Phase 1 will be the Red Line from Rhode Island Ave to Farragut North, with the construction of Brentwood Yard included. I will be putting together a Google Docs document to organize the planning of the project. If anyone would like to view this document, please let me know. As I don't have TransDEM, I may need to find another alternative to make sure the landscape is correct.

It feels good to be back working on a route again. I'll do the best I can. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you all, and stay awesome!

When I lived in Washington, D.C., it was 1950 to 1955. A great deal has changed since then. I lived in Morningside. My dad was in the Air Force and worked at Andrews. As a kid, I loved to join my friends and ride our bikes to Branch Avenue to catch the streetcars into town. Fare was a single quarter. We'd ride them everywhere. In the summer, there was always the attraction of Glen Echo Amusement park way out to the northwest. Took four transfers (free) to get there and nearly an hour of riding. We didn't care.

Bill

When I lived in Washington, D.C., it was 1950 to 1955. A great deal has changed since then. I lived in Morningside. My dad was in the Air Force and worked at Andrews. As a kid, I loved to join my friends and ride our bikes to Branch Avenue to catch the streetcars into town. Fare was a single quarter. We'd ride them everywhere. In the summer, there was always the attraction of Glen Echo Amusement park way out to the northwest. Took four transfers (free) to get there and nearly an hour of riding. We didn't care.

Bill

Interesting! There was a streetcar system in Washington, D.C. before the Washington Metro. Dupont Circle still has the abandoned streetcar tunnel still intact. Known as the "Blunderpass", cars would accidentally drive down the ramps and crash into trolleys departing from the tunnels.

Source of what I mentioned can be found here: https://www.washingtontunnels.com/streetcar-map

I've used this same website for research in the Washington Metro as well. Also, the Glen Echo Park Carousel is still around today too.

I got to thinking about my last post and realized it wasn't Branch Avenue at all. We rode bikes to the 17th and Pennsylvania Ave loop. It's shown on this map:

1958_dc_map.webp

Glen Echo was way out on the Cabin John line next to last stop. Happy to know the carousel is still there. The whole park was fantastic when you're only 13.

Bill

Back