bnsf50's grade crossings

Yes, just open the crossing in cm "content manager" and find the tag "bell-0", click on it and then where it says default-mesh click on the button with the dots on it. When the kuid browser opens, type crossing bell in the second from the top slot. You'll have 9 or 10 crossing bells pop up. Just click on the one you want and then the select button at the bottom. There is one called Null which if you select this one there will not be a bell on the crossing. Please know that this will only change the bell but not the sound. To do that you would have to change or modify the .wav file located in the crossings main folder.
You can do the same thing with the crossbucks.

Last edited:
so there is no way to remove one of the bell sounds so you can only hear one not a bell over playing itself??

I think you are hearing bells on both posts. I was also wondering that was the case, and if it is, could I disable one of them?

If you're talking about the NRC crossings then you could be hearing 2 bell sounds since they are separate assets on either side of the track. The only way to stop that would be to clone it with a unique name like xxxxxxx no bell sound and then remove the bell .wav from that one.
If you're talking about the regular crossings then there is only one bell .wav for the entire setup so there is no way to hear 2 sounds even though you see 2 bells on the crossings.

Thank you very much, that makes perfect sense. I have been using ATLS and the NRC crossings and that never dawned on me. Easy fix for my issue. Thanks also again for all of your crossings, I couldn't get by without them.

Or another way to look at it is that in the real world there are bells on both sides of the track in many cases and they're not always the same type so you would hear two bells in that case anyway. So what you're hearing in Trainz therefore would actually be quite prototypical.

If you're talking about the NRC crossings then you could be hearing 2 bell sounds since they are separate assets on either side of the track. The only way to stop that would be to clone it with a unique name like xxxxxxx no bell sound and then remove the bell .wav from that one.
If you're talking about the regular crossings then there is only one bell .wav for the entire setup so there is no way to hear 2 sounds even though you see 2 bells on the crossings.
Yup; That's pretty much what I did; except that instead of removing the bell.wav file, I just silenced it. I was afraid the asset would report an error if it did not find the bell.wav file. But I could have just removed the reference to the file instead:)

I also found some oddities with the bell sound:
The bell.wav file plays once for each cycle of the flashers. There is interaction between the bell sound and the interval of the flashers. (The interval can be set in the config.txt file.)

If for example, the interval is set to 0.9, and the bell.wav file is say 0.75sec, then the bell sound will have gaps in it.
On the other hand, if the bell.wav file is longer, then the bell sound will overlap itself, and may sound a bit odd.

I am experimenting with the two parameters, to come up with the perfect bell.
It would be nice if Auran had given us a "bell engine" that would always generate perfect bells.:D

FW

Yeah, it is more realistic to have one bell playing from one of the crossing gates. Real railroads do this. Does anyone know how to make the bell sounds be 44100hzinstead of the 22050hz?

Yeah, it is more realistic to have one bell playing from one of the crossing gates. Real railroads do this. Does anyone know how to make the bell sounds be 44100hzinstead of the 22050hz?

Use an audio editor such as Audacity.

John

I already knew that, and I have experience with audio editors such as Audacity and Goldwave. My question was that BNSF50's sounds are 22500 or something like that and if you use the stock resampling rate of 44100 the bell sound sounds weird. I have been using audio editors since like 2010 for MSTS.

I am looking for the Safetran Type 2 E Bell (the slow sounding bell). Can't find it in DLS. I tried looking it up in my game (Trackside Tab and Objects) and couldn't find anything. Anybody know where I can locate that specific bell and if it's already built into by Trainz 2 game, what keywords should I look for? Thanks.

I am looking for the Safetran Type 2 E Bell (the slow sounding bell). Can't find it in DLS. I tried looking it up in my game (Trackside Tab and Objects) and couldn't find anything. Anybody know where I can locate that specific bell and if it's already built into by Trainz 2 game, what keywords should I look for? Thanks.

The BNSF50 Grade Xing US 07 is not one of those?

You can clone the crossing and modify the bell. Ensure to save the bell in exactly the same format the bell is when opened.

There are other parameters you can adjust for the crossing(s), by clicking on the ? and then clicking on the placed asset.

You can clone the crossing and modify the bell. Ensure to save the bell in exactly the same format the bell is when opened.

There are other parameters you can adjust for the crossing(s), by clicking on the ? and then clicking on the placed asset.
Ok sounds good. Thanks. Peace.

Back