What are some Steamers made for Trainz that look great with the CIWL cars by Vendel?

shebashetan7

Hi all,

Today, I've searching around a good variety of 3rd-Party Trainz sites and the DLS for some excellent steam locomotives dating from post-WWI/pre-WWII-era Europe that go great with Vendel's top-notch CIWL Orient Express carriages. Anyone have any ideas on what locomotives pulled the 1930's Orient Express? I understand that the train passed through many countries, which means that motive power native to them pulled the express, however if somebody could provide a few examples of steam locomotives from France, Germany, and maybe Austria available for Trainz that were known/proven to pull the Orient Express when it passed through the those countries.

Feel free to post if you have any suggestions.
'

Last edited:
The locomotive in that movie is of a 4-8-2 "Mountain" wheel arrangement. A French 4-8-2 by genesteal is on the DLS, by Genesteal; "Loc 241P30" <kuid2:64577:403:2>
In the original 1974 version, the Express is pulled by a SNCF 230k 4-6-0.
Sidney-Lumet-Murder-on-the-Orient-Express-1974.JPG

(Large Photo)

Are there any good French 4-6-2 Pacifics for Trainz that are not painted black; unlike the ones on the DLS that are marked as "noire"; black?

Last edited:
I also got Bambi's CIWL coaches from that site. Straight on his homepage, it states that he was working on an Orient Express luggage van. What happened to it?

The real Orient Express was pulled by a variety of steam locos throughout history. I think the main loco that pulled it was a 4-6-2 Pacific Class steam loco. MTH Electric Trains (not me, the model train company) has actually made the Orient Express coaches and is sold with this class of loco from SNCF. Today the real train is just pulled by a modern electric locomotive.

What locomotives pulled the Orient Express as it passed through Germany? Also, speaking of the real Orient Express, what was the typical length/numbers of cars in the train consist during the 30's, and how was it usually arranged; the position of the sleeping, dining, and pullman lounge carriages in the consist?

OK, perhaps no one knows the answer to the second question. Anyways, what routes made for TS12 and previous cover a portion or two of the general area/regions the real Orient Express passed through? I've mostly been using the Black Forest route from TRS06 and the Hungarian route built-in to TS12 developed by HOTTrainz/FMA, the original hosts/creators of the CIWL fleet for TRS.

OK, perhaps no one knows the answer to the second question. Anyways, what routes made for TS12 and previous cover a portion or two of the general area/regions the real Orient Express passed through? I've mostly been using the Black Forest route from TRS06 and the Hungarian route built-in to TS12 developed by HOTTrainz/FMA, the original hosts/creators of the CIWL fleet for TRS.

The Orient Express was pulled by a Golsdorf 380 in MSTS but none exist for Trainz.

Here is a picture of it:

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
What about the German Br. 01 4-6-2 or the Bavarian S 3/6? These are two German locomotives that are available for Trainz.
420px-01118_Koenigstein.jpg

300px-018_505-8_3.jpg

Here is MTH's model of the loco that they have:

20-3343-1.jpg

Those look great by the way! I think that the Bavarian S 3/6 would probably look best if you can't find anything else.

Last edited:
I think that the French locomotive above was built-in to TRS06; the difference is that one has brass/gold trim, the Trainz version does not. I did find a few S 3/6's on papytrainz.jimdo.com that actually ran with SNCF.

I think that the French locomotive above was built-in to TRS06; the difference is that one has brass/gold trim, the Trainz version does not. I did find a few S 3/6's on papytrainz.jimdo.com that actually ran with SNCF.

Yes, it was built-in and I loved it and remember it very well. It is on the DLS but is no longer available and the name of it is Loc 231K Noire. The loco was all black in TRS2006.

Last edited:
I have that. Now regarding Vendel's FMA coaches, some of theme are marked as RENFE and have the text above the windows written in Spanish. What do you think is going on with those particular coaches? CIWL never ran trains in Spain.:confused:

Last edited:
I was writing just when you edited your post about the built-in French loco, but I do have that engine installed on my machine, it is just explicitly marked as SNCF and is compliant with TS12 standard. One of my more recent posts on this thread talks about the RENFE CIWL coaches by Vendel; that's what I was just writing when you made the edit.

Now have you seen the new Orient Express DLC available for TANE? It's directly right on the front page. I would buy it,but unfortunately I don't have TANE. Still, very well done.

On the subject of Vendel's CIWL cars, what particular cars should I use from the FMA CIWL packs hosted on SpainTrainzRutas.com to create a 1930's Paris-London Orient Express?

Back