Fossil Fuel Route questions

NS_Engr

I have tried numerous times to complete this run with no success.

I begin by taking the tank cars to the next yard and doubling to the empty coal hoppers and caboose. I then travel to the mine to unload the fuel and load up the coal cars,, but whatever sequence I use to get the train ready to leave with the loaded coal hoppers, I cannot get it complete.

If anyone has suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike

Welcome to the forums, NS_Engr!

This question comes up every so often it seems - check out this related thread here:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...er-County-Fossil-Fuels&highlight=Fossil+Fuels

There are several ways to skin the Fossil Fuels cat, and here I outline one them...

pc_ace:-
There are different ways to achieve the shunting required here, but my favourite version goes something like this...
1. Uncouple the tankers from the coal wagons and park them on the siding two across from the coal wagons.
2. Pull half of the coal wagons through the loader and stop/ uncouple when you need to keep your run-around switch clear.
3. Go to the other end of the coal wagons and push the remainder through until the load complete message appears.
4. Pull the coal wagons back a little to clear the far switches and then uncouple the caboose.
5. Back up to clear the points so you can push the caboose back past both consists on one of the vacant sidings to park it near the line terminus.
6. Go to the rear of the tankers, pull them back clear of the siding switch and then push them through the diesel drop-off. (Unloading can be achieved with just two stops.)
7. Draw the tank cars back onto the adjacent siding and then push them up to couple up to the caboose you parked right up at the end of the line earlier. (Make sure they are clear of the points.)
8. Run back to the other end of your coal hoppers and push them up towards the tankers to couple up gently before departure to the yard where you'll drop off the tankers and caboose...

Should be able to complete all of this within 30 minutes and before the top of the hour.

That's just ONE way to get the job done (and not necessarily the most efficient.)
Have fun with this one. I find that it is one of the most satisfying (and in earlier beta editions that were very buggy, most frustrating!) sessions to complete in Kickstarter County.

A variation on this theme at Step 2. above is to pull ALL of the coal hoppers through the loader after you've parked the tankers for safe-keeping. There's just enough room to do this to receive the Loading Complete notification...

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help is this issue.

I was finally able to get things moved around in the right order to load the coal hoppers and empty the tank cars. Got the hack on the rear and was ready to depart on the return trip only to find I could NOT get the Engineers changed over to the new lead engine. I'm searching the manual for how to do it, but no luck yet.

Mike

To change what loco an engineer is in, just use the "Move to Train" command. This works on MUs too and is very effective in some situations concerning the AI.

Thanks for that tip. Will try it in a bit.

I was able to get the Engineer moved to the other loco and took the train to the yard (tankers) and then to Power Plant for coal. Cut the coal off in the plant, but didn't get any new instructions for the locos. Tried taking them back to yard where tankers were and when I got there, all of a sudden I was operating a yard engine shifting the tankers. Not a clue how that happened.

scenario in TaNE SP 3

Ah, you have T:ANE. There seems to be AI problems with it right now so keep that in mind too.
Can be solved. Not in 90 min. with Drive command between obj. points, but in less of 2 hours.
But ....
There are more restriction, too more and not realistic.
Ex. I want to start with 1 loco+coal cars+cambu+1 loco+oil tanks ... Not possible because 1 switch is blocked
There are mor non realistic restriction
I understand to not leave yards zone without permisions but let me form my consist in my order.
I promise,: oil and coals will arrived in right locations.

More realism.

Good scenario but bad implementation.

There are three videos that show right up if you google Trainz Fossil fuels. The first one below is the pattern I ultimately chose to use. You have to move along fairly smartly though, or you will get docked a star for going to slow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQrNkcjhkhI

This second one uses a different method at the mine, but just as good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVyfPAoGaiE

And finally, here is a video that is only 13 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khj9X9Bw-2c

There, I have done your google for you.

Back