Enginewhistle's reskins and what-nots

enginewhistle

On Hiatus
Decided to show off some of my reskins and stuff here, so I made this thread:eek:

Recently, I have been experimenting with different airbrush tips for weathering. I've really liked the results of what's been coming from my "paint" shop:D

This is the first one I did earlier today. I think i'll start over and redo the weathering on this one:p
enginewhistle2012090100.jpg

Especially liked how this one turned out:

I really like the last one. I assume thats JR Payware that you reskinned? If not i gotta have that!

Yes, it's JR payware. They offer a 3 pack of BNSF ES44's in different weathering types for $10. I'm eventually going to make a tutorial on my website on how I weather locos and rollingstock :)

I'm going to redo that freeware hopper on weathering. It gets easy after a while. You can use an airbrush tool with different tips and paint back and forth on the model to achieve those effects (kinda like spray painting a small object to get a nice coat)

Last edited:
Hi Enginewhistle,

Don't take this the wrong way, I am not trying to put you down. I think you have the opacity about right but the brush size could be a bit bigger to give a less streaky effect.

Cheers,
Bill69

Don't take this the wrong way, I am not trying to put you down. I think you have the opacity about right but the brush size could be a bit bigger to give a less streaky effect.

I noticed that with the hopper. I'm going to redo the weathering so it won't be streaky like it was on the grime layer I had set up (those black streaks).

That hopper along with the SD7 were the first weathering jobs I did, so they won't be as good as the BNSF ES44 (I had a fun time painting the trucks on it too :) ). But for right now, I...:sleep:

Last edited:
While I believe that the airbrush feature is a good start for weathering, I also like to use a separate layer, and play with the deform tool to drag the textures down.

Yes I agree with slabay, the hopper is much better. Now you are getting the hang of it you can have lots of fun trying different effects.

Cheers,
Bill69

The first weathering attempt I ever did back in January:
enginewhistle2012010200.jpg

Finished up on weathering this along with the alpha numbers on the sides.
enginewhistle2012090200.jpg

Edit: Never mind. I managed to fix it.

Last edited:
Wow That looks GOOD man!
Is there any certain combination of colors u use on your SD40-2s? Im starting to want to reskin my CN already:p.

Last edited:
Wow That looks GOOD man!
Is there any certain combination of colors u use on your SD40-2s? Im starting to want to reskin my CN already:p.

These are the RGB values I use:

Grime: 0, 0, 0,
Rust: 136, 57, 4
Dirt: 126, 113, 38
Dust: 192, 192, 192

Last one for the night :sleep:
enginewhistle2012090200.jpg

Last edited:
Well, i'm back after being stuck on MSTS and buying the Scenic Sub for it (great addon too) :p

Here are some locomotives I decided to weather earlier. Also the first time i've weathered an RRMods model too.
enginewhistle2012101900.jpg

I'd like an opinion on this one. I'm not quite sure if i've ever seen a BN executive SD70MAC this dirty...
enginewhistle2012101900.jpg

Back