Which 2019 to buy

Alco_P-A

My son who wants to get into train simulation after seeing what 2019 looks like on my pc and what it can do is undecided which version to buy after visiting the Trainz store. TRS2019,TRS2019 North American Edition or TRS2019 EU or UK Editions. He doesn't know which is best to buy, a box or digital version and doesn't know what the pros and cons are. I told him I would ask the forum community and see what they think. Thanks.
Alco_P-A

He doesn't know which is best to buy, a box or digital version and doesn't know what the pros and cons are.
There is no 'best' between those editions. The underlying functionality is identical - the difference is only in the included routes and assets. The decision comes down to what your main interests are and whether or not you want to pay the extra for the additional routes.

The boxed edition is really just the digital edition with a CD in a case - you will still need to download a large amount of content to get a complete up-to-date installation, especially for the full version. It's a useful backup if you are not confident about being able to download the digital version if needed at some point in the future. Of course, if your son gets into it then he will be downloading a lot of additional content anyway.
https://www.trainzportal.com/news/view/trainz-regional-edition-faqs

Let’s do the math

I was interested in calculating costs for myself so thought I might share.

Using the table N3V published here September 4, 2019.

Assuming your interest in Trainz lasts 10 years.
Assuming costs remain the same for 10 years (likely not but who can crystal ball that).

bmu8mDw.png

So, what is your interest?

Buy
You own forever.

If you are a hobbyist and want to make your own content, then purchasing new releases of the program as they come out is the way to go, particularly if the releases come out every two years, which is more likely the case. Although you can freely access N3V’s download station with 200,000 to 300,000 assets, you will probably want to purchase a first class ticket for faster download capability to access the things you do not want to make, or at least not initially ($602.00 over 10 years).

Silver membership
Lease routes, sessions, etc. between game releases.

If you are a gamer and want all of the latest content releases when they first come out (routes, sessions, and new assets to place in routes) then you probably want to go for a Silver Membership ($863.14 over 10 years).

Gold membership
Lease game updates while in beta, routes, sessions, and new assets to place in routes.

If you are a gamer and want all of the latest releases when they first come out (game updates, routes, sessions, etc.) then you probably want to go for a Gold Membership ($1,295.14 over 10 years).

Trainz Plus
Lease game updates while in beta and with up to a three-month delay routes, sessions, and new assets to place in routes.

This alternative let’s you “have your cake and eating it to” if you are patient. You can have access to all new games beta updates when they come out and, within three months, all new routes, sessions, and new assets to place in routes ($690.34 over 10 years).

This is a saving of $604.80 over a Gold Membership. Note that this is considerably cheaper than buying the program outright assuming a new release comes out very year ($952.00) and about same price as buying the program outright assuming a new release comes out every two years ($602.00).
Add $70.00 if you decide to buy to own outright after 10 years.

Cayden

Gold includes the FCT as part of the cost of the package for $14.99 a month.

At $14.99 monthly, that's 12.99 for the program plus $2.00 for the FCT. At one point, a discount was offered so I for example, get the Gold for $12.99 monthly instead of the $14.99 a savings of $24 per year, which makes the FCT free for me.

Last edited:
In short:
Regional Editions. The game is exactly the same. The only difference are the routes that are included. TIP: A big part of the Trainz "experience" is the huge amount of free routes, sessions, and assets available to download. These free assets are made by the community of users. There are thousands of free assets available from Prototypical Routes, to a run session for that route, to specific content for the route (rolling stock with appropriate road names, etc.) There are also what I call "Mythical Fun Routes" that "break all the rules" but are simply fun to run because they are designed just for that... fun and fantasy.

Acquiring the game - That is a decision that only you can make. It is hotly debated in the forums. You can buy the game outright (full edition or regional editions) or you can get a Gold or Silver membership and pay a monthly fee. But when you leave (stop paying) the game goes too. It stops working. There are other benefits to the memberships, you can read about them in the store.

Using the game - Some people like to design routes and will spend months and even years doing so. Some like to simply Drive trains and do switching, etc... Some like to create sessions. Some get into designing and making all the assets (buildings, loco's, signals, track, etc etc.)

The other item greatly discussed here is the "freeware" vs "payware." Silver and Gold memberships not only gets you the game, but gets you discounts in the store (payware). But there are so many quality "freeware" routes available some people don't want what's in the store even with discounts. There are also 3rd party sellers of Routes, Loco's, and rolling stock.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
you will still need to download a large amount of content to get a complete up-to-date installation, especially for the full version.
This is not true. The boxed DVD editions include all of the content packs listed for each TRS19 edition (note, regional editions may also have content you don't have access to on the discs, since the same first disc is used for all versions). The content packages are installed separately, but there is no requirement to download the content packages since they are included on the disc.

Regards

I have the North American Edition through Steam and I am very happy with it. I got it on sale for around $26. The included route is ok, but not as high quality as some of the other payware routes when it comes to trackwork but the scenery is fantastic. My purchases of DLC for TS12 and Tane which also are through Steam downloaded and installed without any problems.

William

Alco_P-A... I'm curious. Due to your username "Alco PA"- Do you also have an interest in trains (or is it just your son?) If so I think perhaps you'll be creating layouts or sessions yourself. :) Checkout the Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific Route (I just ran this) featured in the latest newsletter. This is user created content and available free from in game CM (Content Manager).

Latest News (email newsletter)

There's lot's of Route video's on YouTube also if you want to check them out. Some prototypical, some Model Railroad. Just search for "Trainz Route"

Last edited:
My First Class Ticket has just expired, so it is decision time.
I bought the full TRS 19 as soon as it became available. The question is: do I now go for Trainz Plus to get access to the Driver / surveyor option, which is, frankly the only thing which would induce me to to do so.
Do I assume that, should I rent Plus, would I have to have a completely new and separate installation? If not, then what happens if / when I stop renting, to my original installation which is bought and paid for?
As a UK modeller, there is nothing in DLC which would interest me - there being no new UK based DLC assets on offer (other than the 2 included routes) for as long as have been involved.
Best wishes
Ian

My First Class Ticket has just expired, so it is decision time.
I bought the full TRS 19 as soon as it became available. The question is: do I now go for Trainz Plus to get access to the Driver / surveyor option, which is, frankly the only thing which would induce me to to do so.
Do I assume that, should I rent Plus, would I have to have a completely new and separate installation? If not, then what happens if / when I stop renting, to my original installation which is bought and paid for?
As a UK modeller, there is nothing in DLC which would interest me - there being no new UK based DLC assets on offer (other than the 2 included routes) for as long as have been involved.
Best wishes
Ian

The Driver-Surveyor option is only available in the Beta version of Plus. If this works out as planned, hoping and with fingers crossed, this feature will eventually make it to the TRS19 (TRS2019) edition since Plus is a beta environment to test out new features by the community.

If you decide to go with Plus, this will be a new install and will not affect your purchased edition unless you install any DLC there, where if you decide to cancel, that DLC will become inactive as well. Since you are not interested in the DLC, routes included, you'll have nothing to worry about then.

I will stick with my TRS2019 UK version, it's perfectly adequate for my needs. As has been already stated: there isn't much, indeed, if anything at all in the way of new UK DLC content and I have all existing UK DLC content. I'm even beginning to doubt whether I actually need a 1st class DLS ticket, for what little UK content there is, especially pre-grouping content, the non 1st class download speed is quite adequate, albeit a usually overnight download required but that's OK.

I'm afraid I don't subscribe to the 'keep N3V solvent by buying more add ons and top of the range subscription schemes' point of view so I'll stick with my current set up.

I've no doubt there will be a new Trainz 20xx along soon so the N3V money grasping options will change yet again!

Rob.

Kindly.... please don't turn this thread into another "which version" to use/get thread... (outside of the scope of the original post) - There are plenty of those already. Please.

Yes I am into trains. I've built some routes which are on the DLS under my username. I'm working on a layout for 2019 which will be done in a while.

Back