PRR Maps or Track plans.

PBY357

Some call me Biff
My fellow trainzers, tonight i am asking for links to books, websites, and maps. The area I need is from Mifflin PA to McVayetown PA, I am looking for track in the 1920's, but anything is helpful. Also if there is information on the Kishacoquillas Valley RR or the Lewistown and Reedsville electric railway, that would be very helpful also. Thank you and goodnite.

What division is that? Aside from my Philadelphia-area stuff, I have some western-PA/Ohio stuff, and might be able to locate central-PA material.

Also, take a look over at multimodalways.org.

I'd love to see something for Baltimore between the Union and B&P tunnels (and beyond if available). Either that section isn't documented online, or I haven't been able to find it. The sites I've seen out there have navigation that doesn't make much sense to me, since I don't know all the area's names and so forth...

What division is that? Aside from my Philadelphia-area stuff, I have some western-PA/Ohio stuff, and might be able to locate central-PA material.

Also, take a look over at multimodalways.org.
The PRR Middle Division. Any map of Lewistown would be helpful.

The softcover book Lewistown and the Pennsylvania Railroad by the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical and Historical Society, published in 2000, and 161 pages long, has a rather complete history of transportation in Mifflin County PA. It includes separate chapters on both the Kishacoquillas Valley RR and the Lewistown and Reedsville electric railway that include numerous photos, maps, schedules, and track diagrams. A copy can be purchased from the Society's e-store for $20.00. This is the URL to the store: http://www.prrths.com/estore/index_estore.html

Also, the US Geological Survey has a website where you can download for free ("your tax dollars at work") historical USGS topo maps in one piece (as opposed to some other sites where you can get them for free but they are split up in pieces). This is the URL for the USGS site:
http://nationalmap.gov/historical/

Have fun!

Sir thank you very much. When the finished product comes around you wont be disappointed!

Try also RailfanDepot for this kind of thing:

http://www.railfandepot.com/servlet/StoreFront

Let me know if you can't find track charts or interlocking diagrams. I'm not 100% where I got the PRR Western-PA/Ohio charts from, but I think it was them.

If it's for a route that you'll be uploading to the DLS, I will try a bit harder to find info for you (sorry, I don't help with or deal with non-DLS projects) now that I know the division. Central-PA is a bit of a hole in my collection, but I can look around and do have access to some of the Triumph books as well.

Last edited:
... Also, the US Geological Survey has a website where you can download for free ("your tax dollars at work") historical USGS topo maps in one piece (as opposed to some other sites where you can get them for free but they are split up in pieces). This is the URL for the USGS site:
http://nationalmap.gov/historical/

The USGS historical tops are usually an excellent source. MyTopo has a collection of historical topo maps as well. They are "split-up" into sections, but sometimes you find versions of maps that aren't available at the official USGS site.

Historical county maps can also be another great source. They're usually less detailed than the USGS maps, but often time I find they help "fill in the blanks" for certain details. Level of detail will vary greatly by state, but I have found a few county maps that provide clearer detail on sidings and wyes than the USGS. However, "your mileage my vary", etc.

I can't say how detailed these PA historical county maps are, but here's the URL to them: PA Historical County Maps

The American Memory map collection can be another great source. (For example: search for "Pennsylvania".)

I have found a few very detailed maps produced by various railroads, coal companies, etc. in this collection. But again, "your mileage may vary"... Most maps are in JPEG2000 format. You may need a JPEG2000 viewer (such as the ones available here) to view and work with these maps.

Well at this time, I'm not sure if I'll upload it to the DLS. If pofig would release more trees I definetly would. As of right now, I only have the DEM map. Thanks in advance. Now I have a question for you, Is grahamsea still around? If not, were can I find his signals? and Thanks WAV-USA

Well at this time, I'm not sure if I'll upload it to the DLS. If pofig would release more trees I definetly would. As of right now, I only have the DEM map. Thanks in advance. Now I have a question for you, Is grahamsea still around? If not, were can I find his signals? and Thanks WAV-USA

Arggh, not your fault. That's big IF! ;) It seems his account was hacked. I emailed him yesterday but got a pretty obvious spammy auto-reply. I do have them but cannot redistribute without permission, though I will if I get the clear signal. I had my own scripted signals in the pipeline meant for the DLS but some idiocy on N3V's part caused me to cancel that project.

Ah thanks for clearing that up, Hopefully He comes back, if not, I'll just use the seniorchief ones on the DLS. But, there is a payware aspect of the route aswell. the KVRR had 2 class D16sb, bought from the PRR. I Hope stevelerro will let me reskin his modle and host it on his site or mabey my own. Now, before I leave for the night, I need some on to spill there guts on DENHOLM. Lol, I can't seem to find any information on it. Every time I drive by it all I see are 2 big stone pillars. I heard once it had at least 15 tracks!!

Just be aware that some of Seniorchief's signals have insane poly counts. As in, 100k or more! PER SIGNAL! And no LOD unless he's updating things. The ones with the small lower head are ok polygon-wise, but only because they're old, and look like junk; the newer stuff, at least the Amtrak signals, are positively insane and even PEV's MeshViewer can't count the polys, never mind the damage it does to the game. I'd wait this one out if I were you. I haven't decided if I'd redo the scripting but I'd be willing to share my meshes eventually since that work has partially been done.

Quick look in GoogleEarth certainly shows a wide enough grading for 15 tracks. Looks like they kept the outermost and middle tracks and left vast plains between...

I too used SeniorChief's PRR position lights, but after a close look realized they had a lot of overlapping polys and the kept throwing errors in jetlog for some reason (looking for textures that according to PEVs mesh viewer, it didn't use.) So I swapped back to the smaller NEC CPLs... Since the PRR is an "AI" mainline in my route, I've been thinking of cloning the built in NEC signals and changing all the coronas to yellow...

Back