Anyone want anything Irish???

D'OH! I am an idiot! Yes, SEVEN routes on the DLS if I had bothered to look. Can't wait to give those a try. Thank you sir!

D'OH! I am an idiot! Yes, SEVEN routes on the DLS if I had bothered to look. Can't wait to give those a try. Thank you sir!

I think I uploaded them in 2015-2016? The 2000 and 2004 routes have these eyesore hotels and thats the only thing I don't like about them. At the moment I'm also working on extending the route up to Dublin and across to Waterford but scenery around Dublin and the Wicklow Mountains is huge so it might be some time till its updated and maybe I'll throw in a few sessions, I hope you enjoy it all the same.

Last edited:
Thanks! yes, I got overambitious and queued up 1935, 1963, and 2008 hoping the number of changes would not create a week's worth of downloads, but not running an FCT at the moment, and another route I hoped would finish last night is barely making progress this morning at 376 BYTES/sec. I might have maxed my limit for now...

Belated thanks to FiachraIR for creating and uploading the CIE Park Royal stock, which I just spotted on the DLS. Great inspiration to attempt another Irish project, be it model or prototype.

Edit: Slight postscript. Constructive feedback - having downloaded and placed stock on a layout, just wondered why the windows are blacked out? Looks a bit... odd. Not expecting a passenger view but would have been nice to see an interior and if that not possible I would still rather have transparent windows!

Last edited:
Belated thanks to FiachraIR for creating and uploading the CIE Park Royal stock, which I just spotted on the DLS. Great inspiration to attempt another Irish project, be it model or prototype.

Edit: Slight postscript. Constructive feedback - having downloaded and placed stock on a layout, just wondered why the windows are blacked out? Looks a bit... odd. Not expecting a passenger view but would have been nice to see an interior and if that not possible I would still rather have transparent windows!

Thanks Vern, The Park Royals really are quite uniquely Irish!
To answer your question regards the windows, they were went to be transparent but there were problems with the interior. The mesh nodes were acting up, sounds like a simple fix but it wasn't and the only option was to redo the entire mesh. I wasn't going to do this so I blacked out the windows.

To be honest, I'm wraping up trainz. It feels like work more than a hobby that I enjoy. So I'm very hastedly finishing up all the models I've created that were never finished and slowly uploading them to the DLS. The most recent is the 101 and 2 Class steam engines but they will not have multiple liveries or auto-numbering and will have the very simple GSR livery. More models are on the way.

Sad to hear but understood. It has gotten very complex. But if it isn't fun, then it is not worth the frustration. Thank you for all of your creations, they are all wonderful!

To be honest, I'm wrapping up trainz. It feels like work more than a hobby that I enjoy.

I have to agree. With constant 'updates' that break things and N3V shifting the goalposts all the time it really has become a hiding to nothing trying to keep up with Trainz. It will be sad to see you go after the contributions to the Irish scene that you've made.

Thank you everyone! I wasn't expecting so many responses! So thank you all. I really did enjoy trainz beforehand, modeling and route building were especially peaceful at times. But as I said, it feels like work more than anything now.

But regardless I want to put up all the models I've made onto the DLS, they'll be very simple with no special scripts and will only have one livery per model but will be uv mapped in a way to allow the possibility for other liveries (eg: GSWR livery) to be done by someone else. Likewise if anyone wants to upgrade any of my models to the latest version of trainz, email me at fiachrair@yahoo.ie and I'll send you the necessary files to do it yourself provided it stays on the DLS and not distributed for payware.

My route will also be upladed afterwards in a simplistic form for someone to finish if they wanted to.

It really has been great and the Trainz community has also been fantastic with countless advice and support, so Thank you!

I'll add another thank you for your generosity in putting your assets up on the DLS and allowing reskins. It will help preserve what you have created for the community and save people the frustrations of missing assets. Well done, sir!

Back