Import taxes for Trainz 10th aniversary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N33

Train Photographer
Greetings,

From what i have been able to gather, there is an import tax for shipping Trainz 10th aniversary.

Seeing as though I live in the UK, does anyone have a vague idea on how much it would be?

Regards

Johan

Greetings,

From what i have been able to gather, there is an import tax for shipping Trainz 10th aniversary.

Seeing as though I live in the UK, does anyone have a vague idea on how much it would be?

Regards

Johan

Most likely 23.7% on top of the stated price. (20% VAT and 3.70% duty usually).

Plus the Royal Mail usually like to charge a £12 handling fee if the VAT+duty wasn't pre-paid by the sending company.

Given the $10 shipping fee, it comes out to a total of $79.95 pre-tax, so £52 pre tax, so I'd guess it'll be £12 tax and another £12 for royal mail handling fee, or a total of about £76

But I could be wrong

I thought the RM handling fee was £8.00, unless of course it's gone up again? Quite ridiculous that they charge so much and it's the same whether you import a $20 DVD/Blu-ray or an item costing much more. Would be better if the Customs just invoiced you directly and released the item on receipt of payment!

The limit also went down recently from £18 to £15, despite having been at the former value for years and not adjusted for inflation, as the wonderful Coalition government here in the UK get desperate to squeeze yet more drops out of the pips. (Apologies for political rant).

Wow, talk about stifling commerce through ridiculous taxation.

Can't have some foreigner making a profit.

I guess politicians are the same in all countries.:(

Until an American makes a great train sim; I say more power to our 'Down Under' friends.

I've never paid any import tax when I've brought online! (parcel wise, not downloads).

I think they don't bother if it's under a certain size package. I've had DVD's from the U.S. that did not get taxed before, that was over the £18 price.

Regards.
CaptEngland.

I've never paid any import tax when I've brought online! (parcel wise, not downloads).

I think they don't bother if it's under a certain size package. I've had DVD's from the U.S. that did not get taxed before, that was over the £18 price.

Regards.
CaptEngland.

As a side note:

Sometimes what is sent is not what arrives.

Once, back when I was in the Air Force on a temporary duty assignment to Holland I mailed a few magazines back to myself in the States.

Not everything in the package was present when it arrived; but there was a friendly sticker on it stating something along the lines of (I don't remember the exact words) "some contents were damaged during shipping".

But it was a simple envelope package with a few magazines in it, yet 2 of those magazines did not make it. Upon close examination it appeared the contents had been opened.

Why do Governments play these stupid games with us?

If you are going to take something from me at least come out and say so; at least I may try to vote you out of office then.

As a side note:

Sometimes what is sent is not what arrives.

Once, back when I was in the Air Force on a temporary duty assignment to Holland I mailed a few magazines back to myself in the States.

Not everything in the package was present when it arrived; but there was a friendly sticker on it stating something along the lines of (I don't remember the exact words) "some contents were damaged during shipping".

But it was a simple envelope package with a few magazines in it, yet 2 of those magazines did not make it. Upon close examination it appeared the contents had been opened.

Why do Governments play these stupid games with us?

If you are going to take something from me at least come out and say so; at least I may try to vote you out of office then.
Yeah governments, always swiping second hand magazines.

Or maybe the offered explanation was actually the real one?

I've subscribed to Playboy Magazine for years issues of which seem to magically disappear on occasion. Whats interesting is its always the isues with a female celebrity as the centerfold. Methinks Post Office employees occasionally enjoy my subscription, lol.

Ben

I find it hard to believe there isn't a website somewhere with this tax calculator on it!:D

Google shows several.

Just one example....

http://www.vatcalculator.co.uk/

Just VAT, doesn't include import duty, which is important to remember...

That's just the cost of sending parcels (for a business) using first class mail, domestically, and really has no bearing on the costs of receiving an internationally shipped package.

Wow. That much taxation is insane. When I buy boxed sets of Trainz, all I have to pay extra is a bank "fee" to convert AU dollars to US dollars. What I can't figure out is why should they care as it's only 1's and 0's.

Bill

Wow. That much taxation is insane. When I buy boxed sets of Trainz, all I have to pay extra is a bank "fee" to convert AU dollars to US dollars. What I can't figure out is why should they care as it's only 1's and 0's.

Bill

So what you're saying is 'Hey, look at me, I evaded paying my 6.5% use fee that Ohio charges and I'm supposed to declare/pay with my annual tax return'?

So what you're saying is 'Hey, look at me, I evaded paying my 6.5% use fee that Ohio charges and I'm supposed to declare/pay with my annual tax return'?

There is NO use fee (in Ohio and a lot of states) when you buy online. Why do you think California citizens got so steamed up when Amazon decided to charge the "use fee"? If you're paying a 'use fee' then your simply making a donation to the state then.

Bill

It's even better that that, Bill. The AUD is about the same as a USD today!
Well that's the banks for you. They charge for everything even though there is not even any kind of human intervention whats-so-ever.

-----

Now for the questions regarding customs....

Most companies ship DDU, or Deliver Duty Unpaid. In many cases they ship EXW, or Ex-Works. Ex-Works means that everything is paid for by the customer, including the shipping costs as well as any import customs' fees, and local delivery costs. It is rare for DDP, or Deliver Duty Paid. You'd see the latter case if it's a warranty parts shipment to a customer, or an intra-company delivery.

I agree though the customs' fees can be horrendous. I used to work shipments to be 99% DDU or EXW so my old company wouldn't pay the shipping or customs' fees if could get away with it. At one point my old company, we brought back some old equipment from a closed foreign office. The import fees were $75,000 USD for the parts. This was on top of the actual shipping costs, which were not included.

John

Hi,

Since the OP was British I would go along with CaptEngland on this one.

I have never been made to pay duty on any DVD/CD purchases made outside the European Union. I use the internet quite a lot for purchases, and the only time I have been 'hit' for duty was on a large and heavy parcel.

Remember to declare it on your tax return if you digitally download TS2010 or TS12.

Cheerio John

I assume this was said tongue in cheek? If not - hands up all those people who have declared downloads to the taxman.:)

Cheers, John

I disagree with your disagreement. Note the following sentence in your link (it is the third sentence in section 5):

"Purchases that are properly exempt from sales tax are also exempt from the use tax."

The state of Ohio exempts anything bought over the Internet if that entity does NOT have a presence in the state of Ohio. Since N3V is in Australia, then purchases from that company are exempt from sales tax. And, if exempt from sales tax, then that provision I quoted takes effect.

That is why the state of California ordered Amazon to collect state sales tax. Amazon responded by removing their presence from California entirely - thus saving the residents paying sales tax.

I would be happy to debate this further - offline - except I have no interest in it any more.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back