is there an asset of a person holding a token ?

dangavel

As seen below, i'm looking for a US figure to use on single line NG routes , I've looked but cannot find any examples, i would happily commission a model of this and any other US 1920s -1950s models of US railway figures and other people of the era as there seems to be virtually none that I can find .... am I missing something ?
aphX4c5.jpg

Dunno. If memory serves me correctly there was a post about a Royal Mail travelling post office mailbag exchange apparatus -- similar in concept to the one Hornby introduced many decades ago.

Post_Office_TPO_Mail_Van_Set,_Hornby_Dublo_3400_2400_D1_(HDBoT_1959).jpg

imgres

imgres

I commented at the time that it might provide a template for a staff exchange, as in your picture above.

I've tried to find the thread; unsuccessful. Perhaps someone else can find it?

Last edited:
I did a similar search for a token exchange asset a few years ago for a project I was working on back then. I also drew a blank back then. I think that the asset Phil is referring to is an automatic exchanger, not human.

If it is any help (probably not but any excuse for a shameless plug) I did create a series of message popup icons for staff and token/ticket exchanges that can be found on the DLS.

I did a similar search for a token exchange asset a few years ago for a project I was working on back then. I also drew a blank back then. I think that the asset Phil is referring to is an automatic exchanger, not human.

If it is any help (probably not but any excuse for a shameless plug) I did create a series of message popup icons for staff and token/ticket exchanges that can be found on the DLS.
I don't even require a working exchange( tho that would be nice) just a figure holding the token, if I had the time I'd try to make a series of figures myself, but only so many hours in the day..... it's surprising that no one has ever made an example of this as we have a number of US single line routes that do not have signals as such and which relied on tokens , it's a strange omission

Much the same thing happened on minor Uk lines with minimal signalling with tokens/tickets/staff methods being in use so a such a figure with the same kind of pose would be just as useful there. As you say it's surprising no one has made such a figure.

Much the same thing happened on minor Uk lines with minimal signalling with tokens/tickets/staff methods being in use so a such a figure with the same kind of pose would be just as useful there. As you say it's surprising no one has made such a figure.
I think its indicative of how builders tend to concentrate on the rolling stock , track and often duplicate stuff that has already been made, the small things are then forgotten. if i ever complete my route i'm going to spend time to learn how to make clutter .All the items that are there in yards , sheds and track side but get overlooked . One thing with railway modelling was you could easily buy sets of plastic figures for almost any situation , whereas we have huge gaps . We have lost a quite a few of the 1920s and 1930s figures and vehicles that have been obsoleted by newer versions of the game and there weren't all that many in the first place. :-(

Perhaps you need to talk to Bob Sanders as not so long ago he made a good many workman figures for the 1920-1930s era for Uk railways. My own layout received a huge influx of workers after Bob uploaded his figure to the DLS and made things really come to life.

Cayden was looking for something similar plus logic to work some signals for his Canadian Rockies Route. I wonder if he ever found something like that and if he did it might be helpful.

Perhaps you need to talk to Bob Sanders as not so long ago he made a good many workman figures for the 1920-1930s era for Uk railways. My own layout received a huge influx of workers after Bob uploaded his figure to the DLS and made things really come to life.

Yes they are very good , I've used some of those where I can , I must investigate reskinning some of the existing figures if the originator allows it. However since I still have so much major stuff to do on my route it will have to wait for the moment.

If you have a suitable figure then creating a token as a separate item would be simpler than creating a figure holding a token. Then just adjust the height of the scenery object.

Cheerio John

If you have a suitable figure then creating a token as a separate item would be simpler than creating a figure holding a token. Then just adjust the height of the scenery object.

Cheerio John

That has occurred to me, but the correct prototypical hoop isn't available. :-(

Well I'm not Frank, I'm Norm but it looks quite nice IMHO. Might I suggest that you consider using something like elvenor's paint schemes, plaids, denim etc.? Also the arm in various positions, reaching up, out and down as well as similar figures reaching for the token from the engineer.

Thanks for all your work Ray, it is greatly appreciated by us all.

Many thanks, normhart - I just used Bob Sanders's painter to hold the token which is a scenery object and needs to be adjusted to suit whatever figure is used, preferably (in the UK) a signalman. There must be several available which are suitable in different parts of the world. In time I might make my own man holding it. And thanks for drawing my attention to elvenor's textures which I was not aware of.

Your comments are much appreciated.

Ray

Now that looks very useful indeed Ray. One of the small essential things that's been missing from Trainz for far too long.

Many thanks, normhart - I just used Bob Sanders's painter to hold the token which is a scenery object and needs to be adjusted to suit whatever figure is used, preferably (in the UK) a signalman. There must be several available which are suitable in different parts of the world. In time I might make my own man holding it. And thanks for drawing my attention to elvenor's textures which I was not aware of.

Your comments are much appreciated.

Ray

Looks very promising Ray, many thanks for doing this . if you could also make the token as an individual item as well it could then be placed with other figures. I have pics of a man holding a token whilst waiting on the platform etc.

The initial model was already made as an individual item, so it's ready - other than being revised to make sure it can be "rolled". I can also make the man with token suitable for other locations such as on the platform of a signal box.

Ray

Just discovered that "rolling" is not the answer - what I need is for it to be rotated vertically ie. up and down to suit the position of the holder. Otherwise it is in a fixed position. Is this possible using GMax, please? If not, I may have to make the token in a choice of maybe three position - held horizontally and pointing up and down at an angle.

Last edited:
Back