Changing Cars

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to change the standard cars. I've looked at Youtube videos and read this

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/HowTo/Add_Carz_Traffic_to_a_Route

and nothing is helping. I'm using Trainz 2019 now and the config.text files do not have any of the car01 etc.

If someone could send me an easy step by step guide together with any software links I might need, I would be really grateful.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Harry

Last edited:
The cars are not in the route's config. They are in the config. of the region that you are using for your route.

Thank you

Thank you for your help but I'm sorry as I still dont know what I need to do.

The only file I can open is the config.text file so how do I make the changes to my route????

My route is...

kind "map"
category-era "1800s"
category-region "00"

thumbnails
{
}

preview
{
image "splash.jpg"
}
category-class "YM"
region <kuid:-25:926>
description "Detailed UK Route"
water <kuid:-1:6353>
kuid <kuid:808067:100663>
username "HC 024"
workingscale 0
workingunits 1
trainz-build 4.6

world-origin
{
latitude 51,29,1
longitude 0,0,1
altitude 0
}

etc

Regards

Harry

Harry,

As Lewis said, you need to edit or clone and edit your region config.txt. There are some on the DLS too that you can install and use as a base. Look at the dependencies for your route, and the region and KUID number will be shown.

There are two parts to the region that you will need to edit.

One part is a list of "carz",

You add or change the cars listed.

car1 <some kuid>
car2 <some kuid>

and so on.

The other part is the Kuid-table.

In the Kuid-table, you need to add or update the Kuid to be the same as the ones you added or changed.

Here's an explanation about it and an example config.txt file for a region.

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/KIND_Region

Thank you

Hi John,

I understand all that the thing I'm having troble with is how do I find the region config.txt file?

Regards

Harry

The region will appear as an asset in the dependencies.

In Content Manager:

Search for your route.
Right-click on it.
Choose Dependencies

This will open another window...

You will see all the things you've placed on your route.

Sort by Type by clicking on it to put Type of assets in order.
Scroll until you find Region.

(If Type doesn't show, right click on the bar where name is and check it. You can then move the columns around too and put it where you want. I put Type first followed by other stuff such as name, etc.)

Example of a region. Showing the name plus the kuid from one of my installed routes.

Region <kuid:-1:78032> Default Region

You would clone this then edit the cars, kuids, change the name, etc.

When done, submit your clone.

Go into the route in Surveyor,
Choose Edit Route... from the menu (This is where you can change the region and put in a description.
Scroll through the regions until you find the one you want. In your case your own region you created.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your help but I'm sorry as I still dont know what I need to do.

The only file I can open is the config.text file so how do I make the changes to my route????

My route is...

kind "map"
category-era "1800s"
category-region "00"

thumbnails
{
}

preview
{
image "splash.jpg"
}
category-class "YM"
region <kuid:-25:926>
description "Detailed UK Route"
water <kuid:-1:6353>
kuid <kuid:808067:100663>
username "HC 024"
workingscale 0
workingunits 1
trainz-build 4.6

world-origin
{
latitude 51,29,1
longitude 0,0,1
altitude 0
}

etc

Regards

Harry
As you can see the region in your config file is <kuid:-25:926>. That is the asset you need to copy or edit.

As you can see the region in your config file is <kuid:-25:926>. That is the asset you need to copy or edit.

Please ignore the comments regarding the region. You do not want to edit the region, and in some cases the region cannot be edited. If you edit the region then you will not have the cars that you need if you change the region for the route.

You were correct with the original route file that you had open for editing. Simply insert the new lines anywhere other than between opening and closing braces. For example:

Code:
thumbnails
 {
 }

car0                                    <kuid2:447264:1145:1>
car1                                    <kuid2:447264:1146:1>
car2                                    <kuid2:447264:1147:1>
car3                                    <kuid2:447264:1148:1>
car4                                    <kuid2:447264:1149:1>
car5                                    <kuid2:447264:1150:1>

preview
 {
  image                                 "splash.jpg"
 }
or whichever carz you want for the route.

Clone

Hi John.

I think I'm neally there.

I clonded the file but where does the file go as there is still only 1 file called Region?

Regards

Harry

I clonded the file but where does the file go as there is still only 1 file called Region?

Don't try to change the region. Edit the route config.txt as you originally intended. Add the car? lines as indicated above.

You would only clone and edit the region if you wanted to change other settings that are not available in the route config.

It didnt work

Please ignore the comments regarding the region. You do not want to edit the region, and in some cases the region cannot be edited. If you edit the region then you will not have the cars that you need if you change the region for the route.

You were correct with the original route file that you had open for editing. Simply insert the new lines anywhere other than between opening and closing braces. For example:

Code:
thumbnails
 {
 }

car0                                    <kuid2:447264:1145:1>
car1                                    <kuid2:447264:1146:1>
car2                                    <kuid2:447264:1147:1>
car3                                    <kuid2:447264:1148:1>
car4                                    <kuid2:447264:1149:1>
car5                                    <kuid2:447264:1150:1>

preview
 {
  image                                 "splash.jpg"
 }
or whichever carz you want for the route.

I added this text to the config file and the ferrari did not show?

thumbnails
{
}
car0 <kuid:192605:29010>
car1 <kuid:192605:29010>
car2 <kuid:192605:29010>
car3 <kuid:192605:29010>
car4 <kuid:192605:29010>
car5 <kuid:192605:29010>

preview
{
image "splash.jpg"
}

Regards

Harry

I added this text to the config file and the ferrari did not show?
You only need to add each car once. The Ferrrari probably didn't show because it is not configured as a car.

You should start by ensuring that you can get a car to show in the route. You could use the example vehicles above to confirm this, or anything that appears in Content Manager as a built-in 'carz'.

Once you have proved that you can edit the route, then you can consider what other cars you want. If they are not correctly configured you can ask how to configure them. It's not complex, but is a quite different task than editing the route.

The other possibility is that you have cars disabled.

If you look at the two assets you will see one is a TYPE car and the other a TYPE track object. It needs to be a track object to show up in the region.

Now working :) however...

You only need to add each car once. The Ferrrari probably didn't show because it is not configured as a car.

You should start by ensuring that you can get a car to show in the route. You could use the example vehicles above to confirm this, or anything that appears in Content Manager as a built-in 'carz'.

Once you have proved that you can edit the route, then you can consider what other cars you want. If they are not correctly configured you can ask how to configure them. It's not complex, but is a quite different task than editing the route.

The other possibility is that you have cars disabled.

Hi, thanks for the support. Yes the other cars I've added are going arround the route now. However so are the basic cars. I can clone the Region file but how do I replace them?

Regards

Harry

Hi everyone,

If someone could send me an easy step by step guide together with any software links I might need, I would be really grateful. You can also email me at xx@y.com

Harry

I suggest you edit your post and take your email address out otherwise the bots will pick it up.

Cheerio John

I can clone the Region file but how do I replace them?

If you want to edit the region then you do the same thing - open the config.txt file for the region and remove the 'car?' lines. Then edit the route and change the route region to your clone.

Note that the Ferrari can be converted if you clone it then replace the config.txt with the text below, as adjusted. Then add your cloned item KUID to the 'car?' list in the route.

Code:
kuid                                    <insert the cloned item KUID here>
username                                "Carz F360 Ferrari Yellow"
kind                                    "scenery"
trainz-build                            3.5
mesh-table
{
  {
    mesh                                "f360 yellow.im"
    auto-create                         1
    position                            0,0,0.525
  }
}
light                                   1
trackside                               0.01
category-class                          "VL"
category-era                            "2000s"
category-region                         "AU"
description                             "F360 Ferrari Yellow
This was a free model from turbosquid.Model made by Psionic"
author                                  "Mikado_282"
license                                 "Freeware for Auran Trainz"
thumbnails
{
  {
    image                               "f360 yellow.texture"
    width                               240
    height                              180
  }
}
kuid-table
{
}

If you want to edit the region then you do the same thing - open the config.txt file for the region and remove the 'car?' lines. Then edit the route and change the route region to your clone.

Note that the Ferrari can be converted if you clone it then replace the config.txt with the text below, as adjusted. Then add your cloned item KUID to the 'car?' list in the route.

Code:
kuid                                    <insert the cloned item KUID here>
username                                "Carz F360 Ferrari Yellow"
kind                                    "scenery"
trainz-build                            3.5
mesh-table
{
  {
    mesh                                "f360 yellow.im"
    auto-create                         1
    position                            0,0,0.525
  }
}
light                                   1
trackside                               0.01
category-class                          "VL"
category-era                            "2000s"
category-region                         "AU"
description                             "F360 Ferrari Yellow
This was a free model from turbosquid.Model made by Psionic"
author                                  "Mikado_282"
license                                 "Freeware for Auran Trainz"
thumbnails
{
  {
    image                               "f360 yellow.texture"
    width                               240
    height                              180
  }
}
kuid-table
{
}

Thanks for your help. Ok I followed

Thanks for your help. I have now a new F360 "Carz F360 Ferrari Yellow" but the file is called “New Asset”, so sorry what do I do next. Do I save the file as "Carz F360 Ferrari Yellow" and if so what format and where do I save the file?

Regards Harry

:)

Thanks for your help. Ok I followed

Thanks for your help. I have now a new F360 "Carz F360 Ferrari Yellow" but the file is called “New Asset”, so sorry what do I do next. Do I save the file as "Carz F360 Ferrari Yellow" and if so what format and where do I save the file?

Regards Harry

Hello, I saved the file as "F360 "Carz F360 Ferrari Yellow" and then right clicked the file and clicked "Submit Eddit" and it worked. So thank you to everyone for all your help.

Regards Harry

Hello, I saved the file as "F360 "Carz F360 Ferrari Yellow" and then right clicked the file and clicked "Submit Eddit" and it worked.
That won't work. The file must be saved as 'config.txt'. When you submit the asset following the edits to the file the name that is displayed in Content Manager will change to whatever you have included in the config as the username - "Carz F360 Ferrari Yellow" in this example.

Back