Powered RR units: Do you know about horses and carriages by johnwhelan and elvenor?

JonMyrlennBailey

Have you even used them on your model trainz layout? I have. They operate just like engines in Driver and can run on track invisible in Driver.

Using my big imagination, this could be a big technical challenge on a physical scale model layout. How could the fake mechanical horses be made to trot like real-world animals? It would take some clever scale-model robotics indeed but they did it with full-size fake horses in the Westworld film and the human guests could even ride the mechanical ponies.

Yes, the moving horse-drawn wagons will give your layout a bit of a science-fiction futuristic feel. If there are any horse-drawn wagons on model train layouts these days, they are most likely static scenery.

You will get some typical railroad sounds with these wagons and buggies, however. The hissing of air brakes as if the horses are farting, perhaps?

Other non-train vehicular rail equipment for both train simulators and perhaps physical layouts are what Lionel Trains used to catalog as "powered units", which are not the rolling stock used to assemble RR trains.

What's next, cog railways for Trains and the scale-model hobby? Working San Francisco cable cars for our hobby?
These include RR inspection cars, trolleys, operating motorized handcars, MOW trucks, motorcars and speeders.

In model trainz, I have made the Amtrak MOW crane truck (an engine, actually a locomotive in disguise by superlaku) run over bare ground, as in a railroad yard, with invisible track and get onto and off of visible rails of the main line using an invisible junction and an invisible lever. This would take some clever ingenuity to make an operating physical scale-model MOW road-rail vehicle able to rail and derail the tracks.

Last edited:
Your mind will be blown when you find out there's been helicopters, ships and planes in the game doing exactly the same thing for 10+ years...

I tried to read and understand your paragraph ... I could not follow your point ... Exactly, what are you trying to get across to us ?

I made dozens of assets driveable, such as a drivable hay bale, and drivable signal, using cyberstorm's driveable superadaptor

The point is there is more than locos and rail cars in this sim that run on tracks. Some people reading here might have not been aware of that. It is that simple. Perhaps, I should have blogged this article. It was not intended for those knowing about such things already to follow. If you already know about the Trainz horses, MOW vehicles, Lionel handcars and speeders and such, please disregard this thread. I was in the mood to share valuable information with this community. No harm meant.

PS - A driveable hay bale might look cute but is it prototypical on a layout for the most serious hobbyists? Now an animation of a man loading a hale bale on the back of a truck by hand or even hay hooks might really be something.

Last edited:
Things that you may discover are probably not new here...

For example, there's a fully interactive, working layout that covers the whole San Fransisco area. The cable car network is included.

It does has a defined topic and may be useful to new users. If you know about the contents, just ignore it.
"Do you know about horses and carriages by johnwhelan and elvenor ?" ... I too could start vague thread: "Do you know that there are planes, and cars, and that there are now actual driveable RR trains, in Trainz ?" Not much of a point, and lacking almost all important "valuable information" to the Community, on any of the subjects

Last edited:
They are all based on elvenor's work. I may have scaled one or two and done the odd reskin. We could probably do with a few more animated horses made in Blender?

Cheerio John

"Do you know about horses and carriages by johnwhelan and elvenor ?" ... I too could start vague thread: "Do you know that there are planes, and cars, and that there are now actual driveable RR trains, in Trainz ?" Not much of a point, and lacking almost all important "valuable information" to the Community, on any of the subjects

Seeing as it's a railway simulator, I agree that telling people that you can run trains would be redundant. But the OP didn't do that, so I can't see how that helps your argument.

Seeing as it's a railway simulator, I agree that telling people that you can run trains would be redundant. But the OP didn't do that, so I can't see how that helps your argument.

But horses were used on the railways for shunting and the earliest ones were horse powered.

Cheerio John

Back