TRS19 Service Pack 4 Now Live

Merging routes with locked layers will cause an immediate CTD.

I was able to repro this one, the hard way, a couple times. This doesn't matter if this is the main route or the merge candidate.

If there are separate layers, they can be combined and moved in the merge-route interface as if there's nothing wrong, but as soon as the merging process takes place it's an instant CTD.

After running a test merge between two test-routes showed everything worked fine, I then checked the differences. Outside of the size, which really wasn't a lot, the main difference was the layers being locked. After unlocking those layers, everything worked fine.

Going forward. the route-merging process should be to check layers and unlock them. In reality, there should be a warning box on the merge-route interface with the interface locked to not allow the merging to take place unless the layers on the route(s) have been unlocked first.

Merging routes with locked layers will cause an immediate CTD.

I was able to repro this one, the hard way, a couple times. This doesn't matter if this is the main route or the merge candidate.

If there are separate layers, they can be combined and moved in the merge-route interface as if there's nothing wrong, but as soon as the merging process takes place it's an instant CTD.

After running a test merge between two test-routes showed everything worked fine, I then checked the differences. Outside of the size, which really wasn't a lot, the main difference was the layers being locked. After unlocking those layers, everything worked fine.

Going forward. the route-merging process should be to check layers and unlock them. In reality, there should be a warning box on the merge-route interface with the interface locked to not allow the merging to take place unless the layers on the route(s) have been unlocked first.

Bit of a theme potentially emerging with locked layers preventing things from happening.

OMG!!! I finally was able to get Trainz to open after some work but now have lost all my created content, all purchased content, all downloaded content from DLS and all my modified routes.
Isn't this a fun simulation to play (sic)?
I moved all my content from my Local and library files over to the new trainz build but they have not showed up in the Content Manager.
I have run a database rebuild but with no luck.
Sorry but a game that was meant to enjoy and relax with shouldn't mean having to get hair replacements from yanked out scalp and dental work from gritting teeth.
My experience with almost every update has been nothing but bad and ALWAYS involved redownloading hundreds of assets and starting over with designing routes and sessions.
I've had it with this BS!
Claude

Last edited:
OMG!!! I finally was able to get Trainz to open after some work but now have lost all my created content, all purchased content, all downloaded content from DLS and all my modified routes.
Isn't this a fun simulation to play (sic)?
I moved all my content from my Local and library files over to the new trainz build but they have not showed up in the Content Manager.
I have run a database rebuild but with no luck.
Sorry but a game that was meant to enjoy and relax with shouldn't mean having to get hair replacements from yanked out scalp and dental work from gritting teeth.
My experience with almost every update has been nothing but bad and ALWAYS involved redownloading hundreds of assets and starting over with designing routes and sessions.
I've had it with this BS!
Claude

Hi Claude,

There was no need to do that. All you had to do was an in-place upgrade after you backed up your content prior.

Since the database is fresh and you copied over your content into it. You definitely need to run an EDR to load up the content. Press CTRL while selecting Repair Database from the developer menu on the Launcher.

You are also going to have to reinstall all your DLC.

I may go for a clean install, see if that helps (I already uninstalled TRS19 along with all my downloaded bits and the projects I was working on). But it is very disappointing that every service pack/patch seems to actually destabilise the game more. It's no joke especially for route builders who can potentially see weeks or even months of work go to the wall. Certainly not going to encourage me to renew my FCT in six weeks time, or take a punt at the next full retail version.

There should definitely be a rollback o a previous edition.

And (albeit I haven't read all the notes) I bet they didn't even fix the vanishing consists when reloading a session to edit it...

Last edited:
I've managed to get back to more or less the same as my SP3 install in SP4.

Prior to doing a clean install I cut and pasted my userdata folder to somewhere safe and then clean installed SP4 from the full download installer. I then rebooted in to safe mode to check everything and do a database rebuild. Back in normal mode I then copied and pasted my local folder back in to the userdata folder. After much d/loading of missing assets I am now back up and running as normal. All sussed out by myself - no thanks to N3V, it was all a right palava!

Now to deal with the inevitable N3V update oversights and f*%k ups!

Rob.

I've noticed that the interface (bottom of screen) is not showing in a session. Pressing F5 twice does bring it up. Is this a feature or an oops?

Could someone please supply the support page link to report bugs in this particular build.. TRS2019 Platinum build 114800. Thanks

I've noticed that the interface (bottom of screen) is not showing in a session. Pressing F5 twice does bring it up. Is this a feature or an oops?

Pressing F5 in Driver has always hidden/revealed the Trainz interface (top with the icons) and bottom (with the track diagram and controls). No change in its operation in SP4.

What is perhaps the most annoying thing is small very important assets that are a dependency for several other assets, - some of which are on the DLS and are no part of any DLC, - that have been changed from freeware to payware. Presently up to my third EDBR and still very much engaged in fixing broken assets.

Need I be worried about anything from this, during the finalisation part?

iRhKQHh.png

... some of which are on the DLS and are no part of any DLC, - that have been changed from freeware to payware.

N3V now have a policy of packaging ALL DLC asset dependencies (i.e. those assets that are on the DLS) into every DLC package. I presume that this makes it easier for those who download a DLC package to get all the assets in one download at the maximum possible speed without having to access the DLS, especially if they do not have an FCT. This issue has been "thrashed out" in these forums before (and probably will be again - endlessly) but it makes perfect sense to me. Economically, the DLS is a "cost asset" to N3V while the DLC is an "income asset". Those assets that are on the DLS and also in a DLC package are labelled as "Packaged" in CM and it in no way, AFAIK, prevents users who do not have the DLC package from accessing them through the DLS. I (again) presume that if you have installed one of these "shared" DLS assets from the DLS then it will be shown by CM as "Installed from DLS". There are a few of my assets that I have uploaded to the DLS (and are still available of the DLS as freeware) that are part of a DLC package and appear in my CM as "Packaged".

I also have a large number of assets labelled by CM as "Built-in, Payware" where they form part of a DLC package that came free as part of TRS19 - for example "Kickstarter Country" and "Content Samples #1".

My thoughts.

Hi Claude,

There was no need to do that. All you had to do was an in-place upgrade after you backed up your content prior.

Since the database is fresh and you copied over your content into it. You definitely need to run an EDR to load up the content. Press CTRL while selecting Repair Database from the developer menu on the Launcher.

You are also going to have to reinstall all your DLC.

Uh, no.
That didn't work when I first allowed the patch into Trainz.
The game would not even start up.
Sent a ticket to NV3 and still have not heard from them.
I re-installed Trainz with SP3 and then upgraded to SP4.
This worked but, as I ranted, all my content and payware was gone.
Spent hours manually transferring from a backed-up SP3 version on a different drive my back-up files, local and library files, all without success.
Now wouldn't an EDR reset all modified assets back to originals? I have thousands of modified assets for my own use that I would hate to see disappear.
And like I said, this is not the first time this has happened.
Trainz is becoming quite, at least for me, a pain.

After your re-install did you point to your "old" (good) user data folder? If not, the reinstalled app created a new empty data folder on initial startup, that's why everything is gone. So just point this current new install to your previous data folder.

This update has been an almost complete disaster for me. A lot of content that I have made my own sessions for do not work properly, or else do not load at all with a hang when the Run Session is selected. I tried some of the routes and sessions that are built in. Season Town works for one session I tried. Various sessions in C&O Hinton Division have buildings scattered on some tracks. C&O Hinton Division - Avis Yard Work shows a derailment immediately on loading or there is a terrible white noise sound. Kickstarter Country - Fossil Fuels shows me to take actions and then doesn't recognize they are done. Milwaukee Road Avery-Drexel sessions show a derailment immediately on loading. Some of my sessions I made with a variety of trains running to a schedule do not have the schedule. Argh! I don't have the energy to check out every route and session.

I have run several database rebuilds.

Is there a way to remove this update and go back?

N3V now have a policy of packaging ALL DLC asset dependencies (i.e. those assets that are on the DLS) into every DLC package. I presume that this makes it easier for those who download a DLC package to get all the assets in one download at the maximum possible speed without having to access the DLS, especially if they do not have an FCT. This issue has been "thrashed out" in these forums before (and probably will be again - endlessly) but it makes perfect sense to me. Economically, the DLS is a "cost asset" to N3V while the DLC is an "income asset". Those assets that are on the DLS and also in a DLC package are labelled as "Packaged" in CM and it in no way, AFAIK, prevents users who do not have the DLC package from accessing them through the DLS. I (again) presume that if you have installed one of these "shared" DLS assets from the DLS then it will be shown by CM as "Installed from DLS". There are a few of my assets that I have uploaded to the DLS (and are still available of the DLS as freeware) that are part of a DLC package and appear in my CM as "Packaged".

I also have a large number of assets labelled by CM as "Built-in, Payware" where they form part of a DLC package that came free as part of TRS19 - for example "Kickstarter Country" and "Content Samples #1".

My thoughts.

Yes I do understand that and how the new 'package' system works. What I was talking about is assets that have become payware and have no readily accessible equivalent on the DLS. There are still some of these that are lingering on in DLC routes and while I can generally manage to figure out a fix or some kind of work around I'm sure that anyone who is new to Trainz is going to wonder what on earth they've struck.

Ok, just a few questions then.

What I was talking about is assets that have become payware and have no readily accessible equivalent on the DLS.

Do you mean assets that were originally freeware on the DLS and are now exclusively payware? If so could you provide an example or two?

Do you mean assets that were only ever supplied in a DLC package as payware and are not on the DLS? In which case I would assume that the creator of the asset(s) has probably insisted on that.

Back