Show your models!

My (Current) Steam Fleet

I have 12 steamers now, but this pic features 10.
From left to right:
1. Pocher Virginia And Truckee 4-4-0 "Genoa"
2. Play-Art Deutsche Bundesbahn 2-6-0
3. Tyco Baltimore And Ohio Royal Blue 2-8-0 #638
4. IHC Pere Marquette 2-8-0 #921
5. IHC Nickel Plate Road 2-8-0 #911
6. Mantua Santa Fe 2-8-2 #5322
7. Bachmann Pere Marquette 2-8-4 #1225
8. Bachmann Nickel Plate Road 2-8-4 #765
9. Bachmann Southern Pacific 4-8-4 #4446
10. Rivarossi Santa Fe 2-8-8-2 #2197

09587949474c3f21273b2f345c430f32.jpg

Last edited:
I've recently acquired this post-war Lionel Hudson 2046 from 1950 from a relative, along with the rest of the set which has multiple freight cars, track, and a transformer. It had all been packed away in the basement of my great grandparents' house for thirty years until recently when I was able to dig them back out. After a little cleaning and lubrication they run about as good as when they were new. There is also another set with two Alco 2023 diesels and three streamline passenger cars from 1951, which also run very well and are in good condition.
19730119085_bc2a1ae4dd_b.jpg

I recently acquired some goods wagons for my model railway. There's two Tri-ang vans, one Tri-ang open wagon, one 1980s Hornby Railways 14T tanker in Esso livery, and one of the ubiquitous Tri-ang brake vans. They are being hauled by my Hornby 3F tank locomotive, which I recently worked on and got it running spectacularly in forward and reverse - and to think it wasn't running backwards well when I bought her for $40 last year!

The goods wagons were acquired in a trade with a gentleman in the United States.

going_down_the_branch_by_captainkman-d93f343.jpg

Kieran.

Hi, Chris,

I'm glad you like them! I have certainly been having a lot of fun with them - I think shunting is great fun and I now have some goods wagons to shunt with!

I will soon be acquiring two more open wagons and one more van - though I'll have to make up a roof for it in much the same style as that on the green van.

My collection is (slowly) expanding!

Kieran.

My collection keeps growing! :O

We have here:

1. Hornby Railways Caledonian Single in LMS livery

2. Tri-ang L1 in BR Brunswick Green

3. Tri-ang B12 re-painted into LNER Apple Green

I'll probably add the proper lining and 'LNER' lettering to the green B12, to finish the model off, in honour of the previous owner.

3_new_locomotives__by_captainkman-d965d18.jpg

Oh, and the two Tri-ang locomotives were free! (well, they are on loan until the Club decides what to do with them and the rest of a large, recently-donated collection)

I paid $80 for the Single, though, which I think was a mistake....

Kieran.

Last edited:
Say, Kieran. What would you say is the best brand for British stock? Just looking for a start for my collection (when / if i get one).

If you can find a good-looking Hornby model with good reviews, and no problems with picking up power and the like, I'd say go for it. The Bachmann Branch Line range is more expensive but the quality is very high. Someone at the Club bought a Hornby version of a model (Midland Compound), found that it didn't pick up well, sold it and bought the Bachmann one.

Hornby and Bachmann are really the two choices for current, Ready-to-Run models. There are older brands like Tri-ang, Mainline Models and the like, but I'd stay clear of them unless you know what you're doing or know someone who knows what they're doing - I know someone with spare Tri-ang parts and who can machine wheels to get the flanges down to an acceptable size for modern track.

My best-running locomotive is a Hornby 3F 'Jinty'. I bought it second-hand for $40 and a bit of a clean, as well as checking the quartering of the wheels, got it running spectacularly. I don't have any Bachmann stock yet, except for a MK1 coach.

So, in summary, you've got two pretty good choices; just buy what you can afford. :D
(for me, it's next-to-nothing, and people keep giving me trains. :hehe:)

Kieran.

Back