Content creation during a pandemic.

The other side of the world and we have the same guidelines, local grocery is open to seniors only from 8-9 AM. I'm staying in my house except for Dr.s appointments (COPD, bad heart, lung cancer) and the quick sortie for groceries, still no TP on the shelves but I've got a month's worth on hand. What concerns me is what kind of world will be left once 1 or 2% of the population has died, mostly elderly? Better or worse? Kinder or meaner?

I don't think it will change, we will still have politicians.

Norm, you mention your doctor. In OZ most doctor have reverted to phone contact for all but the most serious conditions. I don't blame them.

Peter

We (my partner and I) just did our regular Thursday evening (local time) exercise class via Zoom video meeting software. Because we had to improvise due to lack of equipment and they had to change the exercises to suit, it was actually a harder workout than being at the actual gym.

So much for using the virus as an excuse:'(

I'm using Zoom for my doctor's appointments now, only because they forced me to :hehe:

Zoom is great. I had some piano lessons that way with someone located in Belgium. Since I'm a member of his Patreon group, we have a group meeting with up to 6 people once a month. These are great 2 hour sessions.

I have a neurology appointment coming up late in April. I may suggest that with the office rather than traveling to the clinic and get infected.

My harmonica group is trying a meeting via zoom next week, it will be intereasting to see how it goes, and it's something social to look forward to.

With regard to content creation, I've got plenty of projects in hand but I don't find working on the PC very stimulating at the moment. The gardenning is a far more attractive proposition while the weather is this fine.

Chris.

My harmonica group is trying a meeting via zoom next week, it will be intereasting to see how it goes, and it's something social to look forward to.

With regard to content creation, I've got plenty of projects in hand but I don't find working on the PC very stimulating at the moment. The gardenning is a far more attractive proposition while the weather is this fine.

Chris.

Weathers good here so I've been painting outside. Our neighbours have set up a Whatsapp chat to exchange information about our activities even though they are just across the road. Practicing social distancing. :)

Most of our chats revolve around pictures of what we are drinking at the time or cute pictures of pets. :hehe:

Weathers good here as well, got plenty to occupy myself with, banishing the weeds now appearing in the backyard, practising my assorted musical instruments, Guitar, mandolin and 5 string Banjo and I'm a Radio Ham as well and of course there is Trainz. Gave up piano playing when I was 13 got as far as Grade 2, took up Guitar instead. If that isn't enough I can stream stuff from Amazon Prime and such like.
Round here the police are stopping people to check they are making an essential trip out or not!
All my local family members are in at risk groups so have to stay well away so just as well I've got plenty to do!

I suspect after this is over, which could take a long time, nothing is going to be quite the same.

Restrictions in the UK seem to be similar to NZ although we, in Oz, are not quite there yet. Those who congregated at Bondi Beach (in Sydney) last weekend might be dismayed to discover that Bondi, Tamarama Beach, and surrounds are the number one hot spot for infections in New South Wales. So, those who have been saying "Oh its only an oldies problem and doesn't concern me" might have to rethink their approach.

I'm going to adopt John Citron's approach and become a hermit although I'm more worried about my daughters health than mine.

Our problem is mostly tourists disembarking from cruise ships and not being checked. Too much of that for my liking.

I saw that Boris is infected. That might get some attention in the UK.

Restrictions in the UK seem to be similar to NZ although we, in Oz, are not quite there yet. Those who congregated at Bondi Beach (in Sydney) last weekend might be dismayed to discover that Bondi, Tamarama Beach, and surrounds are the number one hot spot for infections in New South Wales. So, those who have been saying "Oh its only an oldies problem and doesn't concern me" might have to rethink their approach.

I'm going to adopt John Citron's approach and become a hermit although I'm more worried about my daughters health than mine.

Our problem is mostly tourists disembarking from cruise ships and not being checked. Too much of that for my liking.

I saw that Boris is infected. That might get some attention in the UK.

The same as what occurred at Bondi Beach has now hit Florida. The spring break brats have now most likely carried the infection elsewhere in the US. They after all so needed their spring break vacation and the Florida's governor did nothing to enforce a stay at home policy and let the tourists come in. In the end we now all pay for it.

Meanwhile the internet is doing a roaring trade. Me thinks there are a lot more posts even on this site these days, but then when you have to stay home, you have to play, or build, more Trainz :hehe:

chrisaw
"My harmonica group is trying a meeting via zoom next week, it will be intereasting to see how it goes, and it's something social to look forward to."

Do you know any John Mayall tunes ?

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me that businesses start rolling again by then, at least in areas not close to the bigger, mismanaged cities.

With regard to content creation, I've got plenty of projects in hand but I don't find working on the PC very stimulating at the moment.

Chris.

Picking up on this comment because I feel the same when it comes to content creation, but I don’t know why.

I have all the time in the world now to devote to the hobby and I promised another Trainzer that I would create a series of trees for him. But every morning when I sit down to start working on it, I just cannot find the “energy” to proceed. I allow myself to get distracted by another computer game, a Netflix series, a cat video on YouTube, or just the endless TV news about COVID-19. I don’t know how to explain or break this strange lethargic cycle and I’m feeling more guilty about it with every passing day.

It wouldn't surprise me that businesses start rolling again by then, at least in areas not close to the bigger, mismanaged cities.

I'm wondering if corporations are going to realize they don't need all the mega real estate with all the extra expenses and other liabilities associated with these buildings. As a former IT support person, I saw this work at home trend starting a decade ago. The problem back then was the lack of trust by management, and it was only allowed for a mere handful of trusted employees, and then only for those that needed it unless they were in remote services or sales.

With this push to offsite operations, this maybe the push into that direction permanently, and the only companies that will need an actual work-site are those that are in manufacturing. If you think about it, with SAAS, cloud-based storage, and virtual desktops, there is no longer a need for a centralized location.

I'm wondering if corporations are going to realize they don't need all the mega real estate with all the extra expenses and other liabilities associated with these buildings.

You are correct but those big buildings located in prime locations at expensive addresses (5th Avenue, New York: Collins St, Melbourne: Pitt St, Sydney - to give a few examples) give both prestige and a sense of wealth and success that is simply not found in a Facebook or Twitter account.

You can never judge a company or organisation by its online presence or the number of "likes" its posts get. Just as the physical edifice at the swank city address tells you nothing about the honesty, integrity and competence of those who dwell inside (Lehman Bros, AIG, etc) but at least you have a chance of knowing who you are dealing with unlike those behind URLs and IPs.

My thoughts.

Back