Alert!!! Problems with Fences Software

Robertbc6

Hi All,

I just wanted to alert you to possible problems with the Fences software from Stardock, especially if you have an Alienware or Dell computer. I was using TANE SP3, and suddenly the program insisted that I run Rebuild Database over and over, and then the program went CTD. I thought I'd try TS2019, and then TANE original, and then TMR17, and then TS12 (49922), and they all did the same thing!! All my other programs were running fine. I was just getting ready to throw a tantrum at N3V. Then I thought - I wonder if Fences could be the culprit. I uninstalled Fences, and all the Trainz programs immediately ran fine! I started looking on the web for another icon grouping program, and I viewed a video from a woman that said she loved Fences, but she had to uninstall it, because she had too many problems with it interfering with programs on her Alienware computer (don't think it was Trainz)! Talk about coincidence! Anyway, just an alert. I don't want anyone else to go through what i just did.

Bob Morrison

An interesting report (I don't have the Fences software) but this thread really belongs in the Parts & Labour forum.

Edit (by moderator):
Topic moved there.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you said Fences, I immediately looked for a KUID!

What exactly does this do? I've heard of it before and I've used the various desktop plug-ins by Star Dock in the past.

It's a outdated software that just replaces folders, shocked Stardock hasn't died off yet which is surprising, as OP shows here, people still pay them money for their outdated software... $10 for that? Yikes. May I suggest a free alternative and plead you not give Stardock anymore money? Almost everything they offer in 2019, is either open source free elsewhere, or already default into Windows. Man, I haven't heard the name Stardock since the early 2000s. When every kid wanted a cool, hip desktop that animates.

http://mynimi.net/Projects/Nimi-Places/

Hi All,

Just a little info here. "Fences" is program that you use to group icons, so you can reduce clutter on your desktop. You could have a music group which might have the icons for all of your music programs. If you were not using any of your music programs at the time, there will just be a bar (Fence) with a label of "music". If you clicked on the label, a box would open with all of the icons of your music programs. I had a bar (Fence) labeled "Trainz", which gave me access to all of my Trainz programs. Unfortunately, that Fence caused interference between all of the Trainz programs. (Don't know why.) But, uninstalling Fences cured all of the problems.

Bob Morrison

@Kilrbe3,

I noticed you mentioned "nimi-places". Have you used that software? Would you recommend it? That's what the woman I mentioned in my original post recommended.

Bob Morrison

Hi All,

Just a little info here. "Fences" is program that you use to group icons, so you can reduce clutter on your desktop. You could have a music group which might have the icons for all of your music programs. If you were not using any of your music programs at the time, there will just be a bar (Fence) with a label of "music". If you clicked on the label, a box would open with all of the icons of your music programs. I had a bar (Fence) labeled "Trainz", which gave me access to all of my Trainz programs. Unfortunately, that Fence caused interference between all of the Trainz programs. (Don't know why.) But, uninstalling Fences cured all of the problems.

Bob Morrison

Thanks for that info. I created a folder I called desktop Items and put all the shortcuts I use mostly every day in there. I then have sub-folders in there such as Trainz, Trainz-Apps, System Utilities, etc. I suppose it's the same idea, but not as elegant as the Fences was.

As far as crashing, it may have something to do with the windows graphics management. I wonder if running Trainz windowed would have made the difference, but then it was mentioned that it affects other Dell/Alienware computers so it could also be some conflict with one of their utilities as well. One way to determine what caused the failure is to look at the event viewer, but that may not show all and only the final failure. If you had a debugger installed with all the code symbols, you might be able to dig out who stomped on who in this case.

:D I use Stardock until I went WIN10 from WIN8 version,,,,

At the moment, don't use Stardock utilities any longer, but this is good to know. Because on another Note, I also use Carbonite as well, and there has been some times Trainz from version T-12 thru TRS19 acted funny, or lagging graphics and file wise, what I learned to do was schedule my file backups opposite of the times I used Trainz, but when I did Route editing, it came to point I had to Pause, Suspend Carbonite and things went to normal.....Too bad Fences went over the limit on Software compatibility...:(

Thanks for the update on Stardock Fences....I don't really need to use their software any longer, so you did me a big favor........:cool:

I use Windows taskbar to group the icons using built-in functions of Win7 with no problems.

I use Windows taskbar to group the icons using built-in functions of Win7 with no problems.

That's a good idea. I have a few things down there like Outlook (the program not the subscription, browser, and text editor, but that's it.

I'm still using Quick Launch in Win10, much tidier than dumping stuff on the taskbar.

No need to dump the stuff there directly, only folders with appropriately sorted shortcuts. Test it to see, how simple, intuitive and tide it is.. ;-)

Thanks for this post

Thank you for this warning article. I was not aware of this. However, after this article I became aware of Fences Software. Thank you.

No need to dump the stuff there directly, only folders with appropriately sorted shortcuts. Test it to see, how simple, intuitive and tide it is.. ;-)

Folder = 2 clicks to launch program, Quicklaunch = 1 click to launch program. ;)

So in essence, Fences provides a updated version of Win98's program manager. In fairness to Stardock, it is still being developed. Last update was August 6, 2019. But as a rule, the less stuff you have running while Trainz is running the better.

William

I still use fences on my work PC and have used it for several years. never noticed it did anything at all related to trainz.

I'll second that.

I've used Fences for years without any noticeable issues. I have a "fence" for my several Trainz programs , another for the PEV tools, others for image editors, others for my software dev work, etc. i.e. Anything I use every day.

Sure, you can use the task bar and the launcher to start programs, etc, but I prefer using Fences.

John's comments in post 8, second paragraph seem the most likely to me.

Back