A humble request for the staff to rethink how they handled the situation

If the user was banned for that post, how was he able to post again? Do you really think that the message at the bottom of the first post was put there by mods?

... and that perfectly illustrates the problem with text base forums - we do not always get the visual clues we need to decide to whether a post was made in jest, was an attempt at sarcasm/humour, was just an example of poor communication skills, or the poster was really serious. Some of us have a very dry sense of humour that others "do not get". The addition of an emoticon (absent in the case of the "User Was Banned" message line) can often be the only indicator. But even then some people see a post, take it at face value, and before you know it the thread becomes an argument.

The response a few posts above ("Might as well ban me too. No use in being in this forum if it's [run] by power-abusers.") and the one above that ("you might as well ban me too if that's how you feel this place should be run. I want no part of it") are classic examples.

Last edited:
Well I gotta say, I haven't been on the forums for a while, and when I first saw this........It just took my breath away like WHY in the duce would the officials of the forums just temporary shut down the forums ENTIRELY just because of a mass overload of BAD behavior, talking like they're 'do-waps and hooligans', and beating up in a virtual cyber-attack like they're don't even know HOW can they just act like their OWN DANG AGE?! :( :eek:

You guys DO have a point that 'poor moderation' maybe a factor. But what SHOULD'VE been done in the first place, is that having a moderator taking a closer look at the thread that started it all, then give them a WARNING or (if multiple fractures occurred by the same user in different threads), then BAN them for 48-72 hours. because according to the CoC
- Submitting messages that are inflammatory, insulting, antagonistic or made simply with the intent to provoke disruption to the forum. "Trolling" and baiting will not be tolerated. Messages must show respect for other forum members taking into account that people of all ages and cultures participate on these forums. Trolling is deemed to include messages aimed to incite disruption or stir up trouble, without any attempt to contribute positive suggestions or comments.
The discussion of race, religion and politics; using expressions or language in messages that are considered foul, vulgar, hateful, bigoted, sexually harassing, racially offensive, or are in any way discriminatory. Whether the discussion or expression falls within this definition will be determined at the discretion of N3V staff and/or N3V appointed forum moderators.

- Submitting messages that are not within the designated forum areas identified subject, scope or defined topic. Please note that all posts made to any forum area must comply in all respects with all other standards and requirements as stipulated in this Code of Conduct.

- Submitting messages that personally attack, insult, threaten, criticise, harass or are clearly disrespectful of the opinions of other forum participants, moderators or staff. This means, if you are engaging in debates that involve discussing, questioning or disputing the opinions and views of others, you are required to do so in a civil manner and ensure that your messages are relevant and on-topic and not personal. This rule does not preclude messages that are critical or questioning in nature. It does, however, require that you avoid commenting on the person's character and carefully consider the tone in such messages to ensure that it is polite and respectful.

What should've been done also is 'age limits', most sites do have a 13+ age limit whenever it comes to signing up. I mean, this is a community where we can all share our Trainz, railfaning, and trains hobbies, creativity, and inspiration. NOT a cyber-attack site under one-thread. In some cases (no offense), kids (under 13), have lack to read the rules when it comes to posting anything on the internet. If they don't have anything to say something stupid, then DON'T SAY IT.

I still don't get to why everyone on the forums was locked out of it due to just one persons actions. It's sad that this has to happen. I am not pleased with how they took the situation. There was much better alternitives then to make everyone pay for just one persons decision.

Well said Original Poster. A shocking display of management to block all those seeking legitimate help for their product. The power has always been there to do something about it, its the nuts required to enforce it that's lacking. Writing a new CoC will change nothing, neither will a temporary closure of the board, in fact that attitude will only add to the unrest already here.

You guys gotta be kidding, mass punishment is the only answer, just look at us, muted, silenced. THEY instilled the fear of G_d Almighty into us. The purpose of that little exercise was to command and control, to govern free men, and it was very successful.
The fact that you wont say God here says a little more about the new "dont offend others" policy... Thats just not right. So if I say something along the lines of, I am a God believing christian who finds nothing wrong with the confederate flag, supports our police, is against abortion and the Obama administration, I have to fear ill be banned.

Well said Original Poster. A shocking display of management to block all those seeking legitimate help for their product. The power has always been there to do something about it, its the nuts required to enforce it that's lacking. Writing a new CoC will change nothing, neither will a temporary closure of the board, in fact that attitude will only add to the unrest already here.

Ian,

The issues that the same people complained about have been addressed as known issues, and many of these have been looked at in test builds. This has been stated numerous time and if anyone said this, or pointed out the a false statement made by the same folks, this would start a tirade of outright mean personal attacks against the poster. To add to this, and as has been stated before, if there are any patches in the works, these will take further testing to ensure there are no additional glitches introduced. You were lucky enough not to have suffered through TRS2004 and its four patches. Yes, that's right four patches. It wasn't until the final SP4 did we have a decent product, and by then TRS2006 was already in the works with its own bag of worms for the community to tend with.

Yes, we all agree this product needs work. Outside of repeatedly saying the same things over and over, there is a group of us working hard with test builds to test and retest a new version each week. Hopefully the information gleaned from the test builds will lead to a service pack or upgrade. The good news is each test build is better and better, however, there are things that get broken in the process.

Now for the caveat: What we see in the test builds may or may not ever be released, or maybe will in the future. These are released as is with their own issues for testing purposes, which as I said are getting better in some areas, but broken in others.

On an additional note related to the same subject, there have been discussions on how to better communicate this information to the community, perhaps through a top-posted sticky with compiled information from additional users in our test group, and posted by a single user, or maybe we will all post our results for all to see. The Trainz Dev is not a closed forum for reading. Posting yes, but is available for the all to read. The stuff is a bit technical, sometimes more than I can understand too. But there's lots of good stuff going on there that needs communicating in the best manner possible which we need to work out.

And finally, keep in mind we don't own the forums. These are N3V's property and though they make them available to us to discuss the Trainz simulation, they expect us to have respect for others and for the staff just as you would if you were visiting someone else's home or office. Since N3V owns the forums, they can do as they wish. They could very well have made them disappear permanently as the company is not obligated to provide the forums for us. The new CoC basically says, in so many words, they will be more apt to crack down on folks who start personal attacks without going through the old process of infractions first. So basically if you are polite, ask nicely, and play nice, you'll have no problems.

John

The fact that you wont say God here says a little more about the new "dont offend others" policy... Thats just not right. So if I say something along the lines of, I am a God believing christian who finds nothing wrong with the confederate flag, supports our police, is against abortion and the Obama administration, I have to fear ill be banned.

But N3V is Australian. All of that besides being Christian means little to them. :p

- Josh

But N3V is Australian. All of that besides being Christian means little to them. :p

- Josh

I'd assume it doesn't matter as it offends other people.

This is a longtime forum CoC... point. The discussion of religion and politics is not allowed. This is pretty common in many forums run by many companies.

In general, religion and politics are best kept out of every day talk anyway except amongst like minded people.

Keep in mind, that a religious belief one has may not be the same as it is for someone else, and the same with politics. So by keeping these rather heated topics out of the arena, so to speak, it prevents fights. Simple as that. :)

John

This is a longtime forum CoC... point. The discussion of religion and politics is not allowed. This is pretty common in many forums run by many companies.

In general, religion and politics are best kept out of every day talk anyway except amongst like minded people.

Keep in mind, that a religious belief one has may not be the same as it is for someone else, and the same with politics. So by keeping these rather heated topics out of the arena, so to speak, it prevents fights. Simple as that. :)

John

The dinner table of Trainz... ah yes.

Back