British electric trains?

Lataxe

Perhaps you're the same? Various Trainz aspects become the obsession-of-the-month and off you go looking for all the bits & pieces.

At the moment I've become obsessed with early British electric trains - more those using overhead catenaries but also DEMUs that can use an on-board diesel engine to drive the generator making lecky for the electric motor driving the train, as well as a third rail supply or a catenary supply.

So far I have various Class 76s but also Paulz Trainz MSJAR payware. There is also that nice 3rd-rail pullman from the DLS. Can anyone enlighten me as to what other early electric engines were about in Blighty up to around 1960ish?

I recall various NCB electric engines used in South Shields (Tyneside) when I were a lad (50s & 60s) to haul coal trucks from Westoe pit to the loaders at Tyne Dock. There must have been others around of this ilk.

Perhaps a knowledgeable lad could point me to a handy book on the subject? I've tried Amazon but found mostly steam or region-based books rather than any specifically about electrification in GB.

Any pointers or info (DLS/feeware/payware GB engines, books on the subject or potted history) would be most welcome.

Lataxe

Hi Lataxe

I know exactly what you mean I often get a craze for some particular aspect.

There are some nice DMUs from my memory of Southern Region (blue and Grey) from around the 70s - Here is a pic of one from my Bournemouth Route.

4-CIGBmthEntry.jpg

If you are interested I recommend you visit this thread and read through it - The models are excellent and they even include opening doors on the first version (sadly the later headcode versions do not have that, but you can take your choice)

I hope that is helpful

Nij

Last edited:
Perhaps you're the same? Various Trainz aspects become the obsession-of-the-month and off you go looking for all the bits & pieces.

Perhaps a knowledgeable lad could point me to a handy book on the subject? I've tried Amazon but found mostly steam or region-based books rather than any specifically about electrification in GB.

Any pointers or info (DLS/feeware/payware GB engines, books on the subject or potted history) would be most welcome.

Lataxe

Hi try this page: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...20th+century&sprefix=British+L,stripbooks,162

British Locomotives of the 20th Century, particularly volume 3 1960 - the present day.

Nij & Paul,

Thank you both for those links. Those books in particular look interesting.

I have subsequently found this Wikipedia page, which is very useful as a prompt for seeking further information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_Rail_electric_multiple_unit_classes

On the DLS I've so far managed to find good quality (i.e. passenger & door enabled) EMUs as follows: class 305, 307, 313, 318. There are others to be found, including some in the class 4xx series, that are more basic (i.e. empty insides with no door/passenger enablement).

The above are all old enough to have BR livery rather than the (I think) ugly paint-splotch colourings of those privatised rail companies donated to us by Mrs Thrutcher and her gang of accountant-orcs.
But the Wikipedia list mentions various other nomenclatures besides "Class xxx" so I'm off to further search the DLS.

I'm wondering if there are any payware-makers out there (besides Paulz Trainz) who offer a good quality Brtish EMU, especially from earlier times in the history of British EMUs?

There must also be GB electric goods engines and shunters out there............

Lataxe

Back