Collector post for off-topic posts to: Can you guess the next key feature for Trainz?

What about getting the TANE to work nicely on a 64 bit laptop?
Most computers nowadays are showing that laptops are becoming more popular than the home towers now.
However, laptops still struggle with high graphics programs.

The past is the best thing you could hope for in the present to be able plan ahead for the future. One of the most common observations in trainz is that every time we move onto another version of trainz then the fixing and repairing starts. This has to be one of the biggest setbacks facing the trainzers. Stay with what you have or move on. Eventually they will end up out in the cold because there is no longer any support for that version. To move on or move forward then should not involve hundreds of hours of sorting and fixing. Some of the bugs and errors never were fixed in the previous version and possibly are still present in the new.

I would prefer to stay with the version I have now and upgrade it. I realise that it is all about business and returning a profit Tony so lets get that out of the way. Following some of what you have seen posted here then I think it would be better to build on T:ANE with upgrades or service packs and call them what you will. I would be a lot happier to pay for an upgrade than start again from scratch. It makes sense that you would only be able to go so far with that but at least you would have (possibly) more customers and a level of satisfaction within the trainz group, which ought to promote further sales.

Make no mistake, N3V's reputation and credibility has taken a bit of a dent and efforts need to be made to restore that. There was a lot in TS12 that worked and people are abandoning T:ANE and going back to it. Each to his own then but N3V needs to look back and assimilate. There has to be a better way to go forward and it has to be a way that will take a loyal following with it.

Regards
Doug

That surely would only apply if the Stretch Goal target for funding was achieved (which it wasn't). If the money was raised for any Stretch Goal then we would be obligated to deliver the feature (as we did with the 4th goal which was achieved 4 months after the cut-off date for funding). Since the supporters did not provide the funding, the obligation ends.

Don't mention the KickStarter. I mentioned it once and I didn't get away with it.

I promise not to mention the KickStarter again, if you promise not to run one again :)

Most computers nowadays are showing that laptops are becoming more popular than the home towers now.

Unfortunately, most are lacking in the horsepower department. By next year, tablets/phones should exceed laptops and desktops combined, but the hardware on those devices isn't even close to that of a laptop, let alone a desktop. The moral of the story is, just because some forms of computing are popular, doesn't mean they're suited to the job. Even with a modern desktop, you have to dial back at least some settings for T:ANE to run well.

The trick - for both N3V and users - is to find a good trade-off spot based on what's available at the moment.

The issue with Procedural Track and it's update problems must be resolved !!!!!! And we are waiting for the long promised Sliding Chairs under the blades!!!

Properly. Support. AMD. GPU's.

I don't have temperature issues like everyone else because of solid 3rd party cooling, but constant CTD's are a pain in the arse!

While we're at it, don't go backwards. No 32bit support is needed. Don't scale back graphics targets. Actually release a working product rather than making us wait extended periods for patches.

Jack

Well it's working fine on my laptop here, The problem for laptops and the main reason why many people don't game on them, is due to the hybird GFX cards they have setup.

Sure a Nvidia or AMD chip can be on the sticker but that doesn't mean it's the main GFX card, with intel and AMD pretty much only releasing laptop CPUs with an inbuilt GFX card in the CPU, laptop makers generally have the CPU running everything and you require an external monitor or setup the nvida or AMD GFX chip - control panel to make it work on the Nvida or AMD GFX chip in the laptop.

And you can't always turn off the intel GFX chip on every laptop sold.

So if you are getting bad performance then you should make sure trainz is working on the right GFX chip, Nvidia control panel does allow trainz.exe to be selected so you can force the Nvidia handle the graphics.

You also have the other problem of laptop GFX chips which aren't the same as the desktop chips they will run slower and have some things cut out so help reduce battery or heat problems, for example NVidia will have 680 desktop chips and 680M laptop chips they ain't the same chip though.

Last edited:
Why are we talking about a new version when there's obviously still a lot of work that needs to be done in TANE?

This makes no sense to me.

Is it: Yet another Kickstarter campaign, requiring more money, for a brand new version of Trainz, from Trainzers, that already have 6, or more, unsupported versions of Trainz ?

Last edited:
They will not get my money unless they come good on the promises they made in order to raise money for T.ANE SLI/Crossfire Hell will freeze over first.
Delete this post i don't care they are being recorded.
Deleting post of truth that they don't like does not look good for them as a company rather than giving an honest answer.

I just want Download Manager show the lettters more dark so I can read it. The ts12 Download side was much better.

stiga

I was actually amazed to find that it works on my ACER S7 ultrabook with a "bog standard" Intel Graphics system! (admittedly with most of the sliders at or close to minimum) - but it works.

This is great for using T:ANE when I am traveling but I would never use it for creating a layout.

I think the wrong question is being asked. I have spent a career in engineering and I don't believe its unreasonable to suggest that once the client becomes involved with design and development you begin to dig a massive hole for yourself however good your intentions. If T-ANE had 'not' been crowd funded and N3V Games had 'not' made a list of promises or shared the development with us but just produced the new version of Trainz as it did with Trainz 2012 most would be singing its praises as an improvement over previous versions. You don't think so, ask yourself what you don't like about your new car, not much I guess, now list the faults with the old car it replaced which you likewise cherished once as you do your new one.

Yes there would still be gripes about T-ANE and a never ending wish list for any future version. We would I'm sure have a few Hot-fixes and SP's during its life cycle but many of us would still purchase that next version because we have the bug and are either sentimental or stupid about Train(z).

Perhaps what we should be asking or being asked is do we want to be involved in any future development as we have with T-ANE, and if so to what extent because proposals frequently migrate into perceptions, into promises and then perhaps disappointment.

Peter

You argument would be a winner if not for basic fact the old car had doors but the new car just have openings in the side where door could or should be. If it was just the added freebies that were not working in TANE it would not be too much of a problem but when its the basic building blocks that are faulty that's an issue.
I think the wrong question is being asked. I have spent a career in engineering and I don't believe its unreasonable to suggest that once the client becomes involved with design and development you begin to dig a massive hole for yourself however good your intentions. If T-ANE had 'not' been crowd funded and N3V Games had 'not' made a list of promises or shared the development with us but just produced the new version of Trainz as it did with Trainz 2012 most would be singing its praises as an improvement over previous versions. You don't think so, ask yourself what you don't like about your new car, not much I guess, now list the faults with the old car it replaced which you likewise cherished once as you do your new one.

Yes there would still be gripes about T-ANE and a never ending wish list for any future version. We would I'm sure have a few Hot-fixes and SP's during its life cycle but many of us would still purchase that next version because we have the bug and are either sentimental or stupid about Train(z).

Perhaps what we should be asking or being asked is do we want to be involved in any future development as we have with T-ANE, and if so to what extent because proposals frequently migrate into perceptions, into promises and then perhaps disappointment.

Peter

As player of the Trainz Series for nearly 11 years now, TANE has not lived up to anything, not even TRS2004 standards. If it had lived up to that, I might have respected it, N3V, and Tony Hilliam more, but that has not been the case.

The Man Himself said:
That surely would only apply if the Stretch Goal target for funding was achieved (which it wasn't). If the money was raised for any Stretch Goal then we would be obligated to deliver the feature (as we did with the 4th goal which was achieved 4 months after the cut-off date for funding). Since the supporters did not provide the funding, the obligation ends.
I can say that I satisfied we didn't get there. We need less reasons to criticize TANE, as you have given us ample areas on which to do it heavily. I'm sure you are as well, because you wouldn't have liked to have been going through the millions of more bug reports than you already have now, because your product doesn't work.

Classic Hilliam said:
It concerns me that we are meant to be discussing something new and exciting and people are dwelling on the past. Everyone appears so focused on their "one thing" that must be fixed/implemented while ignoring the commercial reality that wages, servers and other costs need to be paid.
It concerns me you can't figure this part out. If you could, TANE might actually work. Sad part is, you think that is commercial reality, well my friend, you're forgetting a big part of it. People pay for you to do this when you make something that works, is satisfying, doesn't have to be fixed by outsiders who know how to code better than your crew does, and performs decently. What the heck do you think dude? People randomly throw money at things they can read reviews on, see what people say, and get the idea that it doesn't work? Aussies must have more money than the rest of us, because I know I certainly can not afford to do this. Do you buy products which every review says the product don't work? I will be quite interested in hearing your answer to this one.

The Ringmaster said:
That said, we are cognizant of the order of Stretch Goals and also how close the order of the voting was. We are also looking at the best way we believe we can generate the revenues to provide people with everything being discussed here and more - but in the order of what makes the best commercial sense.
What would make the most commercial sense is fixing the shortfalls of TANE first, then worrying about what comes next. But then, we are talking to you here, who can't figure out why we're all dwelling in TANE's past, which really isn't too distant (Only for you).

More of the classic Tony said:
Hopefully people will begin to realize that helping us generate new customers is something they can all do by getting behind us, while driving customers away ultimately ensures their Trainz dreams will not be fulfilled.
We were behind you the first time, and you blamed us then, and here you are once again blaming us for your failure. We never drove any customers away. We only told them the truth which is your product sucks. I've play games from the early 2000's that look and perform better than TANE does out of the box without the shader mods from Tram__. But you can't even implement those, let alone make an entirely new game that works. You will fulfill our Trainz Nightmares, which will be the next installment of the trainz series.

Blind Hilliam said:
From the latest newsletter, I have been reading survey response about people concerned about even trying TANE because of reports they have read on these forums. Their money is still in their pocket which is reducing our capacity to add the features you all would like to see.
You had the capacity the first time to implement those features. Perhaps you should fix this one first, and tones might change, but clearly, you don't know too much about public relations or communications.

The Tony Hilliam that We All know said:
SP1 has noticeably turned things around, but there is plenty more work to be done. With the support of our community, we will make greater strides forward. With negativity from the community, the problems are more likely to grow than be resolved.
Do you even play your own game? I doubt it considering how oblivious you have been to many of the issues that SP1 has yet to address. Does anybody at N3V play the product? Probably not, because if they did, they would be truly ashamed of the product, and the leader that has made a fool of himself this long in order to defend the ship that sank a long time ago. You're dead and underwater now man, nobody is going to trust you or your team after what you've done to this program and series.

Last edited:
Back