Tumbler Ridge Project

ATSF854

trainzz
Info from Underhill and other sources

"Decades of exploration in the Peace River and Canadian Rockies have uncovered vast deposits of coal. But there is an enormous gap between identifying a marketable resource and having a market for that resource. Among the various scenarios for exploitation of these vast coal reserves, Kilborn Engineering published a feasibility study in 1975, for extraction of coal from what would later become the Tumbler Ridge Quintette Mine. The original rail alignment detailed in the 1975 study north to Chetwynd was abandoned. A new alignment was blazed, officially named the Tumbler Sub-division beginning at Tacheeda on the BC Rail north-south mainline, running 84.5 miles roughly east following the desolate Table Valley before reaching its 3, 815 feet summit under the Rocky Mountains crossing the Sukunka river to the new town site of Tumbler Ridge. The alignment, with a ruling grade of just 1.5% empty eastbound, 1.2% loaded westbound, required four tunnels and eleven bridges. Two tunnels, the 2nd and 4th longest railroad tunnels in Canada, Table Tunnel at 5.6 miles length and Wolverine Tunnel at 3.7 miles length. Although loaded trains would be running downhill through the 1.5% Table Tunnel, they would be pulling through the 1.2% Wolverine Tunnel." (from oil electric blog)

Images from Underhill land surveying service

img030.jpg

GCF%20levelling%20NE%20Coal.jpg

img035.jpg

Last edited:
DEM's are not hard to make, the raster map overlays are more of a pain. I take it this is a Canadian route or not? Anyway to make a DEM you would need TranzDEM from geophil, very good program well worth the money.

Last edited:
Looking really good! That catenery really looks like the one we use in Sweden. Sad that they remowed it. I'll will follow this, becouse this looks fantastic! :)

Great job!

Thanks for the comments guys!

DEM's are not hard to make, the raster map overlays are more of a pain. I take it this is a Canadian route or not? Anyway to make a DEM you would need TranzDEM from geophil, very good program well worth the money.

Yes this is a Canadian route, a rather remote one in northern British Columbia. Before I throw some money at TranzDEM (a program I have heard of before) I will have to look into some tutorials first to see how it is done and if the resources I have can be used.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Yes this is a Canadian route, a rather remote one in northern British Columbia. Before I throw some money at TranzDEM (a program I have heard of before) I will have to look into some tutorials first to see how it is done and if the resources I have can be used.
\
From what I have heard, you just need google earth, and you can do just about anything. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but it looks like it may be so. I would contact Phil directly with some questions on it. I'm sure he'll be able to give you a hand, or maybe several. And you just might end up with a program that you can make many many routes with.

\
From what I have heard, you just need google earth, and you can do just about anything. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but it looks like it may be so. I would contact Phil directly with some questions on it. I'm sure he'll be able to give you a hand, or maybe several. And you just might end up with a program that you can make many many routes with.

Google earth will give you the raster maps which are overlayed onto the DEM. The NED data (elevation) you would have to get from a site that hosts GEO information.

Looking really good! That catenery really looks like the one we use in Sweden. Sad that they remowed it. I'll will follow this, becouse this looks fantastic! :)

Great job!

You are actually correct. The centenary system used was of Swedish design with some modifications for use in a subarctic climate.

Thanks for the comments, I will be buying TranzDEM as soon as I can now that I have a better idea of how it works.

Here is a recent creation. This is the building for the BC rail speeders and other equipment located at Murray next to the locomotive maintenance shop.

34ad4fafa4b542d1d454888b6523fb21.jpg

Thanks montanawestern

With the DEM route coming soon, I practiced some scenery a little bit and made the insulators on the GF6C look a bit more like insulators :p I also have the cab of the GF6C about 30-40% modeled. But I'll show that when it gets finished.

*old GF6C pics removed*

Also, I've added proper coal loads to the coal gon. Special thanks to mick (matruck) for helping me out on this coal gon. The ARN is to be edited soon.

2b84193d606a98dc463579ecd76f8558.jpg

Last edited:
If I may ask, what is the kuid of the track? Or is it a private track not set for release? Also, those models look magnificent.

Wow Matt impressive work you certainly have a talent for this stuff. Best of luck with ya project mate.
Cheers Mick.:)

thanks for the comments. The track is unreleased JR track.

Nearly finished up the coalgon. Re-did other gecko skins and such.

a5ed88d018bc3da48e628426fc2cac11.jpg

95f07958938b7c69b283c61392ff1cc0.jpg

Not dead :p

I was really bugged by something on the loco, so I gave it a makeover and re-did/changed some things.

d0f7d9e29d6caeb80ea002db15c9e082.jpg

Next stage is getting the 1/2/3 (4?) track catenary setups done.

Back