My CSA Challenger, NYC H10b Mikado and PRR T-1 Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were the CSA challengers ever greyhound painted?
And, (excluding the headlight) what are the differences from the front frame of the upgraded CSA challengers, and the late model challengers.

http://utahrails.net/up/ttg-challengers.php

Timeline for TTG steam locomotives

Early 1946 - Dec. 1946 Two Tone Gray with Silver Gray striping and lettering

Dec. 1946 - Mid 1949 TTG with Armor Yellow striping and lettering

Mid 1949 - mid 1952 TTG with Silver Gray striping and lettering (some locomotives were not repainted to Black and Silver until as late as 1954)

In addition to the 10 Challengers there were 45 Northerns (4-8-4), 60 Mountains (4-8-2), and 14 Pacifics (4-6-2) also there is some evidence that at least a few yard switchers were gussied up with TTG. :D

Last edited:
The early UP Challengers where exclusively freight locomotives. they never had the Greyhound livery applied.

The differences on the pilot between the early and late Challengers post-modification are few and none. After the rebuild to bring them in line with the latest Challengers and Big Boys, the CSA's received these large covers over the air compressors. The distinct difference is that the late Challengers had grates on the covers as well as small doors for access.

Also they still lacked the UP shield, anywhere on the locomotive.

Early Challenger models. Notice the much more open pilot and more exposed air compressors.
IMG_6486.JPG

Post rebuild #3707. The light covers have been replaced by a large plate covering up the air compressors.

ATHG97242-2.jpg

Late model 4664-5, UP 3941, one of the last Challengers constructed. Notice the grates on the pilot.

66253606e121aadce765822c07ec008c.jpg
Thanks for the info! I don't think the CSA Challengers were exclusive freight engines, as I have actually seen pictures in an book of CSA Challenger 3805 pulling the Pacific limited out of Denver, Colorado.

http://utahrails.net/up/ttg-challengers.php

Timeline for TTG steam locomotives

Early 1946 - Dec. 1946 Two Tone Gray with Silver Gray striping and lettering

Dec. 1946 - Mid 1949 TTG with Armor Yellow striping and lettering

Mid 1949 - mid 1952 TTG with Silver Gray striping and lettering (some locomotives were not repainted to Black and Silver until as late as 1954)

In addition to the 10 Challengers there were 45 Northerns (4-8-4), 60 Mountains (4-8-2), and 14 Pacifics (4-6-2) also there is some evidence that at least a few yard switchers were gussied up with TTG. :D
Thanks as well!

Thanks for the info! I don't think the CSA Challengers were exclusive freight engines, as I have actually seen pictures in an book of CSA Challenger 3805 pulling the Pacific limited out of Denver, Colorado.

I probably should have phrased that better. I meant the CSA Challengers weren't designed with regular passenger operations in mind so they never carried the greyhound paint scheme. Even so, I have no doubt the UP would use the Challengers on passenger trains as helpers or as the main motive power for that train. I know for a fact that the have used other articulateds as well on passenger trains.

Exibit A: A 2-8-8-0 Bull Moose doubleheading with a 4-8-2 Mountain. Must have been a pretty heavy train over a short distance as the 2-8-8-0 only had a top speed around 25 mph.

up3529la1939w_sievers.1600.jpg

I probably should have phrased that better. I meant the CSA Challengers weren't designed with regular passenger operations in mind so they never carried the greyhound paint scheme. Even so, I have no doubt the UP would use the Challengers on passenger trains as helpers or as the main motive power for that train. I know for a fact that the have used other articulateds as well on passenger trains.

Exibit A: A 2-8-8-0 Bull Moose doubleheading with a 4-8-2 Mountain. Must have been a pretty heavy train over a short distance as the 2-8-8-0 only had a top speed around 25 mph.

up3529la1939w_sievers.1600.jpg
I'm assuming the 2-8-8-0 had already been rebuilt as simple?

Would anyone mind if I included a Greyhound CSA challenger(with and without elephant ears/smoke deflectors) in my CSA challenger pack?

Create what you want to create, if you want to add a greyhound challenger with "elephant ears", go for it!
Ok! Also I have a question. I was attempting to make the wheels for the challenger by modifying Bdaneals 2-8-2 bogeys.
First, I resized the drivers(which worked out well). Since I'm using alpha texturing to make the holes for the bopox drivers, I used the cap holes modifier to fill in the holes formed by the spoked drivers. When I use the unwrap UV modifier, I discovered that the uv coordinates for the capped part of the mesh was rotated edge-on. Is there any way to flip it flat end-first?

Uptrainz is proud to announce its next 4 projects: A Payware Southern Ps4, a Freeware PRR H9 and I1, and a Payware NYC J3a with Commodore Vanderbilt and Dreyfuss casings.

Whoa whoa whoa...slow down bucko. One of the biggest rules in modelling is to pace yourself. Don't go rushing into doing more than maybe 2 projects at maximum. It's a surefire way to burn yourself out, which leads to you making shortcuts, which leads to you getting lazy, which leads to below-average models. Start with one engine at a time at least.

Whoa whoa whoa...slow down bucko. One of the biggest rules in modelling is to pace yourself. Don't go rushing into doing more than maybe 2 projects at maximum. It's a surefire way to burn yourself out, which leads to you making shortcuts, which leads to you getting lazy, which leads to below-average models. Start with one engine at a time at least.

Agreed, Id like to point out that its foolish to want to make payware without having any models for people to play with to judge your skills. As for the project list ya have, K&L already has K4's, CB&Q O5B, N&W A Class, E6's while there is bill's old H-9 on the dls.

I agree with the 2 previous posts. You have to finish a couple then release them as freeware, you might even have to do quite a few before making a payware asset. Also, if you get frustrated with a project, perservere and try to figure the issue out. Or even better, ask for help, I am fairly sure that there are plenty of excellent content creators who would not mind giving you some useful advice to help you complete your projects.

A suggestion that myself and most other content creators would give you would be to start with something simple, texture it, maybe do an animation and export it to trainz so that you get some experience going through that process. You may also even want to figure out how to turn that simple mesh into a train car, basically you would be adding the necessary attachment points in order for it to function as a train car.

Agreed, Id like to point out that its foolish to want to make payware without having any models for people to play with to judge your skills. As for the project list ya have, K&L already has K4's, CB&Q O5B, N&W A Class, E6's while there is bill's old H-9 on the dls.

I agree with the 2 previous posts. You have to finish a couple then release them as freeware, you might even have to do quite a few before making a payware asset. Also, if you get frustrated with a project, perservere and try to figure the issue out. Or even better, ask for help, I am fairly sure that there are plenty of excellent content creators who would not mind giving you some useful advice to help you complete your projects.

A suggestion that myself and most other content creators would give you would be to start with something simple, texture it, maybe do an animation and export it to trainz so that you get some experience going through that process. You may also even want to figure out how to turn that simple mesh into a train car, basically you would be adding the necessary attachment points in order for it to function as a train car.
Don't worry, I can handle it. I have made addons for two other games, and they turned out quite well(though I didn't release them). Also, i am actually quite skilled with 3D modeling, having worked with 4 different software. Trainz is not the first game I've 3D modelled in.

Don't worry, I can handle it. I have made addons for two other games, and they turned out quite well(though I didn't release them). Also, i am actually quite skilled with 3D modeling, having worked with 4 different software. Trainz is not the first game I've 3D modelled in.

That's great.

I could go on a ten-minute ramble about how this has happened to other aspiring content creators and how it's never turned out well and how they've all become the basis for examples of what NOT to do when modelling, but why bother...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back