Patching Guide for TS2009, TS2010 and TS12

shaneturner12

Tutorial Creator
Moderators - if this is the wrong place, please move it accordingly.

If you are a non-English user, also read http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...rmation-relating-to-Windows-account-usernames regarding Windows usernames.

Hi Trainzers,

This guide (which is also on my tutorial site in a different form) will help with the patching process.

It is split into stages, each with step by step instructions.

It is advised to check your disk for errors, run a disk cleanup, and defragment your disc.

Important notes before patching
Patching will only work on a version that is registered with N3V. This can be done by clicking Planet Auran above, then clicking Serial Number, then filling in the form.

Some patches will appear to stop at approximately 50%. This is normal, and does not indicate the patch has failed (unless Patching Aborted has appeared). Cancelling the patch at this point will require a reinstall to be done afterwards.

To install certain patches, you must be running DirectX 9.0C August 2009 or later. See my DirectX Update sticky in this forum for details on how to update it.

Automatic Patching

Most versions of TS2009, TS2010 and TS12 will automatically patch. To enable this:

1. Click Options on the Launcher.
2. Click the Planet Auran tab, and make sure your username and password are entered.
3. Restart Trainz.

When Trainz restarts, a Yes/No box will appear if the patch can be automatically installed. Click Yes to proceed.

Manual Patching

If the automatic patching does not work, or is unavailable for your version, you can usually install a manual patch.

To do this, you will need the 5-digit number at the bottom right hand corner of the Launcher screen.

Patch locations:

Most patches can be downloaded from http://www.auran.com/servicepacks/, with the following exceptions:

Regional versions - you will need to visit the website of the distributor of your version, for example Just Trains. For the Easy Computing version, see belgian46's sticky in the Trainz-Dutch forum which contains a link to the relevant page on my tutorial site.

Steam version - if a patch is available, the Steam Client will download and install it automatically. This applies to TS2009 and TS12.

TS2010 Multiplayer Beta - the first patch (44088 to 41670) is available here.

TS12 - The 47059 to 48249 patch is available at http://download.ts2009.com/patch/47059_to_48249.exe , and the 46957 to 48249 patch is available at http://download.ts2009.com/patch/46957_to_48249.exe .

In addition to this, the following regional patches for TS12 are at:

47772 to 48249: http://download.ts2009.com/patch/47772_to_48249.exe
47452 to 48249: http://download.ts2009.com/patch/47452_to_48249.exe

Non Windows versions

I am currently not aware of any patches for non-Windows versions.

Installing the patch

Regardless of method used, the installation process is the same.

Before you click Apply Update, make sure the folder at the top matches your Trainz installation folder. If it does not, click the .. button next to it to select the correct folder.

Once this is done, click Apply Update. The patch will start to do it's job, and must not be cancelled unless you see Patch Aborted.

If it does abort for some reason, you may need to reinstall the game. I have a list of common patching errors below.

Once the patch has completed, the game may need to do a database repair on the next startup. Let it do one to ensure the stability of the database.

Some versions require more than one patch, so this may need to be repeated several times.

Shane

Last edited:
Common Patching Errors

Error: This patch file is not applicable to your current installation version.
This error can have one of a few reasons, but here are the common ones:
1.Incorrect patch.
To resolve this, download the patch where the first number in the filename matches your current build number.
2.Incorrect folder selected
To resolve this, check which folder it is attempting to patch (shown at the top of the Auran Patcher window) - if it is indeed incorrect, click the .. button to browse your hard disk, and select the trainz.exe file in the appropriate folder. (You may find it easier to select the relevant shortcut on the desktop, as this normally points to the correct file).
3.Previous failed patch.
If a patch has previously failed, the game needs to be reinstalled before any further patch attempts.
This error can also be preceded by 'unable to determine installation location' or similar.
Error: File xxxxx is corrupt and cannot be patched
Also known as 'Existing file is damaged and cannot be patched: xxx'.
To resolve this error, you will need to do the following (as well as a reinstall):
1.Go into (My) Computer.
2.Right-click your hard drive and click Properties.
3.Click Tools (this will be a tab at the top of the dialog box)
4.Click Check Now.
5.Tick both boxes shown and click Start.
6.More than likely you will get another box: click Yes/Schedule Disk check (which one appears will depend on version)
7.Restart your system.
File xxx.ja does not match
This error can either mean you have the wrong folder selected, or you have cancelled the patch previously, which means a reinstall.
Error: August 2009 version of DirectX is required
See my DirectX Update sticky in this forum.
Unable to compute checksum for file xxx
This error usually crops up if there is a problem with your Trainz installation, or your hard drive. Reinstalling is a good idea in these circumstances.
Error: Existing File is already patched
This error happens if a previous patch has failed, or was stopped partway through. A reinstall must be performed in this case.
Unknown error
Usually, this means a reinstall, but it also means that there may be a fault with the patching file.
Failed to extract patch archive
This error can be corrected by downloading and running the appropriate manual patch.

Repair related messages (These also crop up during an Extended Database Repair)

<kuid:xxxxx:xxxxx> does not match the database record

This is not a true error, as it indicates what has been corrected by the patching program. Quite often, it is caused by the folder references changing during patching.
Original/Local copy of <kuid:xxxxx:xxxxx> has been removed
This indicates that the KUID mentioned has had it's original copy, or it's local copy removed. This is usually the case with local (non-built-in) assets.
<kuid:xxxxx:xxxxx> has been found at a new location
This indicates that a previously deleted asset has been found elsewhere and has been reinstated.

Shane

Last edited:
Moderators - if this is the wrong place, please move it accordingly.

Hi Trainzers,

This guide (which is also on my tutorial site in a different form) will help with the patching process.

It is split into stages, each with step by step instructions.

It is advised to check your disk for errors, run a disk cleanup, and defragment your disc.

Important notes before patching
Patching will only work on a version that is registered with N3V. This can be done by clicking Planet Auran above, then clicking Serial Number, then filling in the form.

Some patches will appear to stop at approximately 50%. This is normal, and does not indicate the patch has failed (unless Patching Aborted has appeared). Cancelling the patch at this point will require a reinstall to be done afterwards.

To install certain patches, you must be running DirectX 9.0C August 2009 or later. See my DirectX Update sticky in this forum for details on how to update it.

Automatic Patching

Most versions of TS2009, TS2010 and TS12 will automatically patch. To enable this:

1. Click Options on the Launcher.
2. Click the Planet Auran tab, and make sure your username and password are entered.
3. Restart Trainz.

When Trainz restarts, a Yes/No box will appear if the patch can be automatically installed. Click Yes to proceed.

Manual Patching

If the automatic patching does not work, or is unavailable for your version, you can usually install a manual patch.

To do this, you will need the 5-digit number at the bottom right hand corner of the Launcher screen.

Patch locations:

Most patches can be downloaded from http://www.auran.com/servicepacks/, with the following exceptions:

Regional versions - you will need to visit the website of the distributor of your version, for example Just Trains. For the Easy Computing version, see belgian46's sticky in the Trainz-Dutch forum which contains a link to the relevant page on my tutorial site.

Steam version - if a patch is available, the Steam Client will download and install it automatically. This applies to TS2009 and TS12.

TS2010 Multiplayer Beta - the first patch (44088 to 41670) is available here.

TS12 - The 47059 to 48249 patch is available at http://download.ts2009.com/patch/47059_to_48249.exe , and the 46957 to 48249 patch is available at http://download.ts2009.com/patch/46957_to_48249.exe .

In addition to this, the following regional patches for TS12 are at:

47772 to 48249: http://download.ts2009.com/patch/47772_to_48249.exe
47452 to 48249: http://download.ts2009.com/patch/47452_to_48249.exe

Non Windows versions

I am currently not aware of any patches for non-Windows versions.

Installing the patch

Regardless of method used, the installation process is the same.

Before you click Apply Update, make sure the folder at the top matches your Trainz installation folder. If it does not, click the .. button next to it to select the correct folder.

Once this is done, click Apply Update. The patch will start to do it's job, and must not be cancelled unless you see Patch Aborted.

If it does abort for some reason, you may need to reinstall the game. I have a list of common patching errors below.

Once the patch has completed, the game may need to do a database repair on the next startup. Let it do one to ensure the stability of the database.

Some versions require more than one patch, so this may need to be repeated several times.

Shane

This post is missing the latest patch for TS 12, of 49922. I went by this post and was using 48249, because I thought that it was the latest patch, and found out after 4 months that there was another one 49922. This should be edited to include the last patch.

Hi Robert2d6,

The reason the patch you mention is not listed in this thread is because it is available on N3V's service pack page (as are the 'to 48249' patches nowadays) so I've included the link to said page further up the post.

Shane

Some have recommended installing patches while in Windows' Safe Mode, with the firewall and antivirus turned off. In my experience this is no more reliable than installing from your working desktop.

I've had better luck restarting Windows in Diagnostic Mode, turning off my antivirus' auto-protect and then beginning the patch. 41844 to 44653 ran in about two hours and completed correctly. So far, this method has had no failures that I can recall.

To enter Diagnostic Mode on XP, go Start>Run, type msconfig [ENTER] and pick Diagnostic Mode from the list. You might take insurance by running the System Restore utility and creating a new restore point before exitting. On exit, restart Windows.

When finished patching, turn the antivirus back on and run a complete system antivirus scan.

On my system's firewall I've excluded the Trainz folder, but am not sure that's necessary (or wise.)

:B~)

That is indeed good advice, but only for those who are using the manual patches and have already downloaded the patches.

Shane

P.S. For Windows Vista/7/8 users, this is likely to run any process you run as administrator.

Hi All

I have problem with patching my Trainz. My version is 42953. I am running windows 8. When i am doing it frm the Trainz Lauchner then I am getting this

File error while reading patch data.
Checking for available disk space for patching.
Searching for patches...
Downloading patch file...
Unable to open the patch file for writing: C:\Users\Damian Kaźmierczak\AppData\Local\Temp/42953_to_44088.zip
Patch download failed.
Patching aborted.

and when I am downloading from this site :
http://www.auran.com/servicepacks/ THEN :

File error while reading patch data.
No valid patch operation was specified. Patching aborted.

and when i am putting the exe file in the folder where the game is installed then i am getting this :

Ready to install from local patch file.
Current version: 42953.

Checking for available disk space for patching.
Unable to extract the patch data from this patch file.
Patching aborted.

I have loads of space over 500GB

So could please someone help me

Many Thanks

Space is not the issue here. The problem is that your Windows account username contains non-english characters, which must be sorted before you install any patches.

Shane

I'm afraid that's the only safe method of doing it, as otherwise it will affect other programs as well.

Shane

Hi Shane, I've tried and tried to update my Trainz 2010 Engineers Edition from TS 42203 I've deleted & reinstalled the game. The automatic update fails and manual returns with 'Unpacking Patch File, Failed to extract patch archive, Patching aborted. My problem and reason for trying to update is because:- after I have saved my session and return to the saved game the information list is missing and 2 consists have derailed. All was ok when I saved the game. Which the saved game is useless!

Welcome to the forums.

You will need to register your version before I can fully help you, as the Auran Patcher utility (as well as Trainz itself) requires that you register your serial number. To do so, click Planet Auran above, then Serial Number, then fill in the form.

Be aware that you may have to reinstall the game as well, especially if you've cancelled the patch previously.

Shane

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

You will need to register your version before I can fully help you, as the Auran Patcher utility (as well as Trainz itself) requires that you register your serial number. To do so, click Planet Auran above, then Serial Number, then fill in the form.

Be aware that you may have to reinstall the game as well, especially if you've cancelled the patch previously.

Shane
Thanks I've now registered as you recommended. Awaiting any further info.

Apologies for my slow reply..

Can I get you to download and install the 42203 to 44088 patch - use the links in the first post.

If it still fails, copy and paste the entire patching log into a new post.

Common Patching Errors

Error: This patch file is not applicable to your current installation version.
This error can have one of a few reasons, but here are the common ones:
1.Incorrect patch.
To resolve this, download the patch where the first number in the filename matches your current build number.
2.Incorrect folder selected
To resolve this, check which folder it is attempting to patch (shown at the top of the Auran Patcher window) - if it is indeed incorrect, click the .. button to browse your hard disk, and select the trainz.exe file in the appropriate folder. (You may find it easier to select the relevant shortcut on the desktop, as this normally points to the correct file).
3.Previous failed patch.
If a patch has previously failed, the game needs to be reinstalled before any further patch attempts.
This error can also be preceded by 'unable to determine installation location' or similar.
Error: File xxxxx is corrupt and cannot be patched
Also known as 'Existing file is damaged and cannot be patched: xxx'.
To resolve this error, you will need to do the following (as well as a reinstall):
1.Go into (My) Computer.
2.Right-click your hard drive and click Properties.
3.Click Tools (this will be a tab at the top of the dialog box)
4.Click Check Now.
5.Tick both boxes shown and click Start.
6.More than likely you will get another box: click Yes/Schedule Disk check (which one appears will depend on version)
7.Restart your system.
File xxx.ja does not match
This error can either mean you have the wrong folder selected, or you have cancelled the patch previously, which means a reinstall.
Error: August 2009 version of DirectX is required
See my DirectX Update sticky in this forum.
Unable to compute checksum for file xxx
This error usually crops up if there is a problem with your Trainz installation, or your hard drive. Reinstalling is a good idea in these circumstances.
Error: Existing File is already patched
This error happens if a previous patch has failed, or was stopped partway through. A reinstall must be performed in this case.
Unknown error
Usually, this means a reinstall, but it also means that there may be a fault with the patching file.
Failed to extract patch archive
This error can be corrected by downloading and running the appropriate manual patch.

Repair related messages (These also crop up during an Extended Database Repair)

<kuid:xxxxx:xxxxx> does not match the database record

This is not a true error, as it indicates what has been corrected by the patching program. Quite often, it is caused by the folder references changing during patching.
Original/Local copy of <kuid:xxxxx:xxxxx> has been removed
This indicates that the KUID mentioned has had it's original copy, or it's local copy removed. This is usually the case with local (non-built-in) assets.
<kuid:xxxxx:xxxxx> has been found at a new location
This indicates that a previously deleted asset has been found elsewhere and has been reinstated.

Shane

sorry to tag all this stuff but I have build 49922 (TRS 12 )are there any patch's from that patch?

Back