Height differences when merging

UnionPacificFan1005

ignore user, GTW foamer
So, I was trying to merge two routes, and it was all going pretty well. However, after I merged, I noticed a bit of a... height discrepancy. Route A (the one that got added onto in surveyor) has a height at the edge of 385.06, while route B (the one that got added to route A) has a height of 190.52. Does anyone know how I can raise the ground level up on route B while retaining all of the terrain features (things like rolling hills)

You can't raise the whole merged route (or lower the other route). The best you can do is play around with the Topology tools, and try to create a gradual incline/decline from one route to the other. It can be a real pain if one is drastically lower or higher than the other.

If route B is small you can use the copy and paste tool to build up a copy of Route B on attached baseboards which have been raised appropriately. Then delete the original baseboards and merge the raised copy with A. It's very laborious and there's also a lot of repairing of broken splines so it's only worth it if route B is a) small and b) something you're desperate to add!

If route B is small you can use the copy and paste tool to build up a copy of Route B on attached baseboards which have been raised appropriately. Then delete the original baseboards and merge the raised copy with A. It's very laborious and there's also a lot of repairing of broken splines so it's only worth it if route B is a) small and b) something you're desperate to add!
I’m having a bit of a hard time following, is there a video or something that demonstrates this?

I’m having a bit of a hard time following, is there a video or something that demonstrates this?

Here... This might help.

You have a route installed and you want to merge another into it. The two routes are at two different heights. To connect them together, you add some blank baseboards to your original route. At the end of the blank baseboards, you attach the other route you want to merge in.

For the kind of merger you want to do, you'll need to put a good number of boards in and when you lay the track down you'll need to swing the track grade back and forth over sweeping curves to connect both routes together to ensure the grade isn't too steep. Once connected over the blank baseboards, you can grade the landscape, put in some hills, plains, meadows, rivers, highways, towns, etc., to fill in the landscape.

After all is landscaped, the end result should be that is difficult to tell where the routes were merged together. In some ways, this becomes an art all in itself. That route in the distance is the Jay Street Connecting Railroad I merged in with my Enfield and Eastern to make up a section of "Hull".

2020-03-09 145126.jpg

Here... This might help.

You have a route installed and you want to merge another into it. The two routes are at two different heights. To connect them together, you add some blank baseboards to your original route. At the end of the blank baseboards, you attach the other route you want to merge in.

For the kind of merger you want to do, you'll need to put a good number of boards in and when you lay the track down you'll need to swing the track grade back and forth over sweeping curves to connect both routes together to ensure the grade isn't too steep. Once connected over the blank baseboards, you can grade the landscape, put in some hills, plains, meadows, rivers, highways, towns, etc., to fill in the landscape.

After all is landscaped, the end result should be that is difficult to tell where the routes were merged together. In some ways, this becomes an art all in itself. That route in the distance is the Jay Street Connecting Railroad I merged in with my Enfield and Eastern to make up a section of "Hull".

View attachment 2377

Oh, manually recreate. Looks like I have some work ahead of me lol. I’ve recently set out on a project to merge a ton of routes modeling southeast Michigan, stuff like dericm’s GTW South East Michigan Lines BETA, CSX PH&D Industrial, GTW Flint Sub, plus CSX Saginaw Revamp and Durand MI T:ANE. Hoping my PC doesn’t crash in the process :/

No video unfortunately, but it sounds as if the mergers you want to do are a bit big for the copy and paste method.

I honestly might do that method, I really don’t mind putting in the work. I know it’ll all pay off when I have pretty much all of eastern Michigan at my disposal.

Well......... suppose route B is small and, say, 30m too low for route A.
Create some blank baseboards attached to route B and then use the plateau tool to raise their general level to 30m.
Use the copy and paste tool to copy manageable sections of the old route B onto the new raised baseboards.
Repair any broken splines and any discontinuities at the joints between the copied/ pasted areas.
Delete the original route B baseboards, leaving only the ones heightened to 30m, which now have the new copy of Route B on them.
Now merge this with route A in the usual manner.
As I said, this is laborious and only worth it if you're sufficiently desperate, but that's up to you!

Oh, manually recreate. Looks like I have some work ahead of me lol. I’ve recently set out on a project to merge a ton of routes modeling southeast Michigan, stuff like dericm’s GTW South East Michigan Lines BETA, CSX PH&D Industrial, GTW Flint Sub, plus CSX Saginaw Revamp and Durand MI T:ANE. Hoping my PC doesn’t crash in the process :/

I have merged successfully the CSX Saginaw sub with the Conrail Lincoln Secondary, CN Holly sub with the Detroit connecting railroads. Just make sure to do them one at a time and save after each merge.

If you have access to surveyor 2.0, you can select a marquee around the route you wish to shange and raise or lower the whole selection.

It's time consuming and slow (at least on my old machine), and takes some trial and error, but I've done it.

Cheers,
Piere.

Well......... suppose route B is small and, say, 30m too low for route A.
Create some blank baseboards attached to route B and then use the plateau tool to raise their general level to 30m.
Use the copy and paste tool to copy manageable sections of the old route B onto the new raised baseboards.
Repair any broken splines and any discontinuities at the joints between the copied/ pasted areas.
Delete the original route B baseboards, leaving only the ones heightened to 30m, which now have the new copy of Route B on them.
Now merge this with route A in the usual manner.
As I said, this is laborious and only worth it if you're sufficiently desperate, but that's up to you!

Having recently done this to add a station on a single baseboard to a larger route I can endorse the fact that this method works, but you have to be fairly determined to try it and in my case it took three attempts to get it right.

Having recently done this to add a station on a single baseboard to a larger route I can endorse the fact that this method works, but you have to be fairly determined to try it and in my case it took three attempts to get it right.

I've done it that way as well and it took me just as long if not longer. I kept wiggling at the last moment and whiffing the placement of the huge chunk I want to place down.

My latest thing is to bypass the merge totally, unless it's easily attached, and use i-Portals to access the individual routes. It's a bit inconvenient but it works quite well because the consists retain their commodities. When they arrive in the connected route, you need to setup their schedules and send them on their way. Pretty simple and clean.

If you have access to surveyor 2.0, you can select a marquee around the route you wish to shange and raise or lower the whole selection.

It's time consuming and slow (at least on my old machine), and takes some trial and error, but I've done it.

Cheers,
Piere.
Would you say it is easier/faster than the method described above with the copy and paste?

Would you say it is easier/faster than the method described above with the copy and paste?

I would say it's easier as you don't have to worry about placing the new content in *just* the right position, as it is the original lanscape and remains where it is, and you can do an entire map at once if you set it up right.

I'm not sure about faster as, at least on my machine, it does take a while for the results of any adjustments to "appear". i.e. I make the selection around the map I want to adjust, make a vertical adjustment, then wait for the changes to actually appear after several seconds, then keep trying until I get close to what I'm after (or "CTRL Z" then try again).

You'll probably also have to go around and fix track & spline heights after the change, but doing it the "paste" way, you still have to do that, and probably more of it too.

Cheers,
Piere.

I would say it's easier as you don't have to worry about placing the new content in *just* the right position, as it is the original lanscape and remains where it is, and you can do an entire map at once if you set it up right.

I'm not sure about faster as, at least on my machine, it does take a while for the results of any adjustments to "appear". i.e. I make the selection around the map I want to adjust, make a vertical adjustment, then wait for the changes to actually appear after several seconds, then keep trying until I get close to what I'm after (or "CTRL Z" then try again).

You'll probably also have to go around and fix track & spline heights after the change, but doing it the "paste" way, you still have to do that, and probably more of it too.

Cheers,
Piere.
Well, this might be what finally gets me to subscribe to Trainz+. Thanks for the help.

Back