Timber Ridge goes standard gauge in 2019

dangavel

Disheartened over losing a lot work on the Uintah, I've retreated to a relatively easy job, revamping the Narrow gauge timber ridge to standard gauge,although its mostly a matter of replacing track and coaling trestles, water tanks and bridges to change * and the flipping tunnels -urggh ) , it also means redesigning some parts of the route such as Tollume pass as the curves are too tight and 6% grades are probably too steep to be prototypical., but it will allow 2-6-6-0 Mallets to pull up the 4'5% grades of the pass , i've also got to change the vegetation and as usual the winter section may look a bit weird as there are not many good snow covered speedtrees out there-anyone got any ideas for which to use?
. I will not be using turf fx or the fancy textures. So far 2019 had crashed on me five times, mostly when saving , which isn't very encouraging.
The 30 inch section will be changed to 3 ft so people will find it easier to run the NG section , i know much of the 30 inch rolling stock wasn't on the DLS and this caused many download issues .
E6Z4Jgt.jpg

ohkvW9k.jpg

tERT6cp.jpg

ebiLngj.jpg

b65oC93.jpg

entering the snowline
r3pzF2K.jpg

PjM3Ssy.jpg

waspfsz.jpg

hVCXmOC.jpg

will modern day freight trains work on this route?
I'm not modernising it, it's a single line , Worked by tokens ( but not having a token system which is too complex to install ) .Thus no block signals, but it's not too big a job to add them. In order to get the trains up tollume with a grade around 4% ( it was nearly 7% in some places ) , I've had to construct a complex set of spirals and loops , it's going to be rather over the top, but it's a fantasy route and there's silver in them thar hills , so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that someone constructed it in order to access the minerals at the top of the pass. I won't be working full time on this, it's just a side project that I can play with that's not too demanding whilst I get my mojo back to tackle the Uintah.

For trees, maybe have a look at the ones by RoysTrainz from his Canadian Rocky Mountains routes?

i'm looking for ones that have permanent snow, most of the route is set in summer ,although i could change that, i'm not using seasonal items, so i need trees that always have some snow covering if possible, i'm using the hemlocks that jango used on rollins pass winter, i will have to change all the jvc seasonal RM items as those billboards do not look not all that convincing when in winter mode. .

Dangavel,
Your screenshots are great, as always. Sorry to hear of the delays and problems on the Unitah. Anything you do with Timber Ridge will be excellent! :cool:

Heinrich505

Dangavel,
Your screenshots are great, as always. Sorry to hear of the delays and problems on the Unitah. Anything you do with Timber Ridge will be excellent! :cool:

Heinrich505

Thanks, i lost about 8 days of work on about 10 miles of the route, 40 boards dropped 500feet and all the contents vanished, it was hidden in map view by textures falsely showing as being there and i only found out over a week later ( fortunately, as I could still be working on it ) but its a big setback , and it made me quite despondent, as it is all prototypical stuff , not easy to replicate. i need something easy to do for a week or two to recover my enthusiasm and see if 2019 is workable for me.

Wow. I am bummed to hear about the work you lost. I wonder if there is any way to recover something like that, but it just sounds so odd.

Where did the 2-6-6-0 come from as I cannot remember.
It's the DN&PR Rollins pass Moffat road mallet 200 class . They were taken over by Drgw and scrapped after the war. I can't remember where I got them , look up in the forum

Wow. I am bummed to hear about the work you lost. I wonder if there is any way to recover something like that, but it just sounds so odd.
I inadvertently allowed by main hard drive to get full, it may haveoccurred then , as I could not save route. I deleted some files, made two backups , saved both to cdp, checked both in map view, looked ok, used the later one . I make multiple Cdps each save , but the later one had corrupted and I merrily saved each version and all had the dropped empty boards error, I had to go back to 21st jan to get a version without the error.iI'd worked on it until about feb 2nd and done a lot of cliff creek work and revegetating in Atchee canyon.so there's a lot of work gone. I probably could merge two versions together but it would mean deleting 70 miles of route in one version and about 7 in another and I don't think I can trust the integrity of the version with the dropped boards. Backups will probably also be corrupted.

Yesterday I worked on the climb from the plain up Tollume pass, it was over 6% and it's now ruling grade of around 4, will it's meant putting in about 10 bridges, four tunnels and a few big embankments, about five loops as it all has to be fitted in a pretty short distance, it would have been ruinously expensive , sort of thing Moffat would have gone for :) Will post some screenshots of it later today .

Yesterday I worked on the climb from the plain up Tollume pass, it was over 6% and it's now ruling grade of around 4, will it's meant putting in about 10 bridges, four tunnels and a few big embankments, about five loops as it all has to be fitted in a pretty short distance, it would have been ruinously expensive , sort of thing Moffat would have gone for :) Will post some screenshots of it later today .

You are right on that. It has been said that the engines took more coal than the payload to go over Rollins Pass.

You are right on that. It has been said that the engines took more coal than the payload to go over Rollins Pass.

probably the big difference would be that there is a payload at the end of this pass, gold silver and coal, plus timber, so there would be a big payback at the end. Very little freight goes up , it will be mostly freight going downhill , a much cheaper enterprise than Rollins as heavy traffic went both ways. Not so high as Rollins pass either, so not snowed in nearly as much. South Park line was another line that had ludicrous conditions in winter and huge costs in creating their routes. Fortunes were thrown away on so many occasions on these routes in the rockies.

probably the big difference would be that there is a payload at the end of this pass, gold silver and coal, plus timber, so there would be a big payback at the end. Very little freight goes up , it will be mostly freight going downhill , a much cheaper enterprise than Rollins as heavy traffic went both ways. Not so high as Rollins pass either, so not snowed in nearly as much. South Park line was another line that had ludicrous conditions in winter and huge costs in creating their routes. Fortunes were thrown away on so many occasions on these routes in the rockies.

Yes, but the South Park Line {I assume we are talking about the Alpine Tunnel route) at least did end up in a rich mining area. Moffat's line just eventually stopped in NW Colorado. It never amounted to much of anything until the Dotsero Cutoff, which joined it to the Denver & Rio Grande line on the Colorado River.

new track at the start of Tollume Pass. Still needs a lot of fine tuning here and there.
I suppose i could have started the climb a bit earlier , but even then, the conditions are so steep and narrow further up I'd still be faced with crazy grades.
4pIjD1o.jpg

7UiSCsQ.jpg

vXH1prN.jpg

even here there a 4.3% grade
IQCVypu.jpg

GVOTHVW.jpg

Zti1oFr.jpg

12 bridges and four tunnels, in about 2 and half miles.... Over the top ?

Last edited:
Dangavel,
Nah, not over the top at all, since the idea is to get over the top of the ridge. :hehe: It looks really cool. With all those loops and whorls, I'm getting a "Philskene" vibe.

You are using two engines, one pulling and one pushing, right? Or are there more engines in the center of the consist?

It really looks super. Thanks for your hard work on this. :cool:

Heinrich505

Dangavel,
Nah, not over the top at all, since the idea is to get over the top of the ridge. :hehe: It looks really cool. With all those loops and whorls, I'm getting a "Philskene" vibe.

You are using two engines, one pulling and one pushing, right? Or are there more engines in the center of the consist?

It really looks super. Thanks for your hard work on this. :cool:

Heinrich505
Two light 2-8-4s and the consolidation, they had no trouble with this load as it was empties.a 2-10 wheel arrangement probably would find some curves a bit tight , but I will try it out , the point was to open it up to more diverse rolling stock, could grant running rights to other lines as well as the Drgw , or create an actual timber ridge line roster, I don't drive much as too busy route building, but I have always liked driving this route and it is a lot of fun doing it as I can just forget about being accurate to a specific prototype.

Back