Content that is Open For Edit

brucem56

First, apologize if this is in the wrong forum, wasn't quite sure what to put it under.

Two part question:

1. What causes content to have the designation "Open for edit". Other than the obvious I mean - if the user opens it to edit, yes I understand that. What else causes an item to be "open for edit"?

I have a ton of items marked like that, and I know I've never opened them to edit anything such as the config, etc.

2. What is the best course of action for items that have this designation - submit edits, revert to original? Does it mater if it's payware or not?

Thanks for any/all help with this, much appreciated.

Cheers
Bruce

Last edited:
If you download a new asset that requires dependencies you already have newer versions of, sometimes during the installation process it will open the newer version for editing, decide it doesn't need to install the older version, but then doesn't bother to close the edit. I normally just submit all edits.

There are two causes.

1) You've had a crash and the route you were working on is open along with the temporary files.

You go in and revert or save the changes when loading the route up again (I can't remember the exact wording), and continue on where you left off.

2) You install stuff from a third-party via CDPs, for example, stuff from Jointed Rail or elsewhere including your own saved content.

In this instance, it's a fail-safe mechanism. Rather than just overwriting already installed content the assets remain open for edit for review. I wish there was an option for this, or a message that says when installing from content packs assets will remain open for edit if they are already installed. When installing content from CDPs, revert these assets since they are already installed. I keep the Open for Edit filter in view when installing stuff from CDPs and go back and revert the open for edit assets later.

For the leftovers from a crash, you can go back at a later date and remove the old temporary files - they show up as "new asset" but contain route parts, after you have saved the route or session and continued on. In this case, I always wait a day or two before I clean up to ensure that I don't delete something in haste, and by clean-up I mean delete these since they're long old - I always check the date too just to make sure.

There are two causes.

2) You install stuff from a third-party via CDPs, for example, stuff from Jointed Rail or elsewhere including your own saved content.

In this instance, it's a fail-safe mechanism. Rather than just overwriting already installed content the assets remain open for edit for review. I wish there was an option for this, or a message that says when installing from content packs assets will remain open for edit if they are already installed. When installing content from CDPs, revert these assets since they are already installed. I keep the Open for Edit filter in view when installing stuff from CDPs and go back and revert the open for edit assets later.

It may also be possible, that a creator of an asset on a third party site is making a new version of an asset but is not using kuid2:x:y:1, that is, he is using the same kuid (e.g. sometimes Jointedrail; the problem is, the maximal number for an asset is kuid2:x:y:256, that is 256 versions). In this case the installed asset will be opened for edit too, but because the new installed asset is indeed the newer one, you have to commit the open asset and the new version of the asset is installed. It is sometimes very difficult to decide, if there is such a case.

Regards
Swordfish

It may also be possible, that a creator of an asset on a third party site is making a new version of an asset but is not using kuid2:x:y:1, that is, he is using the same kuid (e.g. sometimes Jointedrail; the problem is, the maximal number for an asset is kuid2:x:y:127, that is 128 versions). In this case the installed asset will be opened for edit too, but because the new installed asset is indeed the newer one, you have to commit the open asset and the new version of the asset is installed. It is sometimes very difficult to decide, if there is such a case.

Regards
Swordfish

Yes. I forgot about those cases and they do occur. Justin or one of the guys over at Jointed Rail will tell us to overwrite the assets if necessary.

Last edited:
If you have an asset with 127 do check the versions for that kuid. 127 was given to some assets in the past by error and if a new version with a lower number is released it wont show or download.

Back