First Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vern/ Boleyd - Heh! Funnily enough, I seem to recall that you two made similar dire prognostications about T:ANE when it first came into your possession and about how good its predecessor was by comparison. (Check your own historic forum posts to see what I'm saying...!)

Probably true. TANE improved at least up to SP1 HF4 then the thing went skewy again and reached a halfway house with its final iteration. There is no doubt TRS2019 has potential and no doubt like looking at a bad road accident I will be drawn back to it, but the whole thing is frankly dysfunctional and fractured. We have an overhauled graphics engine bundled with ancient content plucked from the DLS under N3V's arcane licencing system. TurfX and Clutter has even seasoned route builders scratching their heads as do the wibbly wobbly PBR textures. Setting environmental effects to avoid things looking like a coat of gloss varnish has been applied under the Arabian Desert sun is a total lottery. Basic features every train sim should have like an easy way to organise a timetable operation and the AI to take care of routing the player train still elude the people responsible for the spaghetti code, as do vacuum and other braking systems.

Interesting reading - and yes it does seem echo some what was said on the introduction of TANE. So to continue the echo - I downloaded some of the routes said to be available from within the game - BR(WR)V3 Suburban, BR(WR) Mainline, BR Southern Region-Brighton, Robertsbridge to Headcorn and GWR Ashington. Download and installation were fine, but they all arrived with a raft of missing, faulty and unknown
dependencies! The missing ones were easy as they seemed to be all available for download from the DLS. I checked out the faulty ones and it seems that the ones that had arrived are the latest versions (many of them with out of date build numbers): the unknowns remain unknown of course.
I know this has been a perennial problem, and that content creators are faced with huge amounts of work to modify assets, but why are these routes said to be available when manifestly they are not ready for use?

Having said that, 2019 looks promising. In general the graphics are good but everything does look rather to clean and sharp to be "properly" realistic. I moved my own major route from TANE to 2019 and the whole process was quite smooth and simple (an initial
problem with lighting - now sorted - and some assets, especially foliage, appear a little strange).
A number of assets "went missing" but these were all found and downloaded from the DLS without problems. The only resultant problem is that many of my roads and some stretches of track are floating some 25cm above the ground,
with a very black shadow underneath
(it doesn't in TANE) and I am finding it almost impossible to get them at ground level without causing further problems (using the spline levelling tool, for instance, simply restored the gap. (Incidental reference to another thread on this forum).

On the whole, I think a better experience (so far) then the move to TANE - I eagerly await the tweaks and fixes that will undoubtedly follow.

Shame, the game really looked good in the initial Beta.

<snipped out image>

That look is unachievable in the present form.

Same scene same settings.

<snipped out image>

From the shadows the two images are "taken" at different times and so the environmental lighting settings are probably not the same.

The settings for all the daylight times are the same, duh!!!

Not usually. If you look at the time dial on the Environment tool lighting tab the settings are controlled by the "green dot" control points. In between those control points, the lighting values "morph" from one point to the next. The only way that they can be the same is when the surrounding points are set to the exact same RGB, brightness (for TRS19), skybox, and fog values. If that is what you have done then you are correct and I am wrong.

Harold - If they indeed are shot at exactly the same time, then the direction of shadows shows that someone has definitely changed the World Origin for that route and the values for Sunlight, Ambient lighting, Brightness, fog and Post Processing settings in the Session.
An approximate 2 month seasonal change difference might also be evident.
The procedural track has either been changed or is missing a texture as evidenced by the green tinge.
Both scenes feature a poor selection of legacy speed trees and 2D spline grass. They do not take advantage of any of the new parallax and PBR texture features.

Harold - If they indeed are shot at exactly the same time, then the direction of shadows shows that someone has definitely changed the World Origin for that route and the values for Sunlight, Ambient lighting, Brightness, fog and Post Processing settings in the Session.
An approximate 2 month seasonal change difference might also be evident.
The procedural track has either been changed or is missing a texture as evidenced by the green tinge.
Both scenes feature a poor selection of legacy speed trees and 2D spline grass. They do not take advantage of any of the new parallax and PBR texture features.
Just didn't change the time. The original shot I moved the time to show how good the game looked.

Rebuilding the route is your answer for the failings of TRS2019.

Really, rebuild Derrmy's EK3.

My solution is just go back to TANE. The legacy stuff works.

tane_ek3_1.jpg

Harold

Here is a picture from June 2018, TRS2019 isn't as good in the present iteration.

trs19_37.jpg

Just sayin'
Harold

Last edited:
"Cartoonish" doesn't really give us sufficient information to either make any changes or explain what options are available to change things. Are you talking about colour? Shadows? Something else?

Perhaps point out the differences on specific assets, with a comment like "the one on the left is brighter/lighter/washed out/something else".

"Cartoonish" doesn't really give us sufficient information to either make any changes or explain what options are available to change things. Are you talking about colour? Shadows? Something else?

Perhaps point out the differences on specific assets, with a comment like "the one on the left is brighter/lighter/washed out/something else".
The game looks like a CGI cartoon.

cartoon_1.jpg

Nothing there looks real except the locomotive.

Even 11 year old Railworks looks better.

bergen_1.jpg

Harold

Last edited:
Two differences I quickly noticed:

• Look at the ballast under the track in both screenshots. Which looks more realistic?
  • Look at the track sleepers (ties). Which looks more 3D?

Two differences I quickly noticed:

• Look at the ballast under the track in both screenshots. Which looks more realistic?
  • Look at the track sleepers (ties). Which looks more 3D?

The track in the RW image looks like a TS2009/TS2010 asset.

How bout this one.

canadian_1.jpg

If all you can talk about is the old 2007 track then you ain't got much game.

Harold

Harold, you would need to set up the same scene in both simulators to be able to give a fair and accurate comparison. I have never owned Railworks and know almost nothing about it and the visual quality of its assets. I know even less about US locos and rolling stock so I could not comment on them. Therefore the track, rocks and vegetation are all that I can compare and even then the vegetation samples shown are not the same species.

With regard to ballast, in fairness none of the sims really does this effectively with the random look of the prototype! Whether it's MSTS, RW/TS or Trainz the one constant is that uniform "berm" on which the track is laid, on top of the billiard table terrain. Take a look at any cab ride video on YouTube and you will see how the appearance constantly changes, brown into dark grey or clean limestone and back again, an oil stain here, bit of foliage growing through there. Very hard to get that into the sim, certainly while we are laying track as a specific object. When DTG release their editor for Train Sim World it will be interesting to see how the UE4 based process handles and if it is possible to achieve a more integrated look.

There is no doubt in my mind that RW/TS has a better overall visual appeal than Trainz, even 19. Try their Kings Cross to Peterborough route and compare that with the same section of the ECML in TRS2019, even if you can get the environment tweaked right. The problem there specifically is the ongoing insistence of using 10yo (or more) assets and textures rather than using something specifically created for the latest version. Same goes for the cabs and sound issue - there are talented creators out there as can be seen by the work being done for RW/TS, TSW, Zusi 3 - even legacy MSTS and Open Rails. it just seems none of them want to turn that talent to Trainz. N3V should perhaps be asking themselves, "Why?", then maybe we could move forward from stuff aliased to the ancient Red Hen cab or 2001 Alco sounds.

I was a total Luddite over the Early Access version of TS2019 and after a slightly rocky start with the final release version which I think was most probably due to the game engine still working at sorting all the new downloaded files and the 'lazy dust' getting knocked out of my graphics card I have to say I'm delighted. I find myself think about moving my own routes over from TS2012 and notably I'm not running TS2012 anything like as much as I was. Since my past attitude was that nothing was going to pry me away from TS2012 ever this is pretty darn amazing.

And what a difference. This is a screenshot taken in my 'Cairnrigg to Balessie' route which I moved across from TS2012 with almost no problems at all. All the misty cloud and muted light settings I set up in TS2012 transferred over just fine and in TS2019 they look even better than they did before. The locomotive is a very old Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway saddle tank dating from the late TS2004 era and it's perfectly fine in TS2019 and is looking better now than it has ever done in any other Trainz version. All my own UK pre-grouping goods wagon models work just fine in TS2019 too.
I didn't think it was possible to get rid of the nuclear blast flash lighting effects in TS2019, but as you can see from the screenshot it can be done and very convincingly too.

2NNGquK.jpg

Haven't done a lot since last post except moving the Pick List and doing comparisons on track and textures to upgrade
But have noticed quite a few of the Loco's and Rolling Stock which I thought looked good in Tane now look like cardboard cutouts in TRS2019
The detail and colors are not up there with what TRS2019 have to offer.

As far as the " cartoonish look " I can't see that and never have,unless Thomas and Friends are being used

I see it more as a great big " Remote Control Model Train Layout " regardless of the version.
You make it what you want it to be. Run it how you want to and be able to change just about anything you want.
It has realism in the way it's built and the models used to simulate real life
But it will never be real, your imagination while Building Routes or Driving along them is what you have to rely on to make it seem real.

'

@Kotangagirl, i am very happy seeing the result you achieved and your posts are a pleasure to read!
Besides 2 of the 3 known 'trolls' feel they have to do their posts (and show their attitude) every year, the rest of the trainz community moves on with a big big smile into a bright and promising future.

I think all things considered n3v and the community has done a marvelous job!!!!

Happy holidays and happy and healthy new year from Ning and me.:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back