UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Good shot Lewisner.
Yes, Newbottle Lane SB (AKA Dubmire Lane SB) is an elusive one. An everyday work item which was evidently invisible to people going about their daily business.
According to the NERA Signal Cabin Register between 1895 and 1926 it was a ground box of Northern Division Type 2 and built in brick. Details were 14 levers and 11 ft 8 in long with the width also 11 ft 8 in. So, a square box with an operating floor height only 7 ft 8 in above rail level. This was superseded in 1926 by the box which would remain until March 1966 but the register is silent on the details. My opinion is that it won't have been any larger than its predecessor except for possibly the height of the operating floor level. A higher viewpoint would have been useful when motor traffic was expanding.

Re post #3834 Paulsw2
Hello Paul,
the wooden boxes are by Wujek 082 <kuid:440847:50436> get them here http://trainzart.pl/downloads.php?cat_id=2. I've sunk them in the ground by -1
The signal box is by Steve Flanders get it here http://www.jatws.org/ing4trainz/gwr-buildings.htm
Both sites have lots of other excellent stuff.

Cheers, Ken

Thanks Ken - I've had this signal box downloaded since 2018! Just goes to show how easy it is to forget what you've got installed. Thanks for the reminder - this box is exactly what I've been looking for.

Paul

Good shot Lewisner.
Yes, Newbottle Lane SB (AKA Dubmire Lane SB) is an elusive one. An everyday work item which was evidently invisible to people going about their daily business.
According to the NERA Signal Cabin Register between 1895 and 1926 it was a ground box of Northern Division Type 2 and built in brick. Details were 14 levers and 11 ft 8 in long with the width also 11 ft 8 in. So, a square box with an operating floor height only 7 ft 8 in above rail level. This was superseded in 1926 by the box which would remain until March 1966 but the register is silent on the details. My opinion is that it won't have been any larger than its predecessor except for possibly the height of the operating floor level. A higher viewpoint would have been useful when motor traffic was expanding.

Thanks for the info ! I used to have a photocopy of an NER Proposals For The Introduction Of Block Signalling from Kew PRO dated 1874 and the Inspector wrote in disparaging terms about the boxes at Dubmire and Adventure Pit where I think he said the former was a crude wooden hut with a tarpaulin over the roof. If it was replaced in 1926 my guess would be that it was similar to Coxgreen box which was replaced when Lambton Junction box closed and the junction was worked by Motor Points from Coxgreen. I did a reskin of Mark's Menheniot Signal Box a many years ago and here it is watching over 55010 heading south on a Sunday diversion. I use the NSWGR signals on the NCB lines because, although they are not slotted posts, they have the dirty and rundown look I associate with NCB lines.

55010 at Newbottle Lane 26.4.2021 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

re post #3871 johnwhelan
Hello John, I get a B&W mood now and then, suspect I will have to move to TS19.
re post #3872 Heinrich505
Thanks for the compliment Gary.
re post #3873 Tanker46
Goodly shots from Dearnby. I hope the Welshman releases the auto carriages. He did some MK1 coaches that needed a few additions, such as running numbers to make them top notch.
Re post #3874 KotangaGirl
Good to see a bendorsey swing bridge.
re post #3881 borderreiver
Early morning shots most acceptable.

Still in TANE

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, Ken

A plethora of great Western locos on show there Ken. You might enjoy taking a look at the Banbury shed article on Steve Banks' website.
Taillight98, re post# 3887, where is that on your route?

Very nice screenshot & impressive loco in NB livery as well complete with headboard. On my pic the G5 is leaving Wragby for Louth. I read some worked in GE territory so poached one for Lincs branch line.
I had not realised there was such a large shed at Scarborough but can understand as well as serving the York Leeds & ECML the line Bridlington & Hull plus Whitby & Saltburn even Pickering via the Forge Valley also at one time.

re post #3889 borderreiver
Hello Frank, thanks for the Steve Banks website. Banbury shed certainly a place to see locos from the Big Four plus BR Standards.

My first screenshot shown below, shows the loco with reporting number 400 the 19:05 FO Sheffield---Penzance, summer of 1958, any idea of what the passenger stock was ??.
Headcodes/Reporting numbers from the https://davidheyscollection.myshopb...iesel-photo-collection-23-br-western-region-3

http://images.n3vgames.com/trainzpo...ts/245443/1000/My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, Ken

Last edited:
Nice screenshots & I like the reporting number attached to the loco. I am able to confirm that during late 1950;s during the holiday season a rake of ex GWR stock used to be at Sheffield as on a Sunday was sometimes used on the Angler excursions to Lincolnshire Boston or Woodhall Junction. I used to use these trains from a local station to get back to Sheffield & on to Liverpool in those days. The excursions ran from mid June to almost Christmas & it was novel to be in ex GWR stock on my trips back to Liverpool. Excursions used to start at Wadsley Bridge station. Think I spotted a Grange in your pics which is nice to see.

re post #3889 borderreiver
Hello Frank, thanks for the Steve Banks website. Banbury shed certainly a place to see locos from the Big Four plus BR Standards.

My first screenshot shown below, shows the loco with reporting number 400 the 19:05 FO Sheffield---Penzance, summer of 1958, any idea of what the passenger stock was ??.
Headcodes/Reporting numbers from the https://davidheyscollection.myshopb...iesel-photo-collection-23-br-western-region-3

http://images.n3vgames.com/trainzpo...ts/245443/1000/My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, Ken

Aha! Doing some tinkering with locomotive skins again Ken? That's a really fine Grange model you made! I'm assuming it was made using the Manor as a base? :)

Also I'm loving those designation boards! All the Western Region Expresses had those and I think it's the first I've seen in Trainz! Well Done!!

Hello LandyRailwayman, regarding post #3894, the Consett Iron Company A Class long boilered 0-6-0ST is payware and can be bought from Paul Mace (barn700) of PaulzTrainz. The A Class dates back to around 1879 and was built for the CIC by several contractors. The Saddle tank version gave way to a pannier tank version (which is also available from Paul). The last A class 0-6-0PT was built as late as 1940. When the National Coal Board came in to being in 1947 all the A class which were working at the CIC's collieries and at Derwentheugh coke works were taken over by the NCB. It is from this group that the preserved A Class was saved.

Here, on a misty morning, a pannier tank A Class, No.8 approaches Templetown level crossing at Consett. Just visible in the background through the smoke is Carr House West signal box.

Last edited:
Wow, -Excellent WR screenshots there Ken.

Ex NER/LNER G5 0-4-4T covering for ex GC N5 0-6-2T which was not available today.

Sometimes I'm naughty too tailight and run a G5 in sacred GER territory as well.

4DURDkl.jpg

Testing the smaller version of my Norfolk route in TMR2017. The built in portals in TMR2017 work flawlessly and in general this version of Trainz just does what it says on the tin without any fuss.

My usual hazy Summer afternoon environmental settings. And they are oh so easy to adjust and setup.

C7pLxF4.jpg

It's getting a little busy at the joint line station at Brenton Wood.

sNmcqh1.jpg

94xx class loco 8481 is down at Ashburton to work the morning 'up' milk train. Seen here simmering in the early morning sun alongside Ashburton's imposing signal box.

2021-04-30-002079 by paulsw2, on Flickr

Having coaled and watered, she backs onto the milk tankers waiting in platform two.

2021-04-30-002089 by paulsw2, on Flickr

And finally away - looks like it's going to be another glorious summer morning in Devon!

2021-04-30-002099 by paulsw2, on Flickr

Thanks to Ken for the reskin of George's great model. Also to Steve Flanders for the signal box - I'd had it for three years and not noticed! I think it's a great addition to the Ashburton Route.

Paul

Re post #3893 tailight98
Thanks for the info.
re post #3895 Tanker46
Yes it's skipper1945's Manor, I fancied something a bit more beefy than a Manor, a trawl of the web for Grange nameplates and away you go.
The headboard is also by skipper1945, look for GWR King Edward II Headboard <kuid2:116296:20063:3>, it comes as a pantograph, clone and convert to a product, config alterations needed.
Lots of info on the late David Heys's website on Headboards plus other treasures.
re post #3896 bordereiver
Nice misty shot of the A class, preserved at the North Tyneside Railway.
re post #3897 KotangaGirl
Thanks for the compliment Annie.
re post #3898 Paulsw2
Your route is looking very tasty.

More headcodes

Cheers, evilcrow

Back